Splitting Threads

kluson

Hi all

I have been using the Petitjean threads but they are a little limited in colour. I use it because it splits so well. What threads do you find splits well but has a bigger palette of colours preferably 8/0 or less. What's your favourite

Thanks
D

baca157

Any threads will split well (in my opinion). It’s just that twisted threads like Uni need untwisted before splitting. I use Uni thread for most of my tying and split it on regular basis and never had any issues. Flat threads like UTC are, of course, easier to split.

Saying that, I never tried splitting Pearsall’s Gossamer. I’ll be tying some Clyde Style wets in the coming days so will try splitting it and will report back(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian

Vermontdrifter

I use Fish On Ultimate tying thread . . .

I really like using this but when tying on any type of hair wing I find it helps to wax just a little as otherwise the hair has a tendency to slip. Only thread and only circumstance aside from touch dubbing where I use wax.

kluson

If you can't split it, why not just form a form a dubbing loop
As I said in the original post I'm using Petitjean and can split it , it's just a little limited in colour palette, just interested as to what other splitters used, that's all.

easker1

when I tied Salmon flies I used Coates Gossamer,and it split well for tying trout flies, I think there's a couple in my box , it was one of the early synthetics, easker1

bluezulu49

A bit late but this might help. Last year I bought a 1000m spool of Pegasus GSP Power Silk in 12/0 white. It is very strong, cheap at just over €28 delivered, splits very well and takes colour from indelible markers. This has made a huge difference to me in reducing the bulk of my flies. Only drawback is that it is quite slippery and will test the sharpness of your scissors. I use it for most of my flies now.

arkle

M.P's threads are the same as & come from the same factory as Danville's 6/0. M.P. also sells scissors that are available quite commonly for inflated prices.

kluson

M.P's threads are the same as & come from the same factory as Danville's 6/0. M.P. also sells scissors that are available quite commonly for inflated prices.
Everything MP is expensive. The scissors are not so long lasting either. Best go to the maker directly and not MP or Rubis.