Sport or hobby?

BobP

It's both. The "sport" is called fishing or angling if you prefer. The "hobby" refers to the personal activity. Like many hobbies it can become an obsession.

linkledger

Definitely a Hobby

HOBBY; an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

SPORT; an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

cammy

Definitely a Hobby

SPORT; an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

What happens when we have international teams competing against each other?

Cap'n Fishy

Definitely a Hobby

If I remember correctly, it used to always be called a 'pastime' - Don't know when the word 'sport' crept in. I personally do not like the word as it implies that we are 'playing' toying with a live animal - which we are off course!

Douglas

I think it depends on how you define 'sport'. We all talk about a day's fishing in terms of whether we had some decent 'sport' or not, don't we?

In the top instance, the 'another' being competed against is the fish. That is the 'sport'.

Douglas's implication is of course correct - though we may not like to admit it.

I once heard it said (can't remember where) that there are only 3 sports: hunting, shooting and fishing. All the rest are just games.

Col

linkledger

Don't think there is much physical exertion even in international competition.

Think pastime is a better phrase; Definition of pastime - an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

parrot

I would be hard pushed to call fishing a sport. I am happy with hobby or pastime. Even calling competition a sport would be over egging it in my eyes.

wobbly face

Don't think there is much physical exertion even in international competition.

Think pastime is a better phrase; Definition of pastime - an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

Have you tried river fly fishing competitions? :eek:
At the end of the day, it's what we make it. Fishing alone, with others, open comps for individuals or team comps. So...... past time/hobby, sport and way of life if guiding or ghillying. It can be relaxing, active, thought provoking/technical and dammed frustrating. :eek:hno:

BobP

I would be hard pushed to call fishing a sport. I am happy with hobby or pastime. Even calling competition a sport would be over egging it in my eyes.

Fly fishing competitions, whether river or lake, entail a fair amount of effort and physical exertion. Try an 8 hour loch style comp for size and see how you feel when you come off the water. In that 8 hours you may well have cast 6-, 7- or even 800 times depending on the style you adopt, and don't try saying there is no physical exertion in casting, especially from a sitting position. Then there is the time pressure and the constant thought processes that go into endeavouring to catch the fish. There is a lot more to it than your average day on the bank when you can sit, take a break for lunch or have a coffee when you feel like it.

In river comps there are four sessions and you have to catch fish in each session to be in with a chance. Four 1.5 hour sessions, and each one a little competition in its own right and the fish getting harder and harder to find and catch as the day wears on. Add to that the walking and wading and you can't wander along and take your time about it, because time is your enemy.

I've done both disciplines and there wasn't a day I didn't leave the water feeling pretty well wrung out.

I'm now a fly fishing guide on the chalkstreams and that brings its own set of pleasures and stresses. I'm being paid and the clients look upon me and my colleagues as "experts". We know the water and the methods. We have the ability to spot feeding fish and identify how to catch them. We feel under an obligation to do all in our power to get the clients to catch a few fish. Sometimes even a modest grayling can be the difference between an ordinary day and a good one.

I looked after an American client on the Avon at the end of October. He's never caught grayling before and at close of play he'd caught 25 and drove off out of the car park singing. I wondered to myself how many he would have caught if I hadn't been there, and having seen his fly box I am pretty confident that the answer would have been none. Size 16 shrimps and hare's ears sent him back to London happy. I went home knackered.

whitehorses

Is fishing/angling a sport or just a hobby...interesting. Is Fishing Considered a Sport or a Hobby?

Hobby definition, an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Sport definition, an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature,

you will never know as its an individuals thing

Last edited:

don1971

I once heard it said (can't remember where) that there are only 3 sports: hunting, shooting and fishing. All the rest are just games.

Col

^This is the answer. Unfortunately modern snowflake ways of thinking have pushed what was traditionally called sport into pastime/hobbies, and physical games for not very bright people that are good at running around and throwing/kicking things, into ‘sport’.
IMO, any activity that involves a ball, or thrown projectile is a game.
‘Sport’ is a term that’s best left for humourously abusing things, like apprentices, gormless mates, or edible wildlife.

whitehorses

IMO, any activity that involves a ball, or thrown projectile is a game.
‘Sport’ is a term that’s best left for humourously abusing things, like apprentices, gormless mates, or edible wildlife.

is not throwing a fly(projectile?) at a fish a game then?
thats why its game fishing

and
is sport not sticking a hook in a fish mouth?(abusing) and then throwing it on a pan to eat

whitehorses

they have nothing else to do but accumalate some more knowledge,
maybe thats why they joined the forum in the first place,
THE PROBLEM WITH KNOWLEDGE IS THE MORE YOU HAVE THE HARDER IT GETS

baztek1

Like all things fly fishing it is many different things to many different people.

But as fly fishers we like to question things and put a label on it.

is a klinkhammer really a dry fly ? Is bung fishing really ....? Are traditional wets just lures ? Is Czech nymphing fly fishing ? Is fly fishing Hobby or sort ?

For some it will be one or the other maybe both. I believe it can be argued as either depending on the persons perspective.

For me personally it way surpassed hobby a long time ago so I suppose I’m with Jim it is most definitely a way of life has been for a long time now.

I love it my wife not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

morayfisher

For me it is purely a hobby / pastime.

It takes both body and mind to quiet, beautiful places and away from the stresses of daily life.
Personally, I don't want to bring any sort of competition to my angling, each to their own.

Latest posts