Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 146 Posts
Fly fishing Freestone rivers can be enduring at the best of times , covering a mile and half of river over 6 to 7 hours is more tiring than working on site , miss coating a couple of 4 bedroom new builds .

Fishing in competitions is a sport otherwise, as Jim says, it's an integral part of our lives, in which I've indulged ever since the age of 5 (and that's a hell of a long time).

Its at least 3 things I would say, sport insofar as competitions go. Most people fish for leisure or pleasure so it is a hobby in that respect, and some people make a living out of it so it is a job as well.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I keep being told to shut up in the pub, talking about fishing to the uninitiated, so where else better to have a brew or 6, talking about fishing than a fishing forum?

I keep being told to shut up in the pub, talking about fishing to the uninitiated, so where else better to have a brew or 6, talking about fishing than a fishing forum?
I try and pop for a pint for a few hours one day a week, I always take a fishing magazine with me and pop it on the bar or table next to me, in the hope it attracts conversation about fly fishing..... I think that about proves my obsession. And it works too, 9 times out of 10.

Respect to all Fly Fishers....

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Another time, during an angling club committee meeting (in November), I was asked to keep quiet while the conversation was about shooting foxes....

Whatever you wish to call fly fishing, be it sport, hobby or pastime, once you've been involved with it for a good few decades, you should certainly be able to look back and regard your time spent as a parallel education in your life. Apart from fishing matters, you'll have been further educated in subjects such as wildlife, weather, environment, hunting, bush craft etc. And all for free. :thumbs:

The word 'sport' originated from the older word 'disport', Chaucer being the original user, in terms of enjoying ones self with a hint of not taking it too seriously, I might be wrong but I believe he used it to describe the activity of painting women 'disporting' of themselves beside a lake, as in frolic.

Describes my view of fly fishing perfectly, I am often found to be disporting myself at the waters edge:)

The word 'sport' originated from the older word 'disport', Chaucer being the original user, in terms of enjoying ones self with a hint of not taking it too seriously, I might be wrong but I believe he used it to describe the activity of painting women 'disporting' of themselves beside a lake, as in frolic.
Geoffrey Chaucer was one of the first writers to amuse the reading public with the verb "disport." Chaucer and his contemporaries carried the word into English from Anglo-French, adapting it from desporter, meaning "to carry away, comfort, or entertain." or take pleasure( It includes more specific mental states such as happiness, entertainment, enjoyment, ecstasy, and euphoria.). so it probrally is a sport.
and reference" hobby," ,
hobby is a" leisure activity, leisure pursuit, leisure interest or amateur interest"
so it can be both depending on the idividual . so how serious do people get then about fishing?thats the answer i think

Geoffrey Chaucer was one of the first writers to amuse the reading public with the verb "disport." Chaucer and his contemporaries carried the word into English from Anglo-French, adapting it from desporter, meaning "to carry away, comfort, or entertain." or take pleasure( It includes more specific mental states such as happiness, entertainment, enjoyment, ecstasy, and euphoria.). so it probrally is a sport.
and reference" hobby," ,
hobby is a" leisure activity, leisure pursuit, leisure interest or amateur interest"
so it can be both depending on the idividual . so how serious do people get then about fishing?thats the answer i think
He also invented Twitter apparently.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.