Fly Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 146 Posts
He also invented Twitter apparently.
yep about 6-7 hundred years after he died, now thats amazing,
any way, if you like to fish for pleasure only, its a hobby,laid back and relaxing
if you want to fish in competitions thats fine, it then becomes a sport
frustrating and chalenging,
and if you want to fish for remuneration/money then and only then it becomes a way of life

me i just fish for trout and i am happy doing so
is this not what its all about?

yep about 6-7 hundred years after he died, now thats amazing,
any way, if you like to fish for pleasure only, its a hobby,laid back and relaxing
if you want to fish in competitions thats fine, it then becomes a sport
frustrating and chalenging,
and if you want to fish for remuneration/money then and only then it becomes a way of life

me i just fish for trout and i am happy doing so
is this not what its all about?
In a nut, yes, you can't define fly fishing as a sport or hobby, only people that do it for whatever reasons they chose.

Didn't Gombrich write 'there is no such thing as art, only artists'.

I consider fishing just a hobby, but it can be both a sport and a hobby. For me, fishing is an excellent reason to spend more time with my loved ones and talk to my sons. But sport for me means going to the gym. I train four times a week and try to keep fit. Lately, I started to find out about steroid use. There is more debate on this topic at https://www.theihcc.com/best-place-to-buy-sarms/ than about whether fishing is a sport or a hobby. What do you think is worth consuming?

This thread reminds me of a story about an upper class youngster from an exclusive private school going for an interview at a university.

He was asked if he liked sport, to which he replied something along the lines of "Oh yes, I shoot pheasant, partridge and grouse, fish for salmon twice a year in Scotland and still occasionally ride to hounds". The interviewer replied "I was referring to rugby, football, tennis, etc.".

To which the young chap replied "Oh, you mean games!".

Fly fishing for trout and salmon is traditionally classed as sport. It's actually the word sport that has been misappropriated over the last century or so.

Hugh Falkus wtote that before WW11 for something to qualify as a sport you had to kill something.
Since then the media has adopted the term for all sorts of things such as football, cricket and darts!
You will be aware that we have the Olympic Games not Olympic Sports.

I quote John Gierach as writing ' Calling flyfishing a pastime is like saying a brain surgeon has got a job!'

Rusty

This thread reminds me of a story about an upper class youngster from an exclusive private school going for an interview at a university.

He was asked if he liked sport, to which he replied something along the lines of "Oh yes, I shoot pheasant, partridge and grouse, fish for salmon twice a year in Scotland and still occasionally ride to hounds". The interviewer replied "I was referring to rugby, football, tennis, etc.".

To which the young chap replied "Oh, you mean games!".

Fly fishing for trout and salmon is traditionally classed as sport. It's actually the word sport that has been misappropriated over the last century or so.
'sport' was used to differentiate between fishing for the pot and fishing for leisure, Victorian gentlemen did it for fun hence 'for sport'.

Sport now generally means professional competition, quite a different meaning, but I'd agree that football and tennis are games, until we watch them on tv..as sport.

'sport' was used to differentiate between fishing for the pot and fishing for leisure, Victorian gentlemen did it for fun hence 'for sport'.

Sport now generally means professional competition, quite a different meaning, but I'd agree that football and tennis are games, until we watch them on tv..as sport.
Think I said that in post #7? :unsure:

Way back when, prior to political correctness, used to be always "Field Sports" refering to the fishing, shooting and hunting brigades, was labelled Blood Sports by antis.
Now seems to be outdoors sports!
Football, rugby et all are still games though!
But they can all be said to be the participants hobby!

That people make a point you think sounds like something you said three years ago?
If a point was made 3 years ago, and someone repeats it in the exact same thread 3 years later, it's still just plagiarism. FFS!

41 - 60 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.