Fly Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 146 Posts
It's not actually and it wasn't really the same point.
It was the same point.

It's simple manners. Any time I go to make a point in a thread, I check it to make sure I am not just repeating something someone else has said. If I see the point has been made, I'll leave it. If I miss seeing it and make the point and then someone mentions that the point has been made, then I will apologise to that person and delete my superfluous addition. If it has a slight angle on it, then all it needs is to add an acknowledgement... along the lines of... "Just to add to what so-and-so said upthread..." ;)

I would ask, "Is it just me?" But I know it is not. I know others who think it is bad manners to post a point that has already been posted in the same thread with no acknowledgment that they are basically repeating what has already been said. It's like an all male version of the running Fast Show sketch...

But hey, you carry on if you think it's OK. I am maybe overly touchy on the subject, due to a particular member of this forum who completely ignores what anyone else says on a subject, and gives his own version of events, regardless if it amounts to a simple duplication of what you have just said. Pop B, I think his name is... :unsure:

Two pages back the word 'desport' was brought up and discussed. To me in my ignorance it pretty confirmed what I've believed all along. It's both, and to what degree it is more a sport or more a hobby depends upon the individual and seriously, he/she takes it and what he/she wants it to be.

"Gutting an antelope, bloody to his elbows and reaching for viscera deep within the body cavity, Tom McGuane tells us of his sudden awareness that 'This is goddammed serious.' Precisely the same holds for fishing, even if there are fewer guts or none at all.
..........and............ I fish as often as I can, invariably with great pleasure, and frankly I don't often give these things much thought. But when I do they are the reason fishing makes sense, what makes fishing a serious business and seperates it from some thing like golf, which will always be simply a sport because at it's core it has no meaning. Fishing is not apart from life nor like life, and is no more a "metaphor for life than a pregnant woman is.
It is the thing itself."

Ted Leeson, The Habit of Rivers.
Highly recommend this book btw.
Simon.

"Gutting an antelope, bloody to his elbows and reaching for viscera deep within the body cavity, Tom McGuane tells us of his sudden awareness that 'This is goddammed serious.' Precisely the same holds for fishing, even if there are fewer guts or none at all.
..........and............ I fish as often as I can, invariably with great pleasure, and frankly I don't often give these things much thought. But when I do they are the reason fishing makes sense, what makes fishing a serious business and seperates it from some thing like golf, which will always be simply a sport because at it's core it has no meaning. Fishing is not apart from life nor like life, and is no more a "metaphor for life than a pregnant woman is.
It is the thing itself."

Ted Leeson, The Habit of Rivers.
Highly recommend this book btw.
Simon.
It is a great book?

An enjoyment surely, where else can you challenge nature to either be successful or a failure?

Edit::-
Shooting & hunting depends largely on a dog's ability.
Not entirely. I go picking up on driven game shoots and have done for some 38 years now. Yes, the dogs can run a lot faster and further than I can, and yes, their sense of smell is about 10,000 times better than mine, and yes, their hearing is infinitely better than mine.

None of that matters too much if I don't use my eyes which are better than theirs, and my knowledge and experience to put them in the right areas to use their abilities. I once said to someone bragging about how much "red" his dogs had in their pedigrees denoting how many field trial champions where in the bloodlines that unless he got out of his vehicle and walked with his dogs into those areas holding shot game it didn't matter a toss how much red there was.

The dogs need to be directed into the right areas in order to make best use of their abilities and that is down to the handler.

It reminds me of the inlaws gun dog, I said I know it will have a brilliant pedigree but I didn't expect it to have a double barrelled name, he said its called Kia, all we've heard is Kia Kemere (come here), we thought that was its name.
He wasn't amused :unsure:

Not entirely. I go picking up on driven game shoots and have done for some 38 years now. Yes, the dogs can run a lot faster and further than I can, and yes, their sense of smell is about 10,000 times better than mine, and yes, their hearing is infinitely better than mine.

None of that matters too much if I don't use my eyes which are better than theirs, and my knowledge and experience to put them in the right areas to use their abilities. I once said to someone bragging about how much "red" his dogs had in their pedigrees denoting how many field trial champions where in the bloodlines that unless he got out of his vehicle and walked with his dogs into those areas holding shot game it didn't matter a toss how much red there was.

The dogs need to be directed into the right areas in order to make best use of their abilities and that is down to the handler.
Surely in shooting the most important thing is being able to hit the target? If you can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, no amount of flushing, pointing and retrieving by pedigree gundogs is going to make any difference? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Notherone
61 - 80 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.