Fly Fishing Forum banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts
The Romans also introduced the brown hare into Britain, our native hare is the mountain hare.

Not a lot of people know that... or probably want to! :giggle:

Apparently they could eat beavers on a Friday too (no rude comments from the cheap seats please); owing to the fact the beaver has a scaly tail they got the Pope to agree that it could be classified as a fish!
I sooner eat some beaver than a carp on a Friday....or any other day for that matter. I might be well wide of the mark but I imagine it would be hard to tell the difference between carp and a plate full of cold mud.

I sooner eat some beaver than a carp on a Friday....or any other day for that matter. I might be well wide of the mark but I imagine it would be hard to tell the difference between carp and a plate full of cold mud.
Carp is a traditional Christmas dinner in Poland.

Maybe served with baggy minnows in blankets?

Yum! ?

The Romans also introduced the brown hare into Britain, our native hare is the mountain hare.

Not a lot of people know that... or probably want to! :giggle:

Apparently they could eat beavers on a Friday too (no rude comments from the cheap seats please); owing to the fact the beaver has a scaly tail they got the Pope to agree that it could be classified as a fish!
My favourite animal is the brown hare. The shoot I pick up on has lots. I've had them come straight up to within 10' of me and sit looking puzzled as to what that thing is in front of them. Just stand dead still and they can't see you if they are running towards you. The look on their faces when they realise, "Hell, it's a man!" is absolutely priceless.

Didn't know about the beaver thing. Perhaps that's why they became extinct in this country - the blo*dy monks ate them all. Hope they got guts ache.

It's about this time that I dig out these shots, taken in Oakham, while fishing Rutland in the 1990s...

No, us neither...

• Haha
Reactions: boorod
My favourite animal is the brown hare. The shoot I pick up on has lots. I've had them come straight up to within 10' of me and sit looking puzzled as to what that thing is in front of them. Just stand dead still and they can't see you if they are running towards you. The look on their faces when they realise, "Hell, it's a man!" is absolutely priceless.
Bob.....I think you've been watching too much Tom n Jerry...?

Discussion starter · #108 ·
Hmmm! 30 dogs to catch one fox, and as often as not they fail. And speaking of "introduced" species just what do you think rainbows are? In fact, pheasants have been here a lot longer than rainbows having been brought over, along with rabbits, by the Romans.
For his own sport, many species have been introduced by man to countries throughout the world over time.

The guys I photograph
Blimey that photo is impressive; I assume quite a bit of practice is needed to get everything lined up right? And the timing? A mix of practice and spray and pray? I guess hyperfocal focusing needed?
Sorry for all the questions but I am intrigued - to see the smoke and the load in flight is a first for me..
Well done!

Blimey that photo is impressive; I assume quite a bit of practice is needed to get everything lined up right? And the timing? A mix of practice and spray and pray? I guess hyperfocal focusing needed?
Sorry for all the questions but I am intrigued - to see the smoke and the load in flight is a first for me..
Well done!
Cheers. I did cherry-pick that one. ? However, it is very much 'spray and prey' technique. The first time I caught the lead in the air, I thought it was a fluke. However, I have now done it quite a few times, so it's not a fluke. It does depend on fortuitous lining-up of camera, gun and bird. And I'm firing at 6 frames per second, focused on either gun or bird, at the mercy of my chosen shutter speed (shooting in 'shutter priority') as to what aperture I have. A good lens for it is a 70-200 mm f2.8.

I was surprised how slow a shutter speed will catch the lead in the air - albeit a bit blurry.

1/350 @ f6.7...

1/500 @ f4.5...

1/500 @ f6.7...

1/500 @ f6.7...

1/500 @ f4.1...

1/250 @ f5.6...

In this one, it's the bits of wadding that have been captured. 1/350 @f5.6...

All sorts of stuff! 1/500 @ f6.7...

This was a set up shot, done to see what we could catch - which was just the wadding. 1/750 @ f4.5...

I think this is the only shot I have with gun-flash in it. It was raining at the time. I don't know if that had anything to do with it? 1/500 @ f4.5...

1/500 @ f3.2...

Reactions: Vintage Badger
It is pretty good actually! Hungarian fish soup is great and full of carp! Not much different to nearly all other white fishes, the muddy taste is removed by purging the fish in clean running water before being dispatched. As with everything culinary, i guess it depends on who is doing the cooking.

Great stuff! Thanks for the explanation.
I guess the muzzle flash is extremely short duration and hard to time perfectly?
Aye, that one could well be a fluke. It's not something I tend to notice when I am watching them. :unsure:

It is pretty good actually! Hungarian fish soup is great and full of carp! Not much different to nearly all other white fishes, the muddy taste is removed by purging the fish in clean running water before being dispatched. As with everything culinary, i guess it depends on who is doing the cooking.
Yeah I'm sure its fine, Ive never tried it to be honest so I shouldn't really criticise.

Yeah I'm sure its fine, Ive never tried it to be honest so I shouldn't really criticise.
I mind Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall cooking carp one time. The Poles and French like pike as well. I only ever tried to eat one once, and I gave up on it after a couple of hours of trying to pick the bones out! ?

If you don't like Carp, I think the Navy counted Penguin as fish ;)
I bet it tastes just like chicken.....;-)
One of the most boak inducing ones I can think of recently was in a documentary about the Inuits. They were catching scores of little Auks, in what looked like long handled landing nets, then stuffing them tightly into dead seal skins and leaving them to ferment in their own juices for a year or so. The next scene inside an igloo ,showing them all tucking into seal blubber and last years haul of slimey ,rotted down little auks, was a sight to behold.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.