Fly Fishing Forum banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts
Baked fresh carp actually is a nice meal
If I remember correctly, Shug F-W got the carp from a place that was farming them in ponds for the table... a bit like monks used to do. I'm sure it had some green/organic farming spin to it... :unsure:

It's not something I have ever eaten.

If I remember correctly, Shug F-W got the carp from a place that was farming them in ponds for the table... a bit like monks used to do. I'm sure it had some green/organic farming spin to it... :unsure:

It's not something I have ever eaten.
cap'n fished for them in private waters in France then eaten them, also had roach that had been cooked like whitebait

cap'n fished for them in private waters in France then eaten them, also had roach that had been cooked like whitebait
I've caught some nice wee wildies in Spain that would have been perfect for the table... if we had thought to try one...

Reactions: glueman
Discussion starter · #125 ·
Yeah I'm sure its fine, Ive never tried it to be honest so I shouldn't really criticise.
Think I watched a programme with carp being used somewhere in Japan, cleaning the dishes after a meal where they where allowed entry to the kitchen via the run of a stream.

A work friend of mine went back to his home country (somewhere central Europe) for a wedding and they had curried carp as a main dish, he said it was good.

I've had curried trout and find that pleasant, although it wasn't as nice as smoked.

In Alsace they use Carp for their version of fish and chips which is actually quite good. Minnows deep fried and sprinkled with salt make for a great munchie during an apperitif as well. Roach caught in rivers make for a great fish fry while in New England perch fillets in a beer batter are a favorite as they are in Switzerland.

In Alsace they use Carp for their version of fish and chips which is actually quite good. Minnows deep fried and sprinkled with salt make for a great munchie during an apperitif as well. Roach caught in rivers make for a great fish fry while in New England perch fillets in a beer batter are a favorite as they are in Switzerland.
I have tried perch in batter, it was superb, pike on the other hand was pretty awful, sort of fatty pulp with beard trimmings through it.

In my younger days, I'm sure fishing used to be referred to as a 'Pastime'

I don't think the word 'Sport' does angling any favours.

Douglas
Caught a bit of the old Arnie Schwarzenegger film, 'Predator' just now on one of the movie channels. Picked up on a line from it...

Arnie, to the girl (who is about to pick up a gun)...

"Don't! Leave it! He didn't kill you because you were not armed. No sport!"

Just like the Predator, we are out looking for sport. :whistle:

Caught a bit of the old Arnie Schwarzenegger film, 'Predator' just now on one of the movie channels. Picked up on a line from it...

Arnie, to the girl...

"Don't! Leave it! He didn't kill you because you were not armed. No sport!"

Just like the Predator, we are out looking for sport. :whistle:
So, is it only sport if you kill your target then? :D

(I really wanted to write "terminate the target" :giggle:)

In my younger days, I'm sure fishing used to be referred to as a 'Pastime'

I don't think the word 'Sport' does angling any favours.

Douglas
'Country Sport' has long been the traditional description and is defined as ;

• Legal shooting of birds or animals: avian pest/predator control, mammalian pest/predator control, driven grouse, walked-up and driven game, coastal wildfowling, inland duck and goose shooting, deer stalking, wild boar, wild goat.
  • Fishing activity: game angling, coarse and sea-fishing.

• Legal shooting of birds or animals: avian pest/predator control, mammalian pest/predator control, driven grouse, walked-up and driven game, coastal wildfowling, inland duck and goose shooting, deer stalking, wild boar, wild goat.
That works for me.

There are certain people that also refer to pigeon racing as being a sport but in any of my articles that I have written over the past 30 years always call it a hobby. The reason for doing that, once you start winning more than your share and taking their money off them you would soon find out just how many sportsman there are that compete in the so-called sport of pigeon racing.

For me "Country sports" as in fishing and driven game shooting means a job of work. I get paid as a fly fishing guide and instructor and that places a moral obligation on me to give of my best to ensure that the clients have a good day and get value for money. I also get paid to go picking up with my dogs and that also places a moral obligation on me to do my best to cover the ground and to do my utmost to avoid leaving wounded and dead birds on the ground.

The fact that I enjoy both is the icing on the cake. As I have said to others, I have two hobbies that I get paid to do and there aren't too many of those.

So, is it only sport if you kill your target then? :D
I guess it depends on the individual, and the target, but in a lot of cases I think not. You can get sport without having to kill something. Probably pheasant shooters would reckon it's a bad day if they miss every single bird, but they have still had a day's sport trying.

Or something like that. :unsure:

One of my most memorable days' fishing - one that stays with you forever - was on Loch Lomond a few years back. We were raising sea trout to the dap. Being sea trout and being the dap, we were having difficulty in hooking them. But it was fantastic to see them going at the dapping fly. Sometimes splashing at it. Sometimes having 2 or 3 goes at the fly. Sometimes tracking after it, dorsal out the water like a shark. They were just 'on the pop' that day! We only landed 2 fish the whole day - one around 6 lb and one around 2 lb 8 oz. And both were returned. But we had a great day of sport.

And the sea trout had a great day of sport as well. They were having fun with our dapping flies. Everyone went home happy. ? (y)

One of my most memorable days' fishing - one that stays with you forever - was on Loch Lomond a few years back. We were raising sea trout to the dap. Being sea trout and being the dap, we were having difficulty in hooking them. But it was fantastic to see them going at the dapping fly. Sometimes splashing at it. Sometimes having 2 or 3 goes at the fly. Sometimes tracking after it, dorsal out the water like a shark. They were just 'on the pop' that day! We only landed 2 fish the whole day - one around 6 lb and one around 2 lb 8 oz. And both were returned. But we had a great day of sport.

And the sea trout had a great day of sport as well. They were having fun with our dapping flies. Everyone went home happy. ? (y)
See that would drive me nuts missing all those opportunities.....I still remember the the states I used to get myself into after days on Loch Leven where I had risen 30-40 fish and hooked none or just one if I was lucky. I felt totally demoralized and incompetent . A case of one mans meat I guess, I still hate missing chances to this day.

Carp is a traditional Christmas dinner in Poland.

Maybe served with baggy minnows in blankets?

Yum! ?
Being a Pole, I feel that I have to correct this a bit Col. Eating Carp for Christmas Eve's dinner in Poland is a more recent tradition. It was really after the second World War that it became widely served for Christmas across Poland. This is most likely because it was a cheap fish to farm. It's also possible that Carp was adapted from Jewish cooking (Jews were a significant part of Polish population until Germans killed most of them during the war).

Before Carp, Poles used to eat a variety of different fish for Christmas. Zander, Sturgeon and Pike were common, depending on how wealthy the household was.

And I agree - Carp is disgusting. It's fatty and tastes of mud. My granny used to soak the fillets in milk for a few hours to try to get the taste of mud out of them. It still didn't work as far as I was concerned. The fact that no one will eat Carp in Poland at any other day of the year just proves my point.

Cheers,
Sebastian

121 - 140 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.