Squirrel Nymph

philm

I've not posted a fly on here for some time. A friend dropped off some frozen squirrels a few weeks ago (he's a game keeper) and I finally got around to the shaving, dying and tying this weekend.

Phil

Hook: kamasan b175 12
Thread: red
Tail: hen pheasant, dyed
Rib: 4lb mono dyed red
Body and thorax: grey squirrel, dyed
Thorax cover and legs: hen pheasant, dyed​

philm

A wee cracker Phil, I must try dying some nylon for ribs this winter...👍
Thanks Jimmy. I use nylon a lot for ribs either clear or dyed. I started out using it on dry flies as a lightweight alternative to wire but I like the translucent effect it gives on nymphs as well, especially in red. It dyes really easily and every time I have the dye pot out I'll chuck in 10 yards of 4lb Maxima (more dependable than flouro' 🤣🤣😜).

Phil

Wee Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. I use nylon a lot for ribs either clear or dyed. I started out using it on dry flies as a lightweight alternative to wire but I like the translucent effect it gives on nymphs as well, especially in red. It dyes really easily and every time I have the dye pot out I'll chuck in 10 yards of 4lb Maxima (more dependable than flouro' 🤣🤣😜).

Phil
I used to have a wee fly that was usefull on Loch Leven Phil.It was basically just a yellow tailed greenwells spider but the body was primrose thread ,ribbed with clear nylon.I think it might have been a take on one of Stuart Billams patterns..? Anyhoo the fly had a lovely translucent look about it.I think nylon ribs are very under used, there’s a bit of potential there for sure...👍

G

GEK79

I've not posted a fly on here for some time. A friend dropped off some frozen squirrels a few weeks ago (he's a game keeper) and I finally got around to the shaving, dying and tying this weekend.

Phil

Hook: kamasan b175 12
Thread: red
Tail: hen pheasant, dyed
Rib: 4lb mono dyed red
Body and thorax: grey squirrel, dyed
Thorax cover and legs: hen pheasant, dyed​
Looks amazing..