Squirrels - do people really do this to them?

Rob Edmunds

Yeah mine was stewed as well.......I wanted to try it as its quite normal to eat them in the USA( isn't it ?).....so I just followed their recipe . also tried it on the BBQ but it was tough.....that may have been my cooking though..

The one thing I've always wanted to try was dog.....simply because most meat that we eat has a vegetarian based diet....tried to find it in Cambodia last year but apparently they only eat it in the hardest of times!

So I was thinking of trying fox as an as alternative......it would have been shot anyway so where's the harm??

My favourite strange thing is deep fried mealworms....there just like wotsits or quavers.....especially if you don't look at them while eating

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

Squirrel in stew or fricasse is pretty good and resembles hare but it is a tough meat that has to be carefully cooked. Raccoon, opossum and bear are tough, greasy and extremely gamey, you eat it once but rarely twice. Rattle snake and alligator are a lot like chicken although alligator can have a strange after taste.

Take care

Terry

ant77

Apparently there are 15 genera of flying squirrels, some having ability to glide for 90 metres. Looks like they evolved about the same time as tree squirrels and are considered to be a sister animal. I'd say the way that little fella handled the flight he's been looking forward to doing that for a long time.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Re: Re: Squirrels - do people really do this to them?

Some on should do a thread whats the weirdest thing you have eaten.i wonder if someone has eaten fox or dog. I have eaten crow when I was a boy my grandad shot them to eat.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

you beat me to it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: nearly as good as Guinea pig and not quite as good as a hedgehog :thumbs::thumbs:

Was the "crow" in fact rook as in young squabs shot from the nest skinned and the breast meat taken out ,a favourite of mine it is braised with some red wine a few challots and mushrooms sometimes far nicer than braising steak :thumbup::thumbup::D:D

grab it by the balls and " LETS TACKLE CANCER "

Paul_B

Some on should do a thread whats the weirdest thing you have eaten.i wonder if someone has eaten fox or dog. I have eaten crow when I was a boy my grandad shot them to eat.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

A combination of cow pig & horse meat mixed and made into burgers seems to have been very popular according to the news :thumbs:

Rob Edmunds

Was the "crow" in fact rook as in young squabs shot from the nest skinned and the breast meat taken out ,a favourite of mine it is braised with some red wine a few challots and mushrooms sometimes far nicer than braising steak

My nan made me something similar years ago after we,d been rook in.. but I'm pretty sure she soaked the breasts in milk overnight.....not sure if it made much difference though...:)

mikelight

I've eaten Jellyfish, snake and terrapin in China.

Snake was very nice, similar to chicken. Jellyfish was foul, like vinegar and jelly and the terrapin was scales, claws and gristle with hardly any meat.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Was the "crow" in fact rook as in young squabs shot from the nest skinned and the breast meat taken out ,a favourite of mine it is braised with some red wine a few challots and mushrooms sometimes far nicer than braising steak

My nan made me something similar years ago after we,d been rook in.. but I'm pretty sure she soaked the breasts in milk overnight.....not sure if it made much difference though...:)

Rob ,could of been to lighten the colour of the meat up and tell you it was chicken ;):thumbs::D:D

rich6x

Or Mother:eek::D:D:D

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

dont know which film your watching but here you cant see it land never mind run off :eek::thumbs:

Are you Lochbois in disguise.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

fishertom

you beat me to it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: nearly as good as Guinea pig and not quite as good as a hedgehog :thumbs::thumbs:

Was the "crow" in fact rook as in young squabs shot from the nest skinned and the breast meat taken out ,a favourite of mine it is braised with some red wine a few challots and mushrooms sometimes far nicer than braising steak :thumbup::thumbup::D:D

grab it by the balls and " LETS TACKLE CANCER "

Identifying crows/ rooks. If you see a rook on it's own, it's a crow!
A lot of crows together are rooks! :D:D:D

Mark Morton

Squirrel in stew or fricasse is pretty good and resembles hare but it is a tough meat that has to be carefully cooked. Raccoon, opossum and bear are tough, greasy and extremely gamey, you eat it once but rarely twice. Rattle snake and alligator are a lot like chicken although alligator can have a strange after taste.

Take care

Terry

I took the backstraps out of the three year old black bear I shot in Newfoundland and cut them into steaks. The Newfies thought I was mad. Chattered on about some nasty worm inside the meat. Anyway, borrowed the skillet and stove and those steaks tasted just like best beef. Obviously I didn't cook them rare. I made sure they were cooked right through, but they were still tender and juicy. Comes down to how the meat is handled and cooked I think. Armadillo is pretty good as well, a little like wild pork.

4wings

Yeah mine was stewed as well.......I wanted to try it as its quite normal to eat them in the USA( isn't it ?).....so I just followed their recipe . also tried it on the BBQ but it was tough.....that may have been my cooking though..

The one thing I've always wanted to try was dog.....simply because most meat that we eat has a vegetarian based diet....tried to find it in Cambodia last year but apparently they only eat it in the hardest of times!

So I was thinking of trying fox as an as alternative......it would have been shot anyway so where's the harm??

My favourite strange thing is deep fried mealworms....there just like wotsits or quavers.....especially if you don't look at them while eating

Fried with streaky bacon

Latest posts