Squirrels - do people really do this to them?

4wings

Back in the old days, meat was pretty scarce on the working mans menu. Work was mainly farm work, so there were Rabbits, Pigeons and Squirrels all were fair game, Rook young, known as branchers, as well.
The Squirrels and Rooks were taken in season the young Rooks unable to fly were knocked out of the trees with stones and lead weighted sticks for Rook Pie. Squirrels were knocked out of trees and their winter dreys with poles stones and the weighted sticks.
I cannot remember the source (Jack Hargreaves?) but it was recorded that 600 red squirrels a day were brought into the Smithsfields Meat Market.

glueman

Back in the old days, meat was pretty scarce on the working mans menu. Work was mainly farm work, so there were Rabbits, Pigeons and Squirrels all were fair game, Rook young, known as branchers, as well.
The Squirrels and Rooks were taken in season the young Rooks unable to fly were knocked out of the trees with stones and lead weighted sticks for Rook Pie. Squirrels were knocked out of trees and their winter dreys with poles stones and the weighted sticks.
I cannot remember the source (Jack Hargreaves?) but it was recorded that 600 red squirrels a day were brought into the Smithsfields Meat Market.
If a man could afford it he had a took rifle

ejw

Squirrel fricassee, is my recipe. I like to give the birds a chance !!! Neighbours text me when any are in the area. Red are nice Greys need removing !!

glueman

Squirrel fricassee, is my recipe. I like to give the birds a chance !!! Neighbours text me when any are in the area. Red are nice Greys need removing !!
Red squirrel is a real squirrel a grey is a rat up a tree. My son in Cumbria tells me the Grey's are spreading up there and he sees less and less Grey's.