St Croix Legend Ultra

GEK79

Having had a chat with the bank manager A. K A. The wife I said that I may buy a rod for myself once I'm back to work for a few weeks.
I've seen the above rod in mint condition and wondered has anyone had one or own one..
I've heard the St Croix name on the forum and wondered has anyone experience with the above rod please..
Thanks as always.
Gary.

jaybeegee

Having had a chat with the bank manager A. K A. The wife I said that I may buy a rod for myself once I'm back to work for a few weeks.
I've seen the above rod in mint condition and wondered has anyone had one or own one..
I've heard the St Croix name on the forum and wondered has anyone experience with the above rod please..
Thanks as always.
Gary.
What length and rating Gary?
B

tenet

I have a 9ft Wt 6 legend elite and like it a lot. Use it with a barrio #6 slx and it flies. Fairly fast action.

GEK79

I have a 9ft Wt 6 legend elite and like it a lot. Use it with a barrio #6 slx and it flies. Fairly fast action.
Thanks lad.. Will keep my eye on it.. And see how much I get paid.. 😜😜👍

smallmouth

I've been using a Legend Ultra 7ft 9ins #3 for over twenty years on the river, for me it's the best river dry fly rod I've ever owned. Not as fast as the Elite I believe?

If the 9ft #5 was very similar it would suit me for the reservoir. But being a different length and weight, it might be a different kettle of fish.

However, using the same river rod for that length of time, means I've no idea how my St Croix might compare with something being marketed now.

GEK79

I've been using a Legend Ultra 7ft 9ins #3 for over twenty years on the river, for me it's the best river dry fly rod I've ever owned. Not as fast as the Elite I believe?

If the 9ft #5 was very similar it would suit me for the reservoir. But being a different length and weight, it might be a different kettle of fish.

However, using the same river rod for that length of time, means I've no idea how my St Croix might compare with something being marketed now.
I believe it to be old stock rod that hasn't been used. Everything indicates that its a great rod just can't find any youtube videos.. Thanks a million..

smallmouth

just can't find any youtube videos

Because it's an old model of St Croix rod, launched pre YouTube.

That's what I mean when I say compare. For all I know, a modern mid price Greys, Vision, Wychwood or whatever, in the equivalent length/weight, might feel much better than my two decade old St Croix.

So might a modern St Croix for that matter. However, the current St Croix range is much smaller. Some of the range are made in the US, some elsewhere, I think Mexico?

Last edited:

GEK79

Because it's an old model of St Croix rod, launched pre YouTube.

That's what I mean when I say compare. For all I know, a modern mid price Greys, Vision, Wychwood or whatever, in the equivalent length/weight, might feel much better than my two decade old St Croix.

So might a modern St Croix for that matter. However, the current St Croix range is much smaller,. Some of the range are made in the US, some elsewhere, I think Mexico?
Thanks lad.. I've discovered a video from 7 years ago of a lady casting a line through the atmosphere from. A boat... Doesn't really help.. I will see what happens.. But thanks as always..

pati

Hi Gary,

St Croix Legend series were good rods but be careful I think St Croix stopped making fly rods a couple of years ago (they keep making casting rods though) so don’t expect much from any warranty...

Cheers

GEK79

Hi Gary,

St Croix Legend series were good rods but be careful I think St Croix stopped making fly rods a couple of years ago (they keep making casting rods though) so don’t expect much from any warranty...

Cheers
The rod is an older rod.. Was just curious as had heard then mentioned here a few times..
Thanks Pati..

Damo

Hi,
I had the 9ft 5 weight Legend Ultra for a few years. At the time St Croix were still big players in fly fishing and the rod had good reviews. As stated, since then St Croix have more or less dropped out of the fly fishing market to concentrate on spinning rods. I imagine that spares might be a problem if you broke it.
The rod itself was really well finished. I sold it on here for about 120 Pounds and I remember that somebody commented on the excellent cork quality. It was fairly light ( but didn't swing as light as some modern rods) and fairly fast. It was a bit too much rod for the rivers I fish but would probably be good for windy Irish loughs....
I don't know how much the rod you're looking at costs but in all honesty I would probably go for a more modern rod with good after sales service.
If you do a search on our American sister forum I'm sure you'll find some reviews on there...
Cheers,
Damian F

GEK79

Hi,
I had the 9ft 5 weight Legend Ultra for a few years. At the time St Croix were still big players in fly fishing and the rod had good reviews. As stated, since then St Croix have more or less dropped out of the fly fishing market to concentrate on spinning rods. I imagine that spares might be a problem if you broke it.
The rod itself was really well finished. I sold it on here for about 120 Pounds and I remember that somebody commented on the excellent cork quality. It was fairly light ( but didn't swing as light as some modern rods) and fairly fast. It was a bit too much rod for the rivers I fish but would probably be good for windy Irish loughs....
I don't know how much the rod you're looking at costs but in all honesty I would probably go for a more modern rod with good after sales service.
If you do a search on our American sister forum I'm sure you'll find some reviews on there...
Cheers,
Damian F
Nice one 300 euro 257 pound which is clearly too expensive.. I'll see what my wages are like and take it from there.. Kind thanks..
Gary

patk

i had one of these rods some years ago. An ok rod and def not one of St Croix best or priciest. If youre thinking of spending that kind of money i reckon you would find far better rods and value both new and used.

GEK79

i had one of these rods some years ago. An ok rod and def not one of St Croix best or priciest. If youre thinking of spending that kind of money i reckon you would find far better rods and value both new and used.
Thanks Pat.. I will see what happens..

JCP

You had a post from a friend of mine ''tenet'' who spends as much time fishing as he can.I remember him buying the rod.Would not still be there unless up to scratch.I have another friend locally who bought a st Croix years ago and to the best of my knowledge still fishing with it.If warranty is an issue don't buy it but suffice to say I have a few much loved non warranty rods which I would not part with.If the price is right maybe worth the risk and the pleasure for real quality given most used rods which change hands have no transferrable warranty.The old Chestnut regarding quality tackle does not wash with me.There is a marked difference....Now and again a mid priced gem comes along but lightning in a bottle does not normally come at a budget price when new.

GEK79

You had a post from a friend of mine ''tenet'' who spends as much time fishing as he can.I remember him buying the rod.Would not still be there unless up to scratch.I have another friend locally who bought a st Croix years ago and to the best of my knowledge still fishing with it.If warranty is an issue don't buy it but suffice to say I have a few much loved non warranty rods which I would not part with.If the price is right maybe worth the risk and the pleasure for real quality given most used rods which change hands have no transferrable warranty.The old Chestnut regarding quality tackle does not wash with me.There is a marked difference....Now and again a mid priced gem comes along but lightning in a bottle does not normally come at a budget price when new.
I've chatted with the guy and he's willing to lower the price so I will wait for payday when back to work and see whats what.. Thanks a million..