Starting again with fly tying.

Oldbones

Well after a very hard year which in the end turned out to be better than I could have hoped for, finally settled down a bit and have a feeling that its all going to be good now.
Its a long story, but the point is I am once again stable enough to put my heart in to creating flies.
Which by the way is a very satisfying pass time for me.
I have done a lot of fishing and at the start of the season it was some brilliant trout, then after a move it was sea fishing and lure caught mackerel and some other species.
But no mater where I go the vise and materials are very carefully packed and looked after, only I deal with these items, its just how it is.
I have been doing other things to get through my days, fly tying is really what I love doing. I have also discovered E bay, its addictive.
Hope to post some better flies on here in the near future.
1 starting again.jpg

wobbly face

I have a box with loads of nc spiders but my go to have very few. Just the way my fishing has gone. I even created my own spider which has worked well for me (can't get the hackles any more though, only ones that are too large left on the cape :(). In fact, I've got 4 different capes with nothing but large hackles now and I just can't get replacements.

wobbly face

Hi Wobbly Face.
Have you seen this video on using over sized hackles? It might solve your dilemma...... 🤔👍
Thanks for that m. I have seen the method before and find it can create a bit of bulk in the body and thorax (especially when using thread only for bodies). I do use split thread though it does tend to get hackle fibres sticking out in a forward direction and you've got the stubs of the fibres to contend with.

The Endrick Spider

Well after a very hard year which in the end turned out to be better than I could have hoped for, finally settled down a bit and have a feeling that its all going to be good now.
Its a long story, but the point is I am once again stable enough to put my heart in to creating flies.
I have done a lot of fishing and at the start of the season it was some brilliant trout, then after a move it was sea fishing and lure caught mackerel and some other species.
But no mater where I go the vise and materials are very carefully packed and looked after, only I deal with these items, its just how it is.
I have been doing other things to get through my days, fly tying is really what I love doing. I have also discovered E bay, its addictive.
View attachment 44311
Nice to see that you are going back to fly tying. These horrible dull wet days during the winter months and the rubbish programs on the TV, these are sent to us so you can retire to the fly tying bench. I have had a fantastic season on my own club loch which is only 4 field lengths from my front door. I have only lost 4 flies all season, have had a few pulled to bits and given about 50 flies away to club members. Having been tying since 1958, over the years I have gathered loads of material and thousands of flies but keep on tying for I still get great pleasure from doing so. Unfortunately old age is creeping in where having arthritis in my hands and wrists I can no longer tie flies anywhere near as good as I could in the past but they still catch fish which is all that matters. From time to time there are a few of the modern-day flies that I will buy in which go into my sample box and kept for reference. I do not have any idea as to why I do this for I end up returning to my old patterns. I dare say this could only be described as a 'must have' case.
I wish I could keep my materials as tidy as what yours are. My boxes of materials look much the same as my many fly boxes, just a jumble but at least I know where everything is. The trouble is, once I have finished tying I don't have time to put things away nice and tidy for I am immediately taking up with another of my many interests.

Oldbones

Nice to see that you are going back to fly tying. These horrible dull wet days during the winter months and the rubbish programs on the TV, these are sent to us so you can retire to the fly tying bench. I have had a fantastic season on my own club loch which is only 4 field lengths from my front door. I have only lost 4 flies all season, have had a few pulled to bits and given about 50 flies away to club members. Having been tying since 1958, over the years I have gathered loads of material and thousands of flies but keep on tying for I still get great pleasure from doing so. Unfortunately old age is creeping in where having arthritis in my hands and wrists I can no longer tie flies anywhere near as good as I could in the past but they still catch fish which is all that matters. From time to time there are a few of the modern-day flies that I will buy in which go into my sample box and kept for reference. I do not have any idea as to why I do this for I end up returning to my old patterns. I dare say this could only be described as a 'must have' case.
I wish I could keep my materials as tidy as what yours are. My boxes of materials look much the same as my many fly boxes, just a jumble but at least I know where everything is. The trouble is, once I have finished tying I don't have time to put things away nice and tidy for I am immediately taking up with another of my many interests.
Thank you, I hope to tie some nicer ones this time. The cold and wet are the days that I will be tying flies, I don't watch a lot of TV, its a lot of doom and gloom or reality that is not reality.
I have plenty of materials and still get some from time to time.
I am not too keen on modern day flies, but I do admire how nice they look when well tied by the person who tied it.
Tidy, well we have a cat and a dog, so that is an incentive to keep it tidy, plus there is not a lot of room, its quite compact the area that I have to do tying.
For reference I have books, far to many books, and I watch you tube, so anything I want I can get, reproducing them is the tricky bit as we all well know.
Many interest's, yes as I get older instead of slowing down my hobbies are growing, fly fishing, loch fishing, sea fishing, veg garden, might get a motorbike, (had many over the years) and of course fly tying, I have made some lures in the past, might try that again as well.
I have hundreds of flies and hundreds of lures, I dare not think about how much it has all cost over time.
But I am richer by far because I did venture into my interests, met some wonderful people and been many nice places and had some brilliant experiences.

GEK79

View attachment 44311
Good to have you back lad.. Looking forward to some more of your work..

anzac

This is where I confess.

I'm the bloke with no intention of ever getting involved with fly tying. That is until two blokes I know decided to spend two hours teaching me to tie a couple of flies. They are going to give me another lesson Wednesday week.

I have a Scottie vice on the way. And so it begins.

wobbly face

Mayfly anyone
Strangely, I only watched that yesterday. :)
This is where I confess.

I'm the bloke with no intention of ever getting involved with fly tying. That is until two blokes I know decided to spend two hours teaching me to tie a couple of flies. They are going to give me another lesson Wednesday week.

I have a Scottie vice on the way. And so it begins.
A slippery road, it'll cost you in both time and money. I have no commercially tied flies. I have no flies tied by anyone else in any of my fly boxes. I have been given flies by others, I have used them on the day (gave them back at day's end). They get put in packets and given to good homes for others to use. However, I will copy them (if I have the materials or just substitute materials for what I have).

anzac

Strangely, I only watched that yesterday. :)

A slippery road, it'll cost you in both time and money. I have no commercially tied flies. I have no flies tied by anyone else in any of my fly boxes. I have been given flies by others, I have used them on the day (gave them back at day's end). They get put in packets and given to good homes for others to use. However, I will copy them (if I have the materials or just substitute materials for what I have).
Mate, what's even worse is I've begun thinking about tying some of the flies listed in The History of Fly Fishing in Fifty Flies (ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1617691461) because I've been wondering how an 18th or 19th Century pattern would do with today's kit and conditions.

taffy1

Mate, what's even worse is I've begun thinking about tying some of the flies listed in The History of Fly Fishing in Fifty Flies (ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1617691461) because I've been wondering how an 18th or 19th Century pattern would do with today's kit and conditions.
Materials & patterns have evolved equally with today's "kit". The fish however, still have their basic tendancies to eat, reproduce & survive. Fishing for them is exactly the same as when the Macedonians were catching them. Go for it & give them a swim. (y)

anzac

Materials & patterns have evolved equally with today's "kit". The fish however, still have their basic tendancies to eat, reproduce & survive. Fishing for them is exactly the same as when the Macedonians were catching them. Go for it & give them a swim. (y)
I will. It was the do flies have a use by date that got me thinking about this, and when these two gents offered to show me 'how to', I thought, 'why not?'

Doomed as doomed can be. If the wife was still alive she would have talked some sense in to me. ;)😉

The Endrick Spider

I have the fifty flies book, my avatar is one of those flies.
Many, many years ago now the T & S brought out a booklet which I think was called, The Best Thirty Flies For All Seasons Ever Invented. Some of these old flies that were in it go back many years. The modern day materials that have been introduced into producing some of these old patterns you would not recognise them as being the same fly, only the name is the same. I am very proud to say that the Endrick Spider is one of the 30 flies but sad to say they have even got that wrong. The fly looks exactly the same on the outside but it is all wrong on the inside. Never at any time did I ever use, (or even advise) using lead wire as an underbody. It was John Roberts that first got it wrong in the first edition of his book The Dictionary of Trout Flies. He sent me a free copy where I had to pull him up for his mistake. He apologized for this where on my next trip to Scarborough he met me at York station, ( he lived in York) where he took me out to dinner. That was a memorable afternoon where there were many fish caught during and after that meal. The more drinks we had the bigger the fish that were being caught.

Wee Jimmy

I wouldn't like to have to rely on buying shop bought flies, that's not to say there are not some excellent quality flies in the shops nowadays. I think tying your own flies is all part of the bigger picture, it allows you to tweak things to your own preferences or for a specific job. For many years I tied flies simply as a means to an end but these days I do actually really enjoy fly tying.

Last edited:

PaulD

I love fly tying, it's a source of great enjoyment for me, particularly since I've been properly retired and since dealing with the confines and restrictions of Covid when fishing has been less accessible. My wife leaves for work around 7.30am, my son is picked up by his school bus at 8.15am and most days I'll take myself upstairs to my little 'Man Cave' and tie a few flies or engross myself in my collection of ancient and modern fly tying books. . . in fact, that's what I'm going to do now!