Starting the cast

fishing hobo

There was a very long thread a few years ago about this... James (caster extraordinaire and brain-the-size-of-a-planet) proved pretty conclusively that the rod is NOT loaded due to water friction in a roll-cast. I seem to remember that there were some nice videos of him tying the end of the line to his trainers and roll-casting on a slippery tiled floor.
What water friction (stiction?) does do for you is allow a dynamic D-Loop to be formed.
Oh no, not this again.... 😱. The only thing the water does is prevent slippage of the fly line backwards. What "loads" or better still bends the rod is the amount of line in the D-loop is the conclusion and there was a heated argument when I asked a simple question of rollcasting upstream some years ago...

fishing hobo

Put simply, the potential distance for a jump roll is no different from an overhead cast, you lift the same weight of line and shoot the same, they are effectively the same thing with a different 'back cast'.

You needed to be more specific Alan, a standard roll cast won't beat the overhead cast. You only mentioned jump roll later but for most of us roll cast is NOT the jump roll/switch/fwd Spey. One of my friends can bang out a full line with the jump roll so you are right in saying jump roll can cast just as far if not further than overhead depending on circumstance ie obstruction behind you preventing the overhead cast.

speytime

The slippage is caused by over power, you can take the fly off and with just the nylon landing you can cast, if it's done smoothly it doesn't slip.

Al

ohanzee

You needed to be more specific Alan, a standard roll cast won't beat the overhead cast. You only mentioned jump roll later but for most of us roll cast is NOT the jump roll/switch/fwd Spey. One of my friends can bang out a full line with the jump roll so you are right in saying jump roll can cast just as far if not further than overhead depending on circumstance ie obstruction behind you preventing the overhead cast.

Yes that was maybe a bit vague, I try to make things as basic as possible but with casting that can just make it too vague to be of use, often something sounds right then when you come back to it, its not quite right.

taffy1

I assume it's with a floating line? (pardon me for my ignorance for not reading this thread from the start), A sunk line will be drawn back until the rest of the submerged line can either be aerialised into an overhead cast or simply "rolled" out onto the surface to commence an overhead cast, as long as an overhead cast can be undertaken.

G

GEK79

I assume it's with a floating line? (pardon me for my ignorance for not reading this thread from the start), A sunk line will be drawn back until the rest of the submerged line can either be aerialised into an overhead cast or simply "rolled" out onto the surface to commence an overhead cast, as long as an overhead cast can be undertaken.
It will be a floating line tho I know also have a slow inter for start of season.. Most of the loughs I will be fishing have areas for overhead casting but as all situations some don't.

andygrey

Something I do quite regularly is to feed line outside the rod tip during the sweep, trap the line when you circle-up and into a roll cast at the start of an overhead casting sequence.
Basically your'e using the water friction to anchor the line during the sweep so you can get more line outside the rod tip and form a larger D-Loop, roll cast then into an overhead.
If you keep some tension on the line during the sweep then I suppose this becomes something more akin to a jump roll as the D-Loop is dynamic.