Starting trotting for Grayling

tobesfish

I've found a float rod in the garage, 13ft 2-20g match rod that is old but still in case (15 years old?)

Can i team this with a centrepin to try some trotting for Grayling as a winter activity? We have good Grayling around but only really by-catch after trout for some reason but the water looks good!

What kind of reel/ line/ float combo would people recommend with this rod?

Thanks

jameswaine

I use drennan float fish, 5lb.

Not sure about the rod but sounds like it'll do. :thumbs: I use Avon style floats - I decide which size suits, when I see the water. Same for the shot really, I do a lot of my fishing by trial and error...

I have a centrepin but I actually like using a fixed spool reel a lot of the time.

JohnH

Suggest the first thing you should do is get on to Amazon and invest in a second hand copy of "John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual" - the long trotting chapter is definitive.... Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual

A centrepin is a lovely thing to own and use, but please don't feel it is mandatory, Wilson recommends that a quality fixed spool or closed face reel is a better bet than a cheap, poor quality 'pin. That said, the budget end of the 'pin market is healthier than it was when he wrote the book; offerings from Marco Cortesi, Dragon Carp and Waterline are more than fit for purpose. I've caught carp to 15lb using my own Waterline Ikonix 'pin teamed with an Avon rod, and great fun it is.

I'd suggest a robust standard mono main line between 3.2lb and 4lb, I agree with jameswaine that Drennan Floatfish is good; 3lb to 3.5lb hooklengths; size 12, 14 and 16 barbless hooks; wire stem Avon and Loafer floats in sizes from 5BB to 4 SSG, and away you go. Depending on your target river, 1 and a half to 2 pints of maggots and a tub of small worms will be all the bait you need.

yeoman

Just to add, you want mono that floats.Bayer perlon does this well with no treatment. It's also pretty tough.

Latest posts