Steve Cullen’s Nemesis

len1

A simple wee fly which caught me five out of nine rainbows at Stenhouse Fishery yesterday.
0F0282AB-7D7F-49C8-BB55-70220614A109.jpeg

len1

An olive version would be a 'Classic FM' (y)

Steve Cullen has an olive version he calls Damesis! Neither versions are weighted although it would be easy enough to add a thin lead wire underbody.
I fished mine on a Di3. Counted down 15 secs. and bam. Takes could be ferocious as the magazine articles always say.

len1

I believe the Nemesis was one of Jim McBrides ideas was it not Len..? it’s certainly a pattern that has been on the go a while now.
I know little of the history of flies. I just spotted this one on Steve Cullen’s You Tube channel and thought that looks a winner. Nothing new about it as you say but very successful on a bitter cold day when there was only me and one other out on the loch. They made a change from pulling snakes!

vital

Steve Cullen was editor of Total Flyfisher, it went downhill after he moved on, eventually folding. The Nemesis is a great 'change' pattern when your usual stillwater flies are not interesting anything.

Wee Jimmy

I know little of the history of flies. I just spotted this one on Steve Cullen’s You Tube channel and thought that looks a winner. Nothing new about it as you say but very successful on a bitter cold day when there was only me and one other out on the loch. They made a change from pulling snakes!
I had always connected the pattern with Jim McBride that was all.....no offence intended.

Last edited:

roadrunner1000

An olive version would be a 'Classic FM' (y)

Just remembered..........Trout Fisherman magazine ran a competition back in the mid 90's to 'design' a fly that would be sold by Fulling Mill . The Classic FM was the winner (FM as in the company name , not the radio frequency). I've caught lots of fish on it over the years.

Gdog

It looks like a good winter / stockie basher type lure. I might tie a few up as a smaller black / green lure for a few trips this winter, when the storm is over. 👍

Latest posts