Stocky lake in the west of Ireland

JJ O Malley

Hey folks,
Looking for a stocky lake in the west of Ireland, or at least within an hour or so from Galway. I'm considering Ballinlough in Westport but have no news on how it's fishing etc. Anyone got any recommendations? I've heard of a place siren towards limerick but don't know the name. Also I've fished lough lene near mulling are in the past but not sure how late it's open.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Regards
JJ

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

inishmackjames

Bleach Lough on the Mungret Road outside Limerick is a worthwhile venue. I fish it once or twice a year and find it can be very good, it's very well managed and stocked. It holds some good fish, I'm not sure of the opening times.

JJ O Malley

Thanks. Just heard that Lough Lene is closed. Would you rather Bleach over Ballinlough? It's a few years since I went after stockies.

inishmackjames

Hi JJ,
I don't normally fish much for stocked rainbow maybe 4 0r 5 times a year, 2 or 3 times a year in Carrigavantry, Waterford and 1 or 2 times a year in Bleach lough - Corrib is my normal venue, I don't know Ballinlough. Bleach Lough is very good, well managed and has good 19' lake boats - electric engine only and as I mentioned before holds a good stock of trout incl. some very good fish. Have a look at their website, it'll give you the info. you need.

JJ O Malley

Thanks for that. Bleach lough is out so as we don't have electric engines and I'm not interested in pulling oars! Looking like ballinlough unless someone hadls any other ideas. Ballinlough was great 6 or 8 years ago. Not been there in a few years now. I've often wondered if Mrs Gill is still alive and kicking. She was a lovely lady.

Cheers JJ

rockslider

I went to ballinlough a number of years ago too. Had a great day using a washing line tactic. Is it open in winter? I would just head there if it is.
Had a nice couple of rainbows last week on a co.cork Loch.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Sorry JJ, just realised you like are talking about ballinlough in Co. Mayo! I fished a small rainbow lough near ballinlough Co. Roscommon/east Galway area. It might be called something else, I will try and look it up.

rockslider

Checked up the lake I fished. It is lough Acalla. It is open until the end of October. It is eight miles west of ballinasloe