Storing rods in the attic

springwell

We've just downsized and I'm stuck for space.

Anyone store their rods in the attic.

Just wondering if the big temperature differences have an effect on rods.

Mrtrout

We've just downsized and I'm stuck for space.

Anyone store their rods in the attic.

Just wondering if the big temperature differences have an effect on rods.
If carbon I wouldn’t think so, cane might be different, I’d get some polystyrene and build a box of sorts to keep them in.
Dampness is what you need to avoid.
S.

morayfisher

Trust Member
I completely insulated our large loft with Kingspan foil covered foam boards fixed to the rafters and walls in a previous property.
It made a big difference to temperature fluctuations up there (and there was no damp anyway).
ACAD2AA0-1533-4F2F-B403-9088873AAC15.jpeg

original cormorant

I'd be careful about fly lines, as a minimum keeping them in sealed bags and if possible not storing them anywhere that could be hot.

wobbly face

Not a problem. Been in this house 29 years, all tackle stored in the loft without any roof insulation. I have a rod that's 35 years old and still excellent to go, had no issues with fly line either or other fishing tackle, waders and waterproofs.
I had to give up my wine making though, :eek: you need a stable, cool temperature which I cannot get in this house.

benisa

Not a problem. Been in this house 29 years, all tackle stored in the loft without any roof insulation. I have a rod that's 35 years old and still excellent to go, had no issues with fly line either or other fishing tackle, waders and waterproofs.
I had to give up my wine making though, :eek: you need a stable, cool temperature which I cannot get in this house.
Like wise keep all my gear up there away from the wife " saying is that another rod " your got

clag

I don’t store rods in the attic but I did store empty Sage rod tubes in my garage roof. Empty because I carry the rods in multi tubes for day to day use. Almost to a tube the rubber seal on the lid corroded. Sage couldn’t explain it but sent me a job lot of replacement seals for free. Since then I’ve kept the tubes in my roof attic and no issues.

Regards
CLaG

PaulD

I've stored a fair number of rods in attics in our present house for a number of years. Absolutely no problems with corks, blanks, bags, tubes or anything. If your rods are dry before you store them there's nothing going to happen in the attic that could be worse than using the rod outdoors!

jaybeegee

Conditions in roof spaces vary considerably, depending on structure and insulation. In the U.K. typical pitched roofed houses are either “warm” or “cold”; a warm roof is insulated between the rafters just beneath the covering and a cold roof is insulated usually between and over the ceiling and joists. Ventilation in both types is essential to prevent damp resulting from condensing moisture, which in turn can cause fungal disease in the structural timbers and poorly installed insulation can inhibit air movement and is potentially a major problem. Be careful before you store stuff up there.

B

Mies

Like some others, I've always stored all my gear in the attic during the closed season and some of the lesser used stuff all year round. Have done for donkey's years and never had any issues.
If I couldn't use the attic I would have to build on another room to store all the crap I've amassed over the years.

ejw

Kept some rods in a large cupboard with the central heating boiler in the loft. No problems with the rods at all 2 carbon, 2 fibreglass and a 1930's Hardy split cane with twin tops in its original bag, stored there for 20 years. It was used again last year with no problems.