Storing your catches

mic8310

Hi

Scenario would be paying for a 2 fish ticket, when caught can c&r for the day. Where do you store your 2 fish? Cool box? Clubhouse? In a potentially hot car for the rest of the day?

Cheers

taterdu

Hi

Scenario would be paying for a 2 fish ticket, when caught can c&r for the day. Where do you store your 2 fish? Cool box? Clubhouse? In a potentially hot car for the rest of the day?

Cheers

In this weather, a proper fish bass, wet, that will keep the fish cool by evaporation throughout the day. I tend to keep a cool bag in the car with freezer blocks if I need to transport them any distance at the end of the day.

volksfish

Never found the weather a problem, are the parasites a problem to human consumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3lbgrayling

I'm no expert.:eek: but I believe they are (i'm sure cooking fully will make them edible):eek:mg:But I really don't like the thought of it.
I have seen fish at the scales that have been hung in the water at the side of the boat in summer that have basically become cooked/putrified in the hot water

Jim

lee71

I peg my mesh bass bag in the water close to where I'm fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbs: me too.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

This can be a problem in hot weather,and if there for quite a while can be invaded by parasites.

Jim

Suppose it could if water was warm, but it's never that warm at the ressie I fish and I only usually stay a few hours and move about frequently. :thumbs:

tobesfish

Bass bags are designed to be made wet, and then kept out of the water so the evaporation keeps them cool by taking the heat up to evaporate the water. Leaving a bag in the water means no evaporation and therefore no cooling. in the shallow water in warmer weather you'd be exposing the flesh to optimum bacteria growing conditions!

Wet the bag and then put it in the shade and keep wetting it periodically, or put the fish in a cool bag with freezer blocks.

Bass bags are designed to be made wet, and then kept out of the water so the evaporation keeps them cool by taking the heat up to evaporate the water. Leaving a bag in the water means no evaporation and therefore no cooling. in the shallow water in warmer weather you'd be exposing the flesh to optimum bacteria growing conditions!

Wet the bag and then put it in the shade and keep wetting it periodically, or put the fish in a cool bag with freezer blocks.
Correct! Mesh bass bags are also excellent for cooling beer using exactly the same method. :thumbs:

pentlandflyman

Not killed a fish in around 10 years now but when i used to take a few i did as others have said and kept them in a wet bass bag in the shade (if possible) and re wet the back now and again, also gut them as soon as possible.

My old neighbour uses a cool bag from the supermarket, it has a foil lining and is insulated, he keeps a few ice packs in that and it lasts him all day, hes done that for years.

lee71

Tell you the truth I didn't even know that but will do in future.:thumbs:

You can teach an old dog new tricks.:eek:

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Correct! Mesh bass bags are also excellent for cooling beer using exactly the same method. :thumbs:

And I thought you hadn't got your land legs on when getting outta the float tube. :D