Stowting Trout Lake, Kent

sakuraba1982

Post removed as owner of stowting contacted forum members and demanded it was removed and also banned me from the Fishery

Last edited:

roger h 10

Unfortunately the issues with Stowting are far more complex and historical than just the fact that it's catch and release.
I first fished Stowting in April or May 1989,a year after it opened, and it was where I caught my first fly caught trout on a dry daddy. In those days the weed was abundant, the fly hatches had to be seen to be believed and there was an evening rise EVERY night that was the like of which I've never witnessed any where else. It was fantastic. There were pond olives,sedge, damsels and a few buzzers plus a lot of terrestrials mainly daddy long legs and Hawthorn's which the fish readily took off the top. There was also a massive amount of corixa and water shrimps.
The fish were all in excellent condition and were grown on on site and stocked daily direct from the stock ponds.

I learnt earlier this evening that Colin Cole died in September therefore out of respect for his family I have removed the rest of this post. I am told that the family are being successful in returning the fishery to it's former glory and I wish them every success with this.

Last edited:

sakuraba1982

I understand one of the owners recently passed away I have amended some of my posts

Last edited:

roger h 10

Hi there Roger, I had a conversation with an older chap at brick farm who mentioned some of the things you mention here. In fact stowting used to be a very well regarded fishery in the early days from what I hear. The skinny trout has upset me when I have fished the water in the past and it's such a shame because stowting has very little competition local to it. If you bump into me at one of the Kent waters make sure you say hello. I will tend to stand out as I may be the most tattoo covered fly fisherman in Kent. Don't let that put you off though as I'm a very friendly guy lol. In regards to stowting though....when the owner mentioned nobody was coming to the water anymore I really wanted to be honest but I didn't really want to hurt her feelings

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will certainly introduce myself if I see you. I,ve got a feeling that we may have met at Brick Farm a couple of years ago. Did you have a Grey's rod with a very heavy Grey's reel on it back then? If so I spoke to you and your friend in the car park about balance etc. May have been someone else entirely though. On the other hand it could have been me that you spoke to at Brick Farm. I do talk to a lot of people.

Last edited:

roger h 10

Would the moderators please adjust this post to reflect the modifications that I have made. Or perhaps Sakuruba would be good enough to do it.
Thank you.

sakuraba1982

Would the moderators please adjust this post to reflect the modifications that I have made. Or perhaps Sakuruba would be good enough to do it.
Thank you.

I just saw your updates roger. I have amended my posts also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sakuraba1982

Post amended as Fishery owner became upset and threw her dummy out of the pram

Last edited:

parrot

That is a coincidence. Someone mentioned Stowting to me yesterday and I was thinking of popping down there after the New Year to see if it was suitable for any of my club’s outings.