Fly Fishing Forum banner

Strange Capture Today

8K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Perch@1 
#1 · (Edited)
Fishing Grafham today with my lad, and he caught this.. on a size 12 Hare's Ear off "The Seat"....gave us quite the run around ...had to follow it in the boat on one occasion before it spooled him...

Thankfully we managed to net it....I estimate it weighed 25lb ish........it was deep, broad and very heavy when I lifted it in the boat....

Made our day
Water Sky Cloud Lake Outdoor recreation
Water Liquid Cap Fluid Shorts

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah.....amazing day, and you can't believe how happy we were to actually net it......

If I hadn't been there and seen it for myself I would have found it extremely hard to believe.

Must have been released by someone when it was smaller .....it was in in cracking condition

#21 ·
It was quite strange.....we drifted out from the bank at The Seat and i had a couple of rainbows on the midge tip and hare's ears....my lad has nothing

I motored back in as my lad was setting up, he said go right to the bank, as it would give him a bit more time in the calm water ...

He saw the Koi cruising along the willows about 10ft off the bank and said he wants to have a go .......I told him to leave it alone as it would be a waste of time.....

He put on a single fly a size 12 hares ear booby and cast in front of it......it just sucked it in...

He struck and it ran out into open water.....away from the willows and weed, so we followed it....

It even half jumped once...like a belly flop.

Anyway I was made up for him......he used a lot of swear words during the capture.

Now his sister and mum are ribbing him mercilessly.....his new nickname is "Koi Boy" ....

Yes...I guess he will go on about this for many years

#23 ·
Outstanding fish! What a great catch. Carp are great on the fly. Well done.

I used to keep Koi Carp in a pond in my garden. I had 4 of them. Instead of giving them names I gave them letters of the alphabet instead.

One day a Heron landed in the pond to try to eat them. A, B and C all got away. The Heron went for the D Koi!!

I'll get my coat!!

#28 ·
Fishing Grafham today with my lad, and he caught this.. on a size 12 Hare's Ear off "The Seat"....gave us quite the run around ...had to follow it in the boat on one occasion before it spooled him...

Thankfully we managed to net it....I estimate it weighed 25lb ish........it was deep, broad and very heavy when I lifted it in the boat....

Made our day View attachment 28137 View attachment 28138
Quite brilliant. One to tell the grandkids.Definite fish of the year to be caught on fly. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.