Streamer fishing for wild brown trout.?

streams

I think the only inferior method is the one that isn't catching any fish,everything has it's place on its day,church,sex dungeons and Spanish inquisition now there's traditions :)

LukeNZ

I think the only inferior method is the one that isn't catching any fish,everything has it's place on its day,church,sex dungeons and Spanish inquisition now there's traditions :)
Fishing days are kind of church days for me, so a sex dungeon at church is probably not as bad as it sounds. But just to be on the safe side, I wouldnt put it on my resume, or mention it to my wife's friends... 🙃

bobmiddlepoint

I haven't read the whole thread but I find it mind boggling that there are experienced anglers who have never fished streamers for river trout.
You are sat watching the river in May and the trout are hammering spawning minnows in the shallows... what do you do? Sit there thinking Iron Blue or Beacon Beige or chuck a minnow sized wet fly at them :unsure:

Andy

lipslicker

I don't fish those big streamer patterns but, when things are hard going, I fish to imitate minnows - Silver Doctor/teal and blue type flies, on #10, swung and stripped.

The way I see it, you imitate what the trout are after - flies, insects or fish - and there is no point saying 'match the hatch' then fishing a dry fly when the fish aren't even rising.

And, when the fish are hard to come by, you can cover much more ground and water using a swung or stripped fly than a nymph.

On the river I usually fish, trout hardly ever rise, even with a big hatch on. Don't know why.

BobP

The record fish from the river I fish in Austria is just over 18kg. I've seen the photos. Caught on a big streamer so you never know!

mrnotherone

Steven, embrace the baseball hat...it will be liberating. I have been wearing one for a few years now and wouldn't be without it. Admittedly it's only because I can't think of another way to attach my flip-down magnifiers :) All you need do then is not shave for a week and you'll be down with the kids.

As for a streamer, you already sold your soul when you first cast a nymph, so you might as well go the whole hog and pull a lure. There is no way back for you now.....

I am hoping that I don't live long enough to be ever tempted by a thingamabobber....I definitely don't want that on my grave stone :ROFLMAO:

Overmiwadrers

Fished as a guest a couple of weeks ago on a very snooty chalk stream . On the invitation of a guy who is a regular writer in yer fly fishing mags . the big trout were hunting the minnows down as they were schooling up for spawning . Got any streamers says he a martins minnow will do nicely . So i reckon if its ok on a chalkstream then its ok anywhere. I suppose fishing them all the time is no stranger than being a fly only man or a nymph only . Truth is Im not bothered about fishing streamers ,but those tykes who fish squirmies all the time thats another story.

O M W

GEK79

What the F##ks a Sex Dungeon!!

Is it anything like a Greenwell Glory?

I think I need to have a lie down with a glass of warm milk!

Douglas
What ever you do eddleston123 do not Google sex dungeon you may need a lie down and more than warm milk.. 😉😉

Last edited:

SirHarryLewis

I only started using them this year... so far I have caught nothing on the one attempt I have had.
But then I also a few efforts in fishing meps, lures etc and I just ending up losing a lot of gear.

GEK79

Ahh feck that must mean I'm. Completely inferior.. 😢😢

SirHarryLewis

Do streamers mostly work just early and late in the year? Do you need a flood for it to be most effective?

I gave it a go last month. Didnt work so well. I got a rise or two though.

Latest posts