Streamer fishing for wild brown trout.?

sean freeman

I fish them at any time, after a flood or when the river is rising produces the best results but anywhere with structure or deep pools below weirs will hold decent fish. I’ve not been out in a couple months now as dry fly took over but I’ll hit them hard as soon as we get rain and the temps cool. Had a fish of around 4 or 5 follow to my feet last time I was out but it just wouldn’t commit.

Spider

Steve I'd have no issues with them fishing streamers. I have a few lín my vest somewhere but never use them. Next time the water is getting too high for dries and French nymphing or too windy I'm putting one on. Problem is, I fish a 10ft 2wt these days!

jaybeegee

After following this thread, there was a devil on my shoulder when I was out on the river yesterday. The water was higher than I expected and after a couple of hours fishing nymphs and spiders to no result my thoughts turned to a fly box in the back pocket of my vest wherein lurked two rabbit fur streamers. Double checked no one watching 🙄 and tied one on, casting to mid stream and mending line to slow the swing into a spot against the bank where a big fish sometimes lurks and then retrieving to try and prompt a follow from the lie. No luck there but moved on to a big, deep pool and dropped the streamer under the rod tip to see how it swam and to try to mimic the action of a small fish. Tried some long, slightly upstream casts, varying the retrieve but no result this time. I went away with some thoughts on the method, my 10’ 3# is probably not the rod for the job, but guilt aside 🤫 I will try again.

B

Overmiwadrers

I Guess anyone who fishes for sea trout knows just how effective larger flies are for big brownies . In my local stream in the last few years I have had big brownies , chub and perch whilst sea trout fishing . but like Steven not really wanted to streamer fish often.

O M W

ohanzee

No, I have a 9ft #5 that I just use for rainbows, so that’ll do the trick.
S.
I find a softer rod smooths out the lumpy cast you get with a bigger wind resistant fly, and just cycle the cast smoothly without big pauses.

What you do when its in the water is beyond me, mine shot off down river and the best I could do was a pretty standard across and down, bit of a swing like er...a toby :unsure:

Dingbat

I find a softer rod smooths out the lumpy cast you get with a bigger wind resistant fly, and just cycle the cast smoothly without big pauses.

What you do when its in the water is beyond me, mine shot off down river and the best I could do was a pretty standard across and down, bit of a swing like er...a toby :unsure:
raise the rod keeping the line tight, lower it, pull in the slack, repeat

Mrwayne

I only ever tried a streamer once, for about 5 mins, found it horrible to cast and not much fun, if I had caught a 6lbder I might have changed that view though.

For me it was much like trying to cast something similar to a feather 4g Toby, same thing to the fish in many ways, and a 4g Toby is a very effective and functionally perfect thing to present with a super light spinning rod, the accuracy and the way you can work it is addictive, as minimal as fly fishing and more effective in a tight tree lined situation.
I recommend the mono rig.

baca157

I have been trying streamer fishing for the last couple seasons and found it really tough. I fish mainly in Scotland and for some reason fish here don’t take streamers (or most likely I am doing it wrong). I can catch on dry, wet nymph but very little luck with streamers.

I did manage to get quite a few fish in Slovenia though - rainbows in Soca and Idrijca rivers go mad for them. These rivers are so clear that you can see every fish following your streamer. It’s eye opening to see how many fish follow but don‘t take.

I did buy some streamers there which locals use to fish for marble trout. They are so heavy that you should really wear a helmet in case it hits you in the head on the forward cast. I put one on scales recently - 7g:eek:. My mate hit his rod with one on the forward cast and smashed it to pieces.

Cheers,
Sebastian

ohanzee

So what is the mono rig?
S.
If you thought streamers were a new thing you need to sit down for this, from what I can work out its up to 50' of mono, stepped down like a very long leader that you cast with, gives more control of the streamer, you are using the weight of the streamer, possibly weighted to make the cast rather than fly line, I think it comes from nymphing.
This is pretty revolutionary stuff, its not just sticking a big fly on and chucking it out there.