Streamer fishing for wild brown trout.?

Jason 70

I would not worry about using Streamers gents, I was out this morning at first light until around 0900. And found this hanging from a bush. No Pike in this water way, so Christ knows what the angler using this was hoping to catch. I use this size for Jacks not Trout.

Bit of an overkill this IMO.

Attachments

Rhithrogena

Rhithrogena

This Mono Rig business has been a complete revelation to me. Coming back to flyfishing after a long gap I was amazed to see that it was easily possible on my 7' 3wt to accurately present small dries up to 40 feet away with no flyline - just a super long 20lb nylon leader. French/Spanish/leader-to-hand - all the same ideas, really. The Mono Rig method is just a way of simply fishing dries, nymphs and streamers on the same set-up with just a tippet change.
Fascinating and addictive stuff. I am at the start of the learning curve with all this but have already caught fish up to 1 1/2lbs with the method.....
One to try for sure....
Rich

kerryjordan

This Mono Rig business has been a complete revelation to me. Coming back to flyfishing after a long gap I was amazed to see that it was easily possible on my 7' 3wt to accurately present small dries up to 40 feet away with no flyline - just a super long 20lb nylon leader. French/Spanish/leader-to-hand - all the same ideas, really. The Mono Rig method is just a way of simply fishing dries, nymphs and streamers on the same set-up with just a tippet change.
Fascinating and addictive stuff. I am at the start of the learning curve with all this but have already caught fish up to 1 1/2lbs with the method.....
One to try for sure....
Rich
Is that a tapered or level leader that you are using?

pati

It s funny: i have very little limits as to what method I would use but the monorig for me is one step too far. Don’t get me wrong I have absolutely no doubt about its advantages but to me fly fishing is all about casting so all methods that consist in lobbing the fly/flies are not for me (that includes most euro nymphing approaches). Would I catch more fishes using these methods: yes no doubt, would I get more pleasure/have more fun no absolutely not and that’s why it’s where I draw the line. It s called fishing, not catching for a reason!

That said I do enjoy watching others use these techniques and don’t mind it at all: each to its own!

Probably a lot of you guys would be more shocked by dead drifting a size 4 woolly bigger under an indicator than by a monorig but for me it’s the other way around (although not a thingamabober thing, this is another limit of mine!!!!)

Rhithrogena

Is that a tapered or level leader that you are using?
Hi,
I have been experimenting with a trimmed back knotless tapered leader and added tippet. The butt is similar to the 20lb mono rig mainline
It s funny: i have very little limits as to what method I would use but the monorig for me is one step too far. Don’t get me wrong I have absolutely no doubt about its advantages but to me fly fishing is all about casting so all methods that consist in lobbing the fly/flies are not for me (that includes most euro nymphing approaches). Would I catch more fishes using these methods: yes no doubt, would I get more pleasure/have more fun no absolutely not and that’s why it’s where I draw the line. It s called fishing, not catching for a reason!

That said I do enjoy watching others use these techniques and don’t mind it at all: each to its own!

Probably a lot of you guys would be more shocked by dead drifting a size 4 woolly bigger under an indicator than by a monorig but for me it’s the other way around (although not a thingamabober thing, this is another limit of mine!!!!)
The advantage of the mono rig for me is for small dries it is easily the most delicate presentation you are going to get for any method with a reel. Almost Tenkara like delicacy up to 40 feet. Definitely not lobbing the flies; proper casts with small loops. Correct technique very necessary and you have to cast with the wind (a crosswind of more than a few mph kills the method). I have had good success with downstream dry techniques - invredibly long drag-free drifts. I have only used the method a few times but so far I'm very impressed. Try casting with just 20lb nylon and a small fly - it's surprising.....
But the weighted streamers on the same rig is definitely not classical fly casting!!)

GEK79

I would not worry about using Streamers gents, I was out this morning at first light until around 0900. And found this hanging from a bush. No Pike in this water way, so Christ knows what the angler using this was hoping to catch. I use this size for Jacks not Trout.

Bit of an overkill this IMO.
Pointless unless your looking for big pike.. Do you get salmon there??

kerryjordan

Hi,
I have been experimenting with a trimmed back knotless tapered leader and added tippet. The butt is similar to the 20lb mono rig mainline
The advantage of the mono rig for me is for small dries it is easily the most delicate presentation you are going to get for any method with a reel. Almost Tenkara like delicacy up to 40 feet. Definitely not lobbing the flies; proper casts with small loops. Correct technique very necessary and you have to cast with the wind (a crosswind of more than a few mph kills the method). I have had good success with downstream dry techniques - invredibly long drag-free drifts. I have only used the method a few times but so far I'm very impressed. Try casting with just 20lb nylon and a small fly - it's surprising.....
But the weighted streamers on the same rig is definitely not classical fly casting!!)
Excellent - thank you. I’ve been practicing today with a 9 metre Hends French leader with about a metre at the tippet end cut off, attached to a 5 foot tippet. Seems to cast ok with only a tiny breeze.

Rhithrogena

Excellent - thank you. I’ve been practicing today with a 9 metre Hends French leader with about a metre at the tippet end cut off, attached to a 5 foot tippet. Seems to cast ok with only a tiny breeze.
I have been using about 15m of Mustad Thor 20lb Fluo orange nylon with about 3 feet of a cut down 7 foot tapered leader to 2 feet of tippet This nylon casts well, is very bright and is £2.99 for 100m 😉

Attachments

kerryjordan

I have been using about 15m of Mustad Thor 20lb Fluo orange nylon with about 3 feet of a cut down 7 foot tapered leader to 2 feet of tippet This nylon casts well, is very bright and is £2.99 for 100m 😉
I’m not familiar with that line - is it similar to Amnesia?

Rhithrogena

New to me too - I just googled orange nylon and bingo!
I like it; I have just splurged on 12lb and 32lb spools too. I reckon the 32lb might make a good 'heavy' line for this new-to-me way of casting (for casting streamers maybe which is where we came in), and the 12lb might serve for 'tenkara' with the new cheapy 13 foot pole I got off that well known site. It seems low memory and not too stretchy and will serve ok I am sure.
I would be interested if anyone else has tried this line?

I’m not familiar with that line - is it similar to Amnesia?

Attachments

skinner

I use this straight from line to streamer 6’ to 8’ , never a problem

BlueFrog

For the last two years now I've tried streamer fishing, watched a video on utube & decided to give a go.
Nothing elaborate, a couple of badger feathers back to back, a bit dubbing, & if you want a tungsten bead.
I czech most of the time, fish upstream till I've had enough, then streamer fish back down stream on my way to the motor.
Takes are heart stopping at times, it's addictive aswell, you'll be amazed how many fish that have refused your team of nymphs....

Latest posts