Streamer fishing for wild brown trout.?

eddleston123

Takes are heart stopping at times, it's addictive aswell, you'll be amazed how many fish that have refused your team of nymphs....

I have read through all the posts in this thread and the above is the most interesting.

A team of nymphs (presumably, naturally presented) are refused by trout. But when fishing downstream with a streamer, trout that refused your nymph take the streamer!

I do not want to give this method a try - but I probably will - Purely for experimental, and scientific reasons only!!

Douglas

Last edited:

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
For the last two years now I've tried streamer fishing, watched a video on utube & decided to give a go.
Nothing elaborate, a couple of badger feathers back to back, a bit dubbing, & if you want a tungsten bead.
I czech most of the time, fish upstream till I've had enough, then streamer fish back down stream on my way to the motor.
Takes are heart stopping at times, it's addictive aswell, you'll be amazed how many fish that have refused your team of nymphs....
I often do similar, swapping between nymphs and streamers. last night the river was well up but running clear, I thought streamer was the way to go whilst waiting for the evening rise. Not a breath of wind so used a 2 weight. Fished through two pools and surprisingly nothing. Stuck the nymphs on and fish after fish to size 16 perdigons, stopped counting at 30. Best just shy of 2lb. I can only think that water temp was too high to chase. Evening rise never materialised either altough there were a lot of spinners about.

Attachments

BlueFrog

Fished through two pools and surprisingly nothing. Stuck the nymphs on and fish after fish to size 16 perdigons, stopped counting at 30.
TBH I would have expected the opposite, but that's fishing.. 😁

I'm trying to find the vid on utube that set the wheels in motion for me, I encounted the same river conditions one day as the lad in the video, river swollen @ coloured.
His method was not to fish down @ across, but to keep the nylon off the water @ fish the streamer in different directions in the top part of the water imitating small fish swimming from the main current back to the shallows.

I had to give it a go, hooked (forgive the pun) exciting at times.. Its not the b all @ end all, but another method in the arsenal to try when all else doesn't produce results..

Douglas... In the words of Dellboy, give it a go "you know it makes sense"😁.

SirHarryLewis

Assuming one hits the river pre rise at this time of the year, is it worth trying nymphs or streamers? Always assumed they only worked early or late season

running bear

I'm trying to find the vid on utube that set the wheels in motion for me, I encounted the same river conditions one day as the lad in the video, river swollen @ coloured.
George Daniel does a few vids on streamers in high water as you describe, all excellent.
Assuming one hits the river pre rise at this time of the year, is it worth trying nymphs or streamers? Always assumed they only worked early or late season
Three weeks ago I’d a cracking evening on streamers at a similar level to two nights ago when they didn’t want them. Only obvious difference I could see was water temp. I did well in 14 degrees, they weren’t interested when it was 17.

SirHarryLewis

Bought streamers from clonav to go with my existing collection.... They are massive. I've posted one besides my previous largest. Note the hook!!

IMG_20200812_194032.jpg

Mrwayne

John Barnes is a great fisherman, I've been following his techniques for some time. ×

SirHarryLewis

Those are damsel imitations.
The smaller ones? According to some book I have, they can be a fished as either depending on retrieval pattern. But pretty much the whole selection, zonkerheads, snakes etc are far smaller in the previous store I was in. I'm afraid of these big ones 🤔

Jason 70

Funnily enough I had a few fly's arrive in work this morning. Among them two of these.

IMG_20200813_101837.jpg

A Wooly Bugger Black Skullhead. We are due a fair amount of rain over the next couple of day's and I expect the river will be running hard and a little dirty come Saturday.

Cam

Funnily enough I had a few fly's arrive in work this morning. Among them two of these.

View attachment 29764

A Wooly Bugger Black Skullhead. We are due a fair amount of rain over the next couple of day's and I expect the river will be running hard and a little dirty come Saturday.
That Wooly Bugger looks like it would do the trick fished up the margins !!

SirHarryLewis

This blurry pic is my first streamer trout. Caught on the liffey he is the biggest I have caught (I am not good with big trout?) at over 2lb plus I also tried euro nymphing yesterday without any success.

So I guess streamers are the way to go for big trout. My new greys gr 60 #7 made light work of this heavy fly and was really reassuring when battling a very strong current.

My only concern is the hook size. They are quite brutal . It put quite a hole in the roof of his mouth. I considerd killing him for a second as he might not make it on release. However it was away from his gills.

My other take home message is that flood water is quite dangerous.

Attachments

running bear

This blurry pic is my first streamer trout. Caught on the liffey he is the biggest I have caught (I am not good with big trout?) at over 2lb plus I also tried euro nymphing yesterday without any success.

So I guess streamers are the way to go for big trout. My new greys gr 60 #7 made light work of this heavy fly and was really reassuring when battling a very strong current.

My only concern is the hook size. They are quite brutal . It put quite a hole in the roof of his mouth. I considerd killing him for a second as he might not make it on release. However it was away from his gills.

My other take home message is that flood water is quite dangerous.
Streamers are great on the Liffey when the water is coloured, there’s massive fish in there that are rarely seen otherwise (or the last light/night). Were you fishing above or below Lexlip dam?
Hook wise, I tie on hends barbless jig hooks, size 8, they are a big 8, and have a good large gape but don’t appear to do a lot of damage.

SirHarryLewis

Streamers are great on the Liffey when the water is coloured, there’s massive fish in there that are rarely seen otherwise (or the last light/night). Were you fishing above or below Lexlip dam?
Hook wise, I tie on hends barbless jig hooks, size 8, they are a big 8, and have a good large gape but don’t appear to do a lot of damage.
Above the Dam. It was Ballymore Eustace. Your right though. Clearly some very impressive fish. Easily comparable with the River Suir where I hope to try this out next. I might also try a smaller streamer but Clonav sold me this one. They told me these ones really work best.

running bear

Above the Dam. It was Ballymore Eustace. Your right though. Clearly some very impressive fish. Easily comparable with the River Suir where I hope to try this out next. I might also try a smaller streamer but Clonav sold me this one. They told me these ones really work best.
That’s a cracking fish for above the lakes, never mind above lexlip
It’s not an area I’ve fished much, I usually fish the Liffey around Clane and Straffan. Nothing more than 2lb from the Liffey this year, I stalked one around 5lb for 2 hrs one night this summer. He was taking spinners but only about 1 in 10 that passed him. The closest I got was when he nudged two of my offerings, but with no intention of taking.
The Boyne is somewhere else that fishes well to streamers, potential for a monster.
4 more more weeks for a biggie, tight lines!