Streamers vs Wet Flies

SirHarryLewis

Have been doing some big streamer fishing last year looking for those really big brown trout.
Recently thinking of Sea Trout fishing. I see a lot of the flies used are just size 12 Teals or Kildevil Spiders. Flies that wouldn't bring out a massive brown trout because it wouldn't worth its effort to go after such small bait.

So the question is, would a large streamer at night bring about a bigger Sea Trout?

whitehorses

slightly off topic but i was using 3-5 " streamers for pike until i met a guy on the beach last week ,he told me 7-9" is the norm ,so i guess its down to the size a fish can comfortably fit in its mouth
unless your in an aquarium and a yellow 3" tropical chiclid fish trying to nip away at a shark 3 times his size ,lol

bbamboo

It was popular at one time to night fish with flies called bustards. I remember a few of the old guys used to fish this way back in the 70s. Did it myself years ago.

taffy1

More often than not, conditions will dictate. For example, on a summer low river with possible moonlight, a smaller lure will be more effective. A higher running river in complete darkness, a larger lure may prove to be productive. The summer months of July & August usually sees an abundance of the smaller sewin/finnock running. Larger sea trout here on my local, tend to run early & late season, so timing on the river can be helpful. Tight lines

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Have been doing some big streamer fishing last year looking for those really big brown trout.
Recently thinking of Sea Trout fishing. I see a lot of the flies used are just size 12 Teals or Kildevil Spiders. Flies that wouldn't bring out a massive brown trout because it wouldn't worth its effort to go after such small bait.

So the question is, would a large streamer at night bring about a bigger Sea Trout?
Would depend on the where and when.
My biggest wild brown took a size 16 peter ross.
My biggest sea trout took a size 16 double (very long tail) cascade shrimp!
Dont get bogged down with the big fly for big fish thinking, put on what you think might be right!

bobmiddlepoint

I've never lived in a land of very big sea trout so my biggest have all been in the 8lb - 11lb class. They have been caught on a:
Size 10 Alexandra.
Size 12 dry sedge.
2" black and silver tube.
Large flying C
6" pike fly

Try a bit of this, try a bit of that, see what your fish want and don't worry too much about what the books say!

Andy

Reactions: atr