Stripped plastic coating - Fly Line

eddleston123

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the plastic had come off a portion of the running line on my WF line. As I had only used this fly line to a limited extent this year, I put aquasure on it as a repair to last me to the end of the season.. This dried a bit lumpy, but that was only a problem when I was casting at range.

At the reservoir today, I noticed several other parts of the running line had the same problem. Now, just to be clear, this is not 'cracking' of the line, it is two-three inch strips which seem to have pealed off. I have, tonight, put the line in the bucket!

Now, there is a chance that I may have stood on the line at some stage, but I really don't think so.

My question is - has anyone else out there experienced this problem with a line.

Douglas

sightbob

Hi Douglas , first thing I would do is check the tip eye in fact
all eyes on the rods you use it on. There may be a sharp groove developing. Also your reel, check there's no edge your pulling the line against when stripping line off. If all ok it may just been drawn over something in the water ,boat or bank.
John

sightbob

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the plastic had come off a portion of the running line on my WF line. As I had only used this fly line to a limited extent this year, I put aquasure on it as a repair to last me to the end of the season.. This dried a bit lumpy, but that was only a problem when I was casting at range.

At the reservoir today, I noticed several other parts of the running line had the same problem. Now, just to be clear, this is not 'cracking' of the line, it is two-three inch strips which seem to have pealed off. I have, tonight, put the line in the bucket!

Now, there is a chance that I may have stood on the line at some stage, but I really don't think so.

My question is - has anyone else out there experienced this problem with a line.

Douglas
I have done it to a Di3 before, i nicked it when changing spools
then pulled it instead of taking spool out.

icejohn

This kinda thing has only happened to me on a very old Di 7 type line. Ie a line with a high tungsten powder content.

If ur line is under two new years old, I would suggest it's faulty.

Regardless of stepping on it no way 3-4 inch plastic should come off it.

Unless a rod ring has worn down to create a kind of razer.

Last edited:

ohanzee

Hi Douglas , first thing I would do is check the tip eye in fact
all eyes on the rods you use it on. There may be a sharp groove developing. Also your reel, check there's no edge your pulling the line against when stripping line off. If all ok it may just been drawn over something in the water ,boat or bank.
John
Well spotted that, linear slices along the line could be the sharp edge of a broken eye.

BobP

If the rings and reel are OK maybe it is just plain old age, so how old is the line? Sooner or later they will give up the ghost.

easker1

I repaired a similar Problem with PVC cement, Sheila Hassams Used to sell this as part of a line repair kit, I used to put it on and roll the line in a piece of Polythene not brilliant but very useable, I got my last cement in a Caravan & camping shop, easker1

Paul_B

Some suncream aren't too good for lines, you haven't been using that have you? there's also some polishes and cleaners that aren't line friendly

eddleston123

If the rings and reel are OK maybe it is just plain old age, so how old is the line? Sooner or later they will give up the ghost.

The line was purchased beginning of this year. It has only been used some 40 sessions.

I'm just going out to my car just now to check the rings on my rod. Should they be o.k., I'll go with the assumption, that the line may have been faulty, or I have stood on it at some stage on the jaggy reservoir rocks.

Douglas

eddleston123

The line was purchased beginning of this year. It has only been used some 40 sessions.

I'm just going out to my car just now to check the rings on my rod. Should they be o.k., I'll go with the assumption, that the line may have been faulty, or I have stood on it at some stage on the jaggy reservoir rocks.

Douglas

Just checked all the rod rings. They are absolutely fine. I expected that, as the rod is only two months old.

Hopefully, this is just a one off, if it happens again, I think I may consider using a line tray when fishing the reservoir, alternatively perhaps just use a John Norris line or a Mill End!

Douglas

BobP

Douglas

I had a situation with a Snowbee line a couple of years ago. A brand new 2-5 weight Thistledown which, on its 2nd outing, had the coating part from the dacron core for about 6". Luckily I had a spare #4 with me which suited the rod. Snowbee replaced the line. This was in the October and for various reasons the line got very little use apart from a couple of grayling sessions and one good session on Farmoor.

Next trip out , again after chalkstream grayling and the same problem. I phoned Simon Kidd at Snowbee, sent the line back and 3rd time lucky. The manufacturers were having problems getting the plastic coating to bond to the dacron apparently.

On both lines it looked as if a fine blade had sliced along the line rather than being crushed as one would expect from being trodden on.

eddleston123

Douglas

I had a situation with a Snowbee line a couple of years ago. A brand new 2-5 weight Thistledown which, on its 2nd outing, had the coating part from the dacron core for about 6". Luckily I had a spare #4 with me which suited the rod. Snowbee replaced the line. This was in the October and for various reasons the line got very little use apart from a couple of grayling sessions and one good session on Farmoor.

Next trip out , again after chalkstream grayling and the same problem. I phoned Simon Kidd at Snowbee, sent the line back and 3rd time lucky. The manufacturers were having problems getting the plastic coating to bond to the dacron apparently.

On both lines it looked as if a fine blade had sliced along the line rather than being crushed as one would expect from being trodden on.

That's a good description - 'looked as if a fine blade had sliced along the line' - I've now checked the only other rod that I have used this year and the rings are fine.

I think I'll have a look at my reels now.

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

I lost a Greys Heron Grey floater that I really liked to the razor sharp rocks on the bank at Turret. It got nicked between 2 of them on the shoot of the line and it was, literally, like a scalpel had been used. Clean through but held by a sliver! If a fish had taken it first cast it would have had 15 yards of fly line attached.
Tried the line tray thing and it's not for me, just got in the way no matter how I wore it, and I got a fully adjustable one too.
I'm now just more mindful of where the line is and try to keep it all in my hand.

Rob Edmunds

Lots of things cause cuts in lines, worn rod tips, stones, catching it in the reel when changing spools......dropping the reel spool on the line in the bottom of a boat is my favourite trick to ruin a line... etc ...

You have basically a couple of choices..

1 - Repair the line - You can slide a 2 to 3 inch section of braided backing over the rear of the line and over the cut and whip each end of the braid neatly and superglue (only for sinking lines)...this will last and hold pretty well....just check each season

2 - shorten the line depending on where the cut is ......if in the last 10ft of the running line .........or in the first 8ft then it will be useable.

If not then your only opinion is buying a new line......

original cormorant

The only possible explanation that hasn't yet been mentioned is deet or equivalent. But from what you've said BobP's faulty line looks like the explanation.

Latest posts