Stroft Tippet ?

johnboy789

Is Stroft Nylon a good tippet for dry fly fishing ? & if so which would you recommend :- LS / ABR / GTM, I read that if using stroft you need to use the right knot, I usually use Uni Knot for tippet to fly & fig of 8 for droppers are they o.k.
John.

PaulD

I've used Stroft GTM for years and my thoughts are that it's excellent. I use a tucked four turn blood knot to attach flies and a three turn water knot for droppers and never had any knot failures.

JCP

The endless enigma of ''marmite'' Stroft. Some luv it and some ? just don't .Have used Stroft GTM for years fishing dries on the river and still use it.Have found knots you mention to be bullet proof although prefer Davy for flies.Personal choice is all.In all honesty do not use Stroft GTM with droppers.I find it retains memory and once ''kinked'' in any way needs changing.Fished as a tippet on a furled leader this is not an issue.Recent tip here from an ultra reliable source said do not wet knots before tightening just pull up ''real'' slow.

JP

eddleston123

I've used GTM for years with no complaints - as mentioned above a tucked blood knot has never let me down. Just a footnote - most of my fishing is for wild river brownies. Big hefty 4lb bows may be a different matter.

However, I have never used ABS or LS - so I'll leave that up to someone who knows.

Douglas

murph

I'm going to give this stuff a try as I've seen a lot of good things said about it, I've just come to the end of my current tippet that I use for my dry fly fishing also.

My question is, the spools can be brought in 50 or 100m. Is the 100m spool size able to be worn on the from of a chest pack and do they press into each other? Or are they a little too bulky for this?

Thanks

Calder Junky

I prefer the ABR for all my river fishing as it’s lower flash than the GTM and also less prone to pigtailing than the GTM in my experience.

I’ve done ok with it competitively and I know six times English National Rivers Champion John Tyzack uses nothing else but ABR for all his river fishing.

I have absolutely no idea where all the knot ******** comes from when using Stroft ( either ABR or GTM), just pick a respected knot and learn to tie it well In my experience.

Not certain about pulling the knots up dry as advocated by someone recently on here. Pretty certain pigtails could be an issue and again I know that John Tyzack and three times World Champion Pascal Cognard ( another Stroft user) both pull their knots up wet so I’m happy to carry on doing just that.

Andy

taffy1

A couple of centuries ago I was told to find 1 that I like, learn the knots & stick with it. Unfortunately, I chose 4 that I liked & trusted. Kamasan, Drennan, Maxima & Airflo had what I liked & what I had faith in. Never had an issue with any of them.

ohanzee

GTM for me.

I think you can still buy the tiny 25m spools but they are about the same price as 50m ones, bout a fiver.

Never had a knot issue that wasn't me with anything, test it by hand before putting it to a fish and learn to spot wind knots before fish do.

andygrey

I've used GTM for all my fishing for the past few years, really like it. I find it needs a tucked blood knot on larger gauge hooks, untucked seems to be fine on finer ones.

Wee Jimmy

Not certain about pulling the knots up dry as advocated by someone recently on here. Pretty certain pigtails could be an issue and again I know that John Tyzack and three times World Champion Pascal Cognard ( another Stroft user) both pull their knots up wet so I’m happy to carry on doing just that.

Andy
Why might pigtails be more of an issue on an unwetted knot Andy..?
Stroft knots very easily at the best of times and indeed it’s slippyness seems to be an issue for some.As long as you pull the knot together slowly you won’t create enough heat through friction to cause any damage .I don’t get why doing this would make it any more prone to unravel...?

Last edited:

mrnotherone

Use both ABR and GTM and don't understand the reported issues with tying knots. Have used a tucked blood knot and davy knot for years without problems.

speytime

I think the people that think it's sh1t have got bored replying to stroft threads.
As mentioned above its a constant debate, why do you think that is?
It didn't pass the test for me to use, it broke near to 30% under its stated breaking strain and is far thicker than stated, if you put a micrometer to it, 6.7lb 0.16 is really 4.5lb and 0.18.

Test it ignore the label 👍

Al

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

I think the people that think it's sh1t have got bored replying to stroft threads.
As mentioned above its a constant debate, why do you think that is?
It didn't pass the test for me to use, it broke near to 30% under its stated breaking strain and is far thicker than stated, if you put a micrometer to it, 6.7lb 0.16 is really 4.5lb and 0.18.

Test it ignore the label 👍

Al
Fair enough Al but how can you explain why so many folk have no issues with it. It can’t be good and shyte at the same time.

Reactions: JCP

speytime

Fair enough Al but how can you explain why so many folk have no issues with it. It can’t be good and shyte at the same time.
I don't know Jimmy i've asked myself the very same question, how can we all arrive at different conclusion with tippet in particular.
I think it's because we use sufficient allowance in the diameter to fish size that's being caught?

I've not had enough experience with different tippets to say this is better than that, I rely on my own tests, I've found diameter is key to breaking strain.

Cheers Al

Wee Jimmy

I don't know Jimmy i've asked myself the very same question, how can we all arrive at different conclusion with tippet in particular.
I think it's because we use sufficient allowance in the diameter to fish size that's being caught?

I've not had enough experience with different tippets to say this is better than that, I rely on my own tests, I've found diameter is key to breaking strain.

Cheers Al
I’ve used various brands of the pre stretched nylons in conjunction with five weight gear for all my dry fly work for a long time now.They are not as robust as the standard tarry rope types but there a pros and cons with everything and you learn the do’s and don’ts.
Going finer does make a big difference in many situations,I’ve proved it to myself more times than I can remember.
There will be many reasons why some don’t get on with it but unbalanced gear, poor knotting and poor touch will be behind most of the problems.

suzuki15hp

Apart from bad knots, I also think fast action, stiff tipped fly rods are a factor in why some people have problems with breaking certain tippets.

ohanzee

Apart from bad knots, I also think fast action, stiff tipped fly rods are a factor in why some people have problems with breaking certain tippets.
Any rod below 45 degrees looses its cushion, I did an experiment years ago to show this, you get someone to hold the fly and raise the rod, below 45 degrees the person holding the fly can control the rod and stretch the tippet, above 45 degrees the bend of any rod prevents direct strain on the tippet, an engineering principle in action.

Latest posts