Stroft Tippet ?

boisker

Apart from bad knots, I also think fast action, stiff tipped fly rods are a factor in why some people have problems with breaking certain tippets.
how many stiff tipped fast action rods are there? and are enough people fishing them to explain the issue with breaking strain?

most fast actioned rods I have tried or fished with have a softer tip with a the transition varying between smooth and more abrupt...

I often fish a scott radian... by most people’s reckoning a fast rod, the tip is softer and then it has a fairly abrupt transition into a stiffer mid-section and butt.... anyone experiencing a problem with stroft breaking strains fishing the radian isn’t due to the rod... back to sh!t knot tying again 😂
stroft tippet in lighter breaking strains/diameter is prone to pig tails or being weakened if you tighten up to quickly

ohanzee

I have never had a problem knotting any material in terms of breaking, but have had problems with particular knots, the Davey knot was one, this put me off risking it and I avoid it rather than perfect it.
Now...do I blame the knot? or the material?

Jeltz

I was only thinking to myself the day that we haven't had a stroft thread for a while............ 🤔
I don't even think about the brand of tippet I use, as long as it does not break like cotton, that will do me.

But it has got me thinking a bit, how often should you buy new tippet, after 1 season? or would you leave it a couple or 3 seasons.

speytime

My reservations about it don't come from experience its testing and other peeps experience, all being equal its no better than maxima in the same diameter but without the fragile nature of pre stretched.

Al

Wee Jimmy

My reservations about it don't come from experience its testing and other peeps experience, all being equal its no better than maxima in the same diameter but without the fragile nature of pre stretched.

Al
You’re a braver man than me if you want to tackle those big jaggy tailed jobs up at the Lake with 3lb maxima...😆

speytime

😂 It wouldn't be my 1st choice but if it was necessary I would use it with a fair level of confidence.
I think the heart in my mouth stuff due to light line is fantastic, it gets the adrenaline flowing.

Cheers Al

You’re a braver man than me if you want to tackle those big jaggy tailed jobs up at the Lake with 3lb maxima...😆

JCP

And so it rumbles on.The ''acid test'' is what counts not messing about with micrometers and home testing apparatus. Arguing the toss in the face of sage like wisdom borne out of vast experience just really makes no sense.. To me anyway.

JP

speytime

And so it rumbles on.The ''acid test'' is what counts not messing about with micrometers and home testing apparatus. Arguing the toss in the face of sage like wisdom borne out of vast experience just really makes no sense.. To me anyway.

JP
I totally disagree, a micrometer tells me it's not as thin as claimed or I want to be using, testing it with scales tells me that it can't meet the stated breaking strain, personally I think that's more of an acid test.

Al

JCP

I totally disagree, a micrometer tells me it's not as thin as claimed or I want to be using, testing it with scales tells me that it can't meet the stated breaking strain, personally I think that's more of an acid test.

Al
As you say Al I totally disagree with your logic.I happen to believe micrometers and scales are not really suited to the tests described.The only test is fishing the tippet of the specification required and proving the worth thereof.Most of us can tell by feel, knotting and hand testing if a tippet has a chance of being suitable although have not needed to wonder about tippet for some time now but always ''hand test'' as Ohanzee mentioned purely out of habit I guess.My point is you are flying in the face of some very experienced fly fishers.Not one but several who have all the T-shirts and shed loads of practical.I note you like to have the last word so go right ahead.Feel free.Sorry but just irritates when folks sow the seeds of doubt based purely on their own often proven to be misguided experiences.It is the old adage which says everyone else surely cannot be wrong and you The only one who is right.

JP

nymphist

ABR is stiff, LS is stiffer, GTM is softer than the other two. As for diameters - for Europe if the line has the Effta approved logo, it means it may have deviations of around up to 9% of the stated braking strenght. If there is no logo, it means that the manufacturer may print whatever he wants on the label about the bs . The same is valid for the stated diameter. Most of the lines dont have the Effta approved logo, because its not obligatory, so when you want to test different lines the only way to know is to compare them by using both a micrometer and some device to pull for the bs.

I am using the line - mainly the GTM version, almost exclusively for the last +25 seasons and who knows how many thousands of fish , although the ABR may be slightly better for nymphing, but when you want a realy stiff line with no elasticity the fluorocarbon stroft FC1 is even better and yep, i read a lot of stroft discussions over the years on this and other forums .🙂

bgooch

Stroft tippet is EFTTA compliant; carries the EFTTA logo.

According to the 2020 Stroft catalogue, for the ABR and the FC1 and FC2 (all of which I use), Stroft states: "Permissable diameter variation +/- 0.002 mm" "Permissable breaking strain deviation of +/- 10%".

nymphist

Stroft tippet is EFTTA compliant; carries the EFTTA logo.

According to the 2020 Stroft catalogue, for the ABR and the FC1 and FC2 (all of which I use), Stroft states: "Permissable diameter variation +/- 0.002 mm" "Permissable breaking strain deviation of +/- 10%".
yep, exactly , these are printed on the label along with another reference re. diameter that is Effta aproved, the above one quoted refers only to the linear deviations over the entire lenght of the line measured at any given point.

mrnotherone

I have never had a problem knotting any material in terms of breaking, but have had problems with particular knots, the Davey knot was one, this put me off risking it and I avoid it rather than perfect it.
Now...do I blame the knot? or the material?
I was similar with the Davy, but it's worth persevering and I now have total confidence in it.

boisker

I really like stroft, but it is a tippet that I find is knot ’sensitive’ for me...
I struggle with the Davy in the smallest tippet diameters, some hold and some just pull through... I‘ve never been able to spot anything different in the tying of it.... for some reason I can’t rely on it

for smaller sizes I used a grinner (uni) or tucked blood knot...
I was similar with the Davy, but it's worth persevering and I now have total confidence in it.

ohanzee

I'm reluctant, it let me down, even though you now confirm its me I'm still wary, I think this is how we all form opinions on tippet.

Latest posts