Stroft Tippet ?

Calder Junky

ALL friction creates heat. The lower the coefficient of friction the less heat is generated when pulling up your knot and I just figure the less heat the better.

A liquid lubricant will pretty much always infer a lower coefficient of friction than any surface treatment such as Strofts PTFE sintering process used to treat their GTM line so I’d go wet rather than dry for that reason alone but there’s also a second bite of the cherry as the extra mass of wet lubricant also acts as a heat sink to reduce any temperature increase.

Certainly doesn’t do any harm so why wouldn’t you ???

Andy

ohanzee

If you pull a knot snug too quickly with Stroft it does put a wee curve in as it does with others, friction heat is the only explanation I know there so surprised they advise not wetting it.

Wee Jimmy

ALL friction creates heat. The lower the coefficient of friction the less heat is generated when pulling up your knot and I just figure the less heat the better.

A liquid lubricant will pretty much always infer a lower coefficient of friction than any surface treatment such as Strofts PTFE sintering process used to treat their GTM line so I’d go wet rather than dry for that reason alone but there’s also a second bite of the cherry as the extra mass of wet lubricant also acts as a heat sink to reduce any temperature increase.

Certainly doesn’t do any harm so why wouldn’t you ???

Andy
That’s not what I asked you. You said you were certain that pigtails would be an issue if you don’t wet the knot.

Calder Junky

That’s not what I asked you. You said you were certain that pigtails would be an issue if you don’t wet the knot.
I said I was pretty certain it COULD be an issue, not definitely WOULD be an issue if you read what I wrote again and I’ll stand by that every day of the week. One mans definition of a pigtail is another mans definition of a ‘slight kink in their leader’ but I’ll fish with neither and the best way I know of doing that is pulling my knots up wet, not dry.

Andy

taffy1

If I'm fairly deep when wading & changing a fly/lure, I form whichever knot I decide to use & end up tightening that knot underwater. Works for me but I haven't used any Stroft. Drennan Sub-Surface, Maxima Ultragreen or Airflo G3.

lee71

If I'm fairly deep when wading & changing a fly/lure, I form whichever knot I decide to use & end up tightening that knot underwater. Works for me but I haven't used any Stroft. Drennan Sub-Surface, Maxima Ultragreen or Airflo G3.
Spit on the knot, it lubricates more than water. (y)

Wee Jimmy

I said I was pretty certain it COULD be an issue, not definitely WOULD be an issue if you read what I wrote again and I’ll stand by that every day of the week. One mans definition of a pigtail is another mans definition of a ‘slight kink in their leader’ but I’ll fish with neither and the best way I know of doing that is pulling my knots up wet, not dry.

Andy
My definition of a pigtail is when the hook is gone after whole knot slips . Kinks ,slight or otherwise are also caused by tying the knot incorrectly or through friction by pulling it together too quickly even with lubrication.
If you form everything correctly and evenly and pull it together ultra slowly there are no issues. I can say that after 30 plus years of no issues ....not because somebody else does it.

taffy1

I wonder if Skues, Halford et al had these very same discussions? I'm fairly sure they almost used the same materials between themselves & I think they caught fish.

Cap'n Fishy

I wonder if Skues, Halford et al had these very same discussions? I'm fairly sure they almost used the same materials between themselves & I think they caught fish.
Were they using low-diameter (pre-stretched) copolymer nylons and fluorocarbons? Did they catch as many fish as we do?

nymphist

The secret with stroft knotting is to wet it not by saliva but with water from the river you will fish , bending gracefully towards the water surface when wetting and always facing east. 🤔

Latest posts