Stroft Tippet ?

Cap'n Fishy

You piddle about putting glycerin on every knot, :unsure:
No 'piddling about' required. :rolleyes: I make my leaders up at home, where I can concentrate on doing it right. Then I store them on rig-winders...

I keep a small pot with glycerin in it and I just dot my finger-tip onto the surface of the glycerin and then touch it onto the knot before pulling it tight.

I mean, FFS - you must have seen the vast hordes of people who come on here to complain about this leader material and that leader material... Between them, they seem to be incapable of using half of the leader materials on sale. Nothing but complaints and moans about how this material just breaks and that material is useless - can't land a fish on it without breaking.... Do these people ever stop and wonder how it is that some folk are using the same materials without any issues??? If you have your knots and your system worked out and you've been using it to good effect for 40-odd years, you would be onto a winner, even if it DID involve 'piddling about'! :p

On the water, when it comes to tying on flies, I either use saliva or just do a slow dry tighten. But I don't rate saliva as a good lubricant. Mine isn't, anyway.

Last edited:

JCP

No 'piddling about' required. :rolleyes: I make my leaders up at home, where I can concentrate on doing it right. Then I store them on rig-winders...

I keep a small pot with glycerin in it and I just dot my finger-tip onto the surface of the glycerin and then touch it onto the knot before pulling it tight.

I mean, FFS - you must have seen the vast hordes of people who come on here to complain about this leader material and that leader material... Between them, they seem to be incapable of using half of the leader materials on sale. Nothing but complaints and moans about how this material just breaks and that material is useless - can't land a fish on it without breaking.... Do these people ever stop and wonder how it is that some folk are using the same materials without any issues??? If you have your knots and your system worked out and you've been using it to good effect for 40-odd years, you would be onto a winner, even if it DID involve 'piddling about'! :p

On the water, when it comes to tying on flies, I either use saliva or just do a slow dry tighten. But I don't rate saliva as a good lubricant. Mine isn't, anyway.
😁👍😂 😈,,,,,,one like not enough.

Cap'n Fishy

😁👍😂 😈,,,,,,one like not enough.
I make up a batch at a time that will last several trips before I need to make up another batch - and they will also see me through a week's fishing holiday away somewhere. Also gives me spares, eg for when a fish on the bob toasts the whole cast. Added to that, there are different diameters for different types of fishing, methods and fly sizes. I'm fishing lochs for big stockie rainbows one day, small wild brownies the next day, salmon and sea trout the next. Need to have the right tools for the job. There are options in fluoro, standard nylon and low-diameter nylon for different tactics. Different lengths for different situations. I never re-use a leader once it's been on, so if I change tactics several times in a day, I will have binned 3 or 4 leaders at the end of the day. Goes through the stock quite quickly when fishing a lot - eg on a week's holiday.

If I go for an afternoon on a river, I'll just have a spool of nylon for putting on a tippet and a single dry fly - like everyone else who has no concept of the boat-fisher's requirements. 😜

Col

JCP

The methodology goes hand in hand with time spent on the water.

The paragraph headed up by FFS is a classic and should be filed for the next time it is needed.Just sayin'

JP

speytime

I wet my knot with spit, pull it together, i then hook the fly to my forceps/nippers to tighten and pull up fully, if it doesn't break at that point I'm confident it'll land anything I'm likely to hook.

Al

Cap'n Fishy

Would it be feasible for sinking the leader?
I've never used, seen or touched glycerin but being hydrophilic?

Al
Loads of folk make up their leadersink with a mix of Fuller's Earth, washing-up liquid and glycerin, including me. However, the main job of the glycerin is as a humectant, to help stop the mix from drying out... which it does anyway. So, I carry a wee bottle with a mix of home-made surfactants and degreasing agents (eg Surfex HD, dishwasher rinse-aid and alcohol). I add a few drops to my leader-sink mix at the start of each day. You need the main ingredients to be surfactants that are trying to remove lipid build-up from the leader and to break the surface tension on contact. I reckon there are many things better than glycerin for that.

The very best degreasing agents are things like D-Limonene. However, you can't use them in your degreaser, because they are totally hydrophobic and totally lipohillic. They'll take the grease off your leader brilliantly, but then they will stick your leader to the surface tension every bit as well as it would stick if you had run it through Mucillin. Doh! So, whatever you put in your leadersink, it needs to be an 'amphiphile' - both water-loving and grease-loving... for example, soap! That is where the washing-up liquid and other surfactants come into it. Surfex HD is a water-based degreaser.

Col

speytime

Loads of folk make up their leadersink with a mix of Fuller's Earth, washing-up liquid and glycerin, including me. However, the main job of the glycerin is as a humectant, to help stop the mix from drying out... which it does anyway. So, I carry a wee bottle with a mix of home-made surfactants and degreasing agents (eg Surfex HD, dishwasher rinse-aid and alcohol). I add a few drops to my leader-sink mix at the start of each day. You need the main ingredients to be surfactants that are trying to remove lipid build-up from the leader and to break the surface tension on contact. I reckon there are many things better than glycerin for that.

The very best degreasing agents are things like D-Limonene. However, you can't use them in your degreaser, because they are totally hydrophobic and totally lipohillic. They'll take the grease off your leader brilliantly, but then they will stick your leader to the surface tension every bit as well as it would stick if you had run it through Mucillin. Doh! So, whatever you put in your leadersink, it needs to be an 'amphiphile' - both water-loving and grease-loving... for example, soap! That is where the washing-up liquid and other surfactants come into it. Surfex HD is a water-based degreaser.

Col
I've got a small bottle of ionic wetting agent for foliar feeding seedlings/cuttings, leafs naturally shed water this stuff stops water beading and rolling of the leafs, it completely wets them so they can absorb the nutrient applied.

I've tried it before whilst experimenting with tippet sinking, it made the tippet disappear on contact.. but testing in the bath isn't anything like testing on a loch...
However it worked well enough for me to fill a small bottle and put it in my bag typically I've not tried it in situ yet 🙄

Al

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I've got a small bottle of ionic wetting agent for foliar feeding seedlings/cuttings, leafs naturally shed water this stuff stops water beading and rolling of the leafs, it completely wets them so they can absorb the nutrient applied.

I've tried it before whilst experimenting with tippet sinking, it made the tippet disappear on contact.. but testing in the bath isn't anything like testing on a loch...
However it worked well enough for me to fill a small bottle and put it in my bag typically I've not tried it in situ yet 🙄

Al
Yeh - I bought some of that plant-wetting stuff to experiment with a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever did much with it. I must dig it out and have a play with it...

Col