stupid question about backing.

dom

I have an old reel that I want to put some backing and a line onto.
Question is, how do I know how much backing to put on?
What I want to know, is there an easy way other than, putting shed loads of backing on, then tying on the fly line, then realizing after winding half of the fly line on that it is not going to fit, then taking off the fly line, estimating how much to chop off the backing, doing the whole procedure another three times.....

Hang on I think I have worked out how to do it.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Tie the line onto the backing, then stick the fly line to the reel, and wind it on backwards.
Is this how everybody else does it ?
I feel rather silly now, so will go and get my coat.

stylie

I kinda do an educated guess when putting line onto a new spool. Take the line out of the packet and place it over the spool. Note where the line goes to on the rim, if its very loosely coiled double to where it goes on the rim or not so loosely coiled go times and a half. You should have a mental note where the line reaches up to, and the difference between it and the lip is roughly the amount you need for backing(say a 1/4in for example).
Hard to explain but its fast and good enough for the fishing we do in these isles

garethl

Pro Member
This is a pet hate of mine to be honest.

In the past I've wound (and unwound) the flyline on (and off) the reel up 5-6 times in order to get the backing right!

Once the backing's on, I find it's easy enough to put a new fly line on in the future as the backing's already there.

As for help on how to avoid this? No idea :eek: I just guess.....

lakefisher

This takes a chunk of room to do, but you only do it once:D Does your local fishery have enough distance along the bank ?

Start with an empty reel - With leader attached to the correct end of the fly line, cellotape the leader to the arbour.

Wind on leader, fly line and then the attached backing. Cut backing when you are happy with the filling.

Attach the cut end of the backing to a fence post, tree etc, walk away from it until the reel is empty. Walk back to the post, use an arbour knot to attach the backing to the reel.

Now wind it in - good job done. It seriously helps if the reel is on a rod.

Hope this assists ..... Tony

Last edited:

past caring

Whether you've got a chunk of room or no, a better way is to follow lakelander's basic method but with the assistance of a line winder. That way you don't need a chunk of room, avoid tangles and keep the line and backing under tension throughout the whole process. Yorkshire Game Angling do both the spring and collapsable types at around half the price of those in the Sportfish catalogue. Got both types (and having both types comes in handy) a month or so ago for £30 the pair. Well worth it.

pikey1

spooling up

If you have a spare spool for the reel wind the fly line on first and then the backing to the correct level, once it's filled correctly just rewind it back on to the other spool. Pikey