Sub 1wt

canefly

Anyone using 1wt and below? and which lines are you running on them?
I’m liking the Rio light line DT

skinner

I use this line on my 1wt rod I use it for my 2wt mainly but works nice on the 1wt ... beautiful line ...

skinner

If you have a 0wt rod then you could use just running line ..

canefly

Thats very true Skinner
I reversed one of my light Sunray lines and tried the running line.
It weighed 52 grains 1st 30 feet excluding the level tip and went out nice on my TXL-000wt
The lightest Sunray floaters (0wt and 1wt) are both 2wt lines,I weighed them.
Which 1wt are you using?

skinner

Thats very true Skinner
I reversed one of my light Sunray lines and tried the running line.
It weighed 52 grains 1st 30 feet excluding the level tip and went out nice on my TXL-000wt
The lightest Sunray floaters (0wt and 1wt) are both 2wt lines,I weighed them.
Which 1wt are you using?
I’ve got the cannon 7’6’ trout bum 1wt and I’ve a custom built 7’ 1wt they both work well with the SA mastery DT2, it’s a beautiful line ... well 2 lines if you cut in half and add morebacking.
this is my stream rod thou....2wt

Attachments

• CF8E7D1C-F5BD-4583-99DE-345F6735A3F7.jpeg
    CF8E7D1C-F5BD-4583-99DE-345F6735A3F7.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 70

canefly

Yes at short range going up a line size often helps.
Nice pacey stream there

Carlos

I remember there was a craze on super light rods, 0's and 00's. Sage had the TXL and Quite Taper lines. I have the TXL 7' #4 ...... others had the lighter ones. I use a Superfine Carbon #2 which is wonderful.

eddleston123

Just for my education - What size of fish would you be fishing for with an 0-1# rod - what type of fishing ie sub surface, dry fly - what type of waters would you fish - also what would you see as the main advantages of fishing so light? - These questions are open to anyone that has fished with this light tackle.

Thanks

Douglas

Carlos

You are going to be wading on small streams with wild fish. When on occasion I fish the Wandle I use a 6'6" #2 for example I have a carbon and a glass superfine. I have fished the Duchy of Cornwall waters a few times and when it is calm I'll go as small and light as possible which is a 5' #2 Aln.

Basically, these rods are for wading, small flies and sub 1lb fish and delicate presentations.

The short rod and high flex allow you to be very accurate and get a turn over with very little line out. That is their thing. So if I take my Orvis 6'6" Superfine Glass 1oz as an example it will flick anything out and a #2 is almost over lining. In a tight spot or when you want to get a loose loop for a gentle presentation, you can do it with no effort. Basically, it and it's faster sibling the carbon version are superb tools in the right place.

canefly

Sage made a TXL 000wt... probably a blast to use on the 1 day in 100 when it might be suitable. Having said that, I'd probably buy one!
I have that very rod and its fun on some of the streams I fish, where the trout don’t go very large.
I use a 47 grain silk line on it,which is very light.
It does have more power than you would think though.

eddleston123

Another question - Although this light tackle is in the main for small stream trout, how does it cope in the odd or rare occasion when you hook a 'Lunker' say 2-3lbs?

Douglas

canefly

Another question - Although this light tackle is in the main for small stream trout, how does it cope in the odd or rare occasion when you hook a 'Lunker' say 2-3lbs?

Douglas
Some of the streams I fish, don’t have fish that size.
8-12oz a monster

canefly

As Carlos stated really,ideal for trout up to a pound or so,small flies.
Clear shrunken Summer rivers.

canefly

On a stream last Summer?
I lost a good trout,the hook pulled out.
I saw the trout up close though.
Couple of weeks later I fished the same spot with the 000wt and caught that same fish!
Marking behind the eye gave him away.
I didn’t play it any longer than with the heavier rod.

Whinging pom

Just saw this thread. I fished with TXL 0 weight for many years in our local small brook. It was matched to a quiet taper sage line.
I am a one venue one rod type so I tend to get into the groove of one rod till hopefully it’s second nature. The variety comes with trees, high banks. open banks. Weedy margins, pools, riffles, wind directions and days when my abilities just completely desert me.
Most fish under a pound but the odd two pound + in a season.
I had accusations levelled at me that it was very bordering on cruel as the rod didn’t have the power to bring a larger trout swiftly to net, but honestly if you use them you realise it’s not the case. With a larger fast action rod you tend to just be fighting with the tip flex and in a small stream it’s harder to steer a fish away from problems. When the unexpected larger fish does snatch on , or react to the hook I’m convinced the full flex also helps protect lighter tippets and knots. With the lighter rods you fold your wrist back and the full flex of the rod is working to counter side runs in to marginal weeds where most fish are lost on these waters. You need hieght you hold it above your head, you need compact to the side you have it already. It’s as effective on upstream runs, the only downside was on the odd occasions that the fish got past me and ended downstream with the extra current to pull against. Casting into and across wind was no real problem, getting a good turn over of the tippet was,but you just shorten the tippet and adjust the casting stroke to add a smidgen more punch.
Selling the TXL was a tough call. It wasn’t the line weight it was the length that I found a problem. I lost nearly two feet by changing down to a 6’ 2wt (orvis Helios blank) which has been a joy on our small brook so far.
I’m not saying it’s even best for my water , other guys with longer rods and landing nets can do bank work where I can’t wade, it just suits the kind of fishing I enjoy, wading upstream to sighted trout needing tricky little casts in tight little nooks and pockets.

Last edited:

GEK79

Just saw this thread. I fished with TXL 0 weight for many years in our local small brook. It was matched to a quiet taper sage line.
I am a one venue one rod type so I tend to get into the groove of one rod till hopefully it’s second nature. The variety comes with trees, high banks. open banks. Weedy margins, pools, riffles, wind directions and days when my abilities just completely desert me.
Most fish under a pound but the odd two pound + in a season.
I had accusations levelled at me that it bordering on cruel as the rod didn’t have the power to bring a larger trout swiftly to net, but honestly if you use them you realise it’s not the case. With a larger fast action rod you tend to just be fighting with the tip flex and in a small stream it’s harder to steer a fish away from problems. When the unexpected larger fish does snatch on , or react to the hook I’m convinced the full flex also helps protect lighter tippets and knots. With the lighter rods you fold your wrist back and the full flex of the rod is working to counter side runs in to marginal weeds where most fish are lost on these waters. You need Hirohito you hold it above your head, you need compact to the side you have it already. It’s as effective on upstream runs, the only downside was on the odd occasions that the fish got past me and ended downstream with the extra current to pull against. Casting into and across wind was no real problem, getting a good turn over of the tippet was,but you just shorten the tippet and adjust the casting stroke to add a smidgen more punch.
Selling the TXL was a tough call. It wasn’t the line weight it was the length that I found a problem. I lost nearly two feet by changing down to a 6’ 2wt (orvis Helios blank) which has been a joy on our small brook so far.
I enjoyed reading that.. People will always accuse when they don't understand.. 👍