Substitute for aero wing

mr_eejit

Hello everyone, does anyone know a good substitute to aero wing, I checked online and everyone wants £8 a packet, and that's before postage, seems a bit steep to me for a little packet of it, so any info would be great.

colliedog

This stuff.
Cheap as chips. Have used it for years since it was sold by Niche Products

rabmax

mr_eejit

This stuff.
Cheap as chips. Have used it for years since it was sold by Niche Products
Unfortunately he/she are away until the 21st June, I'll have to wait till he/she gets back

kingf000

Hello everyone, does anyone know a good substitute to aero wing, I checked online and everyone wants £8 a packet, and that's before postage, seems a bit steep to me for a little packet of it, so any info would be great.
I've used this stuff. A bit more coarse than the Tiemco but works well on flies size 14 upwards. I use the Tiemco for smaller flies.

iainmortimer

Assuming you are using it for hackle posts then just about anything that you can get to stand up from calf or buck tail to CDC or wool. The closest though is Antron

mr_eejit

Assuming you are using it for hackle posts then just about anything that you can get to stand up from calf or buck tail to CDC or wool. The closest though is Antron
I bought some stuff on eBay that said was aero wing, and it doesn't seem any different from the Antron that it already have, i have Antron in a few different colours, maybe the stuff on eBay is just Antron but seller claiming it's areo wing, it only cost a few pounds that's what makes me think it is, especially when they charge a lot more on the fishing shop websites.

arkle

There was a post on here, several years ago, that suggested you could make a similar type of product. By immersing some poly-yarn overnight, in one of the proprietary liquid floatants & then letting it air-dry before using it. Never tried it though.

iainmortimer

I've only ever used Antron and can't say I've ever had an issue with it and that includes when I use it for wings on spinners when its in direct contact with the water.

kingf000

I've bought some cheaper aero wing than Tiemco on e-bay that claims to be the hollow fill fibre. I used it for the body of some grey dusters, keeping the hackle to a minimum assuming that the low density body would keep them afloat. Unlike when I used the Tiemco aero wing, they immediately sank! So I'm highly sceptical about this cheap stuff. I've reported before that the hollow fill can fill with water if you don't seal the ends, making them more dense than simple antron! For that reason I make sure that I seal the ends when I varnish the head.

I've done this stuff a mis-service. I did the same experiment I did with the Tiemco stuff. I weighed out 3g and left it in water for 1 minute then dried it. If it were hollow the water would be absorbed by capillary action and the weight would increase. If solid, the weight would stay the same. After soaking and drying the weight increased by 3 fold, which is a lot more than with the Tiemco aero fine that only doubled in weight. Once the water is in the fibres, it takes ages for it to go, so even after 2 days the weight has only dropped by 1g. You can stop the capillary action by blocking one end, not just to water but also to air. It looks as though it is quite difficult with this coarser stuff to block the end sufficiently. Just whipping the stuff on doesn't seem to work so I'll try varnishing the end of the aerowing before building up the body.

Last edited:

Latest posts