Suir t'ing

MrP

Off to Fethard (Tipperary) area next week.
Anyone got any advice/experience to share on fishing there - Anner, Clashawley, Suir, Drish.
thanks
P

haggstock

I shall watch this with interest I'm going over to work for a few days in July and will tack a few days fishing along with it :thumbs:

sewinbasher

I've fished the Suir a number of times. Some say it's as close as Ireland's got to a chalk stream, but it's actually a bit more Derbyshire Wye in terms of character and the right approach. It has very good fly hatches, with some good browns up to around 20" or more. Fethard is sort of in the middle of the catchment but not on the Suir itself, from Cashel downstream it is quite a large river, think Welsh Dee to get some idea, but upstream of Golden it's a slightly smaller river than the Monnow at Tregate.

I have fished both areas of the river and would personally choose to fish the river between Cashel and Golden although having said that I haven't fished the river for five or six years. I think I got my ticket for the very good local association water at the Hayes Hotel in Thurles. The Drish is a decent stream that meets the Suir around Thurles, it's also a limestone stream and has some decent fishing. They are both excellent rivers for a dry fly man. :D

I know little of the Anner other than it's also a limestone tributary of the Suir, I mention this because not all Suir tribs are limestone, some are a bit peaty. I have never fished the Clashawley I'm afraid but Fethard stands on it I think.

Just one word of warning, the rivers can get quite weedy but at this point in the season it shouldn't be too bad, especially the downstream areas.

If you need flies (and advice) whilst you are there I can recommend Andrew Ryan's set up at Clonanav (near Ballymacarbry) but his fishing is a little pricey.

Last edited:

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Patrick get in touch with Hugh O reilly ,member here though he rarely posts
Try his shop number 67A York St, London W1H 1QB
020 7258 1233
He has been doing Suir trips for many years ,catch him on the right day and he will talk at great length.

MrP

Have fished Suir before - Ardfinnan, Newcastle, Knocklofty as well as up at Twoford bridge - also fished the Nire and Tar. This time I want to explore some of the other tribs and further up the "mainstem"
I fished many years ago with Andy Ryan, one of the finest casters I have ever seen, but do not reckon to pay large sums for Irish fishing!
Hopefully looking forward to seeing good hatches of BWO (only seen 2 on Monnow so far - not that I've been anywhere near it lately!)

P

sewinbasher

Sorry Patrick, I hadn't realised that you were at all familiar with the river. With that knowledge my original post seems unnecessarily patronising.

I recommend that you try the Golden to Cashel area as it's a nice little river up there, as long as there is not a prolonged dry spell.

MrP

Not a problem,Paul. I appreciate your advice.
I am hoping for a "prolonged dry spell" all next week!

headshakes

Hi P, you probably already have, but if not pick up Peter Oreillys book, rivers of Ireland. Has a lot of detail of everywhere really. Fished out of that book in some lovely quiet places for 3 years when I lived over there. Post some pics when you get back!

lubagh

I would highly recommend Swiss Cottage day ticket on the Suir.

Only €20 for a day permit, and can be picked up at the corner shop at the square. Excellent trout fishing, and you can drive right down to the river, so your car is safe.

Robbie

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Hi P, you probably already have, but if not pick up Peter Oreillys book, rivers of Ireland. Has a lot of detail of everywhere really. Fished out of that book in some lovely quiet places for 3 years when I lived over there. Post some pics when you get back!

I have this book, but to be honest it's worthless.

Get on facebook etc and check out the local shops. Andrew Ryan is a top guy and happy to share information about the local rivers.

where's as Peter O Reilly's book just mentions about a few lines and a contact number.. I have the book, and I'd be happy to give it away. :eek:

oweljack

On the Suir up from Holycross yesterday evening B.w.o. and some sedges ,had some nice trout to 2 lb fishing c/r . a local chap had a 4lb 8oz trout in one of their competitions Friday night, talking to the locals they are having very good fishing, and here in Ireland and elsewhere in the world Peter O Reilly a great servant of irish angling, great books that have stood the test of time, and a great help to the visiting angler.

paddy5

On the Suir up from Holycross yesterday evening B.w.o. and some sedges ,had some nice trout to 2 lb fishing c/r . a local chap had a 4lb 8oz trout in one of their competitions Friday night, talking to the locals they are having very good fishing, and here in Ireland and elsewhere in the world Peter O Reilly a great servant of irish angling, great books that have stood the test of time, and a great help to the visiting angler.

Spot any mayfly coming off around Holycross Oweljack?

MrP

Thanks for all your helpful advice - I'll do well to fish every recommended stretch!!!!

I guess evening sessions are most likely for success just now?

MrP

'twas hard going with nothing hatching during long hot days reminding me of the old truism - No food = no fish.
Only real fishing opportunity was from about 9.30 in the evening till too dark to see fly on the water just after 11 - a benefit of being several hundred miles west in same time zone.
I fished the main Suir at Twoford bridge and walked it at Golden and Holycross, checking views at Ardmayle, New and Camus bridges.
Drish looked good but very overgrown - great for trout but pretty unfishable mostly.
Mainly unproductive on the Anner (only fished in the day) although the Cashawley was great with trout to 14" - ranunculus growth will make it very hard in a couple of weeks but now nicely defined the runs deep enough to hold trout - a hidden gem where I met several fishermen "in the know".

Cashawley and Anner - Fethard & Killusty Angling Club - 20euros per year
Tom Sayers in Patrick's Place, Fethard.

Suir - 15euros per day or 50 for a week

Above Holycross to Thurles and the Drish
from Anner Hotel in Thurles (not Hayes Hotel "we don't do tickets now we're in receivership") or Glasheens Abbey pub in Holycross

From Holycross down to Ardmayle bridge - as above

A ticket from the Bridge House pub at Golden will give you access from New bridge to Ballcamas bridge - about 6 miles of river! I think the same club controls the water below New bridge too - I'm sure I fished it a few years back.

Some fantastic water but, as ever, totally dependant on conditions to appreciate at its best. One can enjoy blizzard hatches of BWO at this time of year - just didn't happen this time. I'll be back!

Latest posts