Summer Pike on the Fly

studley

Hi All,

I'm keen for your views on summer pike fishing. To be clear, for me the fish's welfare comes first but I have seen mixed opinions on 'taking a view' whether the water is too hot/low oxygen or not. I know the traditional river piking season is October onwards but keen to hear your thoughts.

With the likes of Eyebrook offering stillwater fishing (unless too hot) across the summer I understand deep stillwaters are obviously going to be cooler.

I've chekced the local bylaws with the tickets I have and theres nothing explicit written about it.

What are you your views on fishing a river/canal at this time of the year for pike? Crack on or wait until autumn?

Rob Edmunds

There is no right or wrong answer, but the same applies for any species of fish in my opinion.

Play them hard, unhook them, and put them back and there should be no problems....there are slight variables ie stillwaters, running water, etc..

It usually all goes wrong when people play the fish too lightly, then worry about touching them or their teeth, have a photo ( and don't know how to hold them, drop them etc...) and then try and put it back...and wonder why it goes belly up.

If releasing bully the fish.....its the only way, then unhook and release

shuck raider

For a bit of a change during the summer, I enjoy fishing for jacks in various local rivers - they seem to like a bit of sun-bathing in the shallows. Preferred option is surface lures e.g. poppers etc. Very exciting to stalk them and watch the take. Next best thing to dry fly fishing :)

gordond

If by summer you mean raining all day, no sun and the temperature creeping momentarily over 12°C then this fish is a summer pike on the fly! Caught last Tuesday 'somewhere in Westmeath'. It was my first decent pike on the fly.
The other guy on the boat landed a 23lb fish using a home made lure on his jerk bait rod.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

studley

Nice fish! I take your point re. our summer weather and think i shall just take a view on it when it comes to smaller rivers/canals. Keen to get out now!