Summer Trouting 0n Stillwaters

3lbgrayling

I may be Preaching to the converted,but if you are fishing Stillwaters for trout at this time of year,You need to think about your tactics.9am till 5pm will probably end with a blank. 1st light or dusk wil be your best bet and you will probably get a fish. not a suntan.

Jim

GEK79

I may be Preaching to the converted,but if you are fishing Stillwaters for trout at this time of year,You need to think about your tactics.9am till 5pm will probably end with a blank. 1st light or dusk wil be your best bet and you will probably get a fish. not a suntan.

Jim
Your right.. I went to the lough yesterday warm windy had 2 takes on a nymph.. Then nothing until after 6pm when a bloom of sedges appeared and the fish were on I caught one trout small and fat.. And released.. I caught some sedges.. Or they caught me..

Attachments

wobbly face

I think it depends on the water. Club res fishes well 9 to 5 this time of year. It is at a high altitude, deep and has a good wind blow on the water. Another res I use to fish was almost similar, this however had a shallow section which would be devoid of fish at this time of year.

GEK79

I think it depends on the water. Club res fishes well 9 to 5 this time of year. It is at a high altitude, deep and has a good wind blow on the water. Another res I use to fish was almost similar, this however had a shallow section which would be devoid of fish at this time of year.
The lough I fish has a 5ft shallow then a drop.. A dangerous drop.. There is a granite I think rock face and plantation its a fantastic lough.. And the rises are like clockwork.. There is a stretch where almost every time the fish start rising its there but I'd need a boat to get there.. Stay safe all..

eddleston123

Jim

That's the reason why civil servants don't do too well at this time of year!

Douglas

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

I think it depends on the water.
Agree with that Ged. Still been doing well with dry mayfly during the day on Menteith, and currently getting good sport with sea trout on Loch Hope.

The older I get, the more 'gentlemen's hours' appeal to me! 😜

Col

mackiia1

About 20deg +or - a couple, then they head for the deeps..Coming up in the dark. brownies are long gone to the deeps by then.

Jim
Thanks Jim - I am heading out fishing tomorow , weather permitting .I think I will delay my start time until late evening . Better to have 2 or 3 hours with possibly a good chance of a few fish than flog it all day and be totally fed up by the time the fish start to move.

3lbgrayling

You should be here.About 2'' of rain has fallen today .Floods everywhere..Might just have a wee swish at the Salmon Tomorrow.If it stops raining.
But the browns in my club water have been turning on about 9pm well into the dark.But the problem has been the amount of bats.Hitting line and rod tip.Don't want to catch a bat.

Jim

mackiia1

You should be here.About 2'' of rain has fallen today .Floods everywhere..Might just have a wee swish at the Salmon Tomorrow.If it stops raining.
But the browns in my club water have been turning on about 9pm well into the dark.But the problem has been the amount of bats.Hitting line and rod tip.Don't want to catch a bat.

Jim
Pretty miserable here too Jim - windy , cool and wet . There are thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow morning but its meant to dry up in the afternoon. Current forecast for my local Stillwater area for tomorrow evening is , mild, light winds and dry . Looks promising.
I must invest in a water temp gauge thingy.

Last edited: