Sumo rod rack

lavo85

Anyone ever had issues with these?

i was lead to believe they were the best, but each time using them they have came loose whilst driving, slowly to be very thankful with a few grand mounted on them.

The ones i have are the suction kind.

icejohn

Well any of the suction kind I have had come loose if I hadn't wiped the roof clean before clamping into place.

lavo85

Well any of the suction kind I have had come loose if I hadn't wiped the roof clean before clamping into place.

ive been wiping the surface down with a dry cloth but still they work their way lose once driving.

icejohn

Well I would check with the manufacturer personally. Rods ain't cheap these days. Can't really afford for the bracket to keep getting unstuck.

Plus err the pr damage like. Product like that needs to be known to work well.

Last edited:

running bear

I use homemades as high rise sumos werent avaialble back in the day, although mechaism is similar. A quick wipe with a wet cloth does the job,but a dry cloth doesn't lead to a good seal.

My current bonnet isn't as flat as previous cars either, so limited to where i can get it to bite, but once it bites, it doesnt move.

Attachments

• 16202157335092715213561888240723.jpg
    16202157335092715213561888240723.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23

stevel

I have not had any problems with my Sumo but as suggested I always clean the surface and the rubber suction cup and they are adjusted so that its very tight when the clamp is closed.
I don't think I'd carry rods on the motorway though. I was on a destination trip once and about a dozen rods were on the rack (not sure which type) when it came off on the highway when travelling to another beat. Top end rods strewn everywhere! Luckily a guide advised me to take down my James Reid Spey and put it inside the truck!

running bear

I’m thinking of getting one of these to go inside the Kodiaq I’ve just bought.

I tried those, didn't work as well as i thought.
With light trout rods, or salmon gear where theres low branches, i started to use 3m pipes (50mm dia) from the parcel shelf though to the dash. They are secured on the middle rear head rest, so they dont move.
Any trout rod upto 10'fits great, with the reel resting on the shelf and butting up against the pipe.
Salmon and switch, i take the butt section off, use the tube for the top 3 sections and lay the butt section accross the parcel shelf.
Stops flies and leaders getting caught up etc.
Dont know if youve 3m clearance on a kodiak.

sean freeman

I tried those, didn't work as well as i thought.
With light trout rods, or salmon gear where theres low branches, i started to use 3m pipes (50mm dia) from the parcel shelf though to the dash. They are secured on the middle rear head rest, so they dont move.
Any trout rod upto 10'fits great, with the reel resting on the shelf and butting up against the pipe.
Salmon and switch, i take the butt section off, use the tube for the top 3 sections and lay the butt section accross the parcel shelf.
Stops flies and leaders getting caught up etc.
Dont know if youve 3m clearance on a kodiak.
I could fit a 9ft rod in the i30N and the Kodiak is a lot longer, I’ll measure it first and see but I’ll come up with something.
46CBFA7C-13CC-4F6D-B5E7-FFF61DF807C7.jpeg