Sunglasses

uptomyknee_s

I have been putting it off long enough and I have I decided to buy a decent pair of Sunglasses.
I'm leaning towards a pair of Costa del mar tuna alley 580p. If anyone has any opinions on these or would like to suggest an alternative I'd be pleased to hear them.
Thanks
Graham

arawa

After a lot of research into user opinions I would have liked Costa sunglasses but I need prescription lenses and it is no longer possible to get these in the UK. I was advised by an Optometrist that prescription Maui Jim lenses were actually better than Costa (she was adamant and got quite huffy when I demurred) and there were no others better on the market. I had an appointment to buy a pair of MJs cancelled when lockdown started.
Mind, prescription Maui Jim’s make rods look cheap!

glueman

After a lot of research into user opinions I would have liked Costa sunglasses but I need prescription lenses and it is no longer possible to get these in the UK. I was advised by an Optometrist that prescription Maui Jim lenses were actually better than Costa (she was adamant and got quite huffy when I demurred) and there were no others better on the market. I had an appointment to buy a pair of MJs cancelled when lockdown started.
Mind, prescription Maui Jim’s make rods look cheap!
if you know better than your optometrist get her job. Eyes can't be replaced take her advise they are experts and they do not believe adverts

pati

Smith Techlite Photocromic copper mirror. Won hatch magazine « best most versatile glasses » 8 years in a row...

Love them

Paul_B

I prefer bifocals as my distance is ok but close up needs help, the opticians make mine so I can see the eye of the hook clearly, then they sell me clip on Polaroid to fit the glasses for around a tenner. :)

Secret Angler

I hear you can make a good coffee from them (or is that bad coffee?).

One problem with expensive glasses is if you drop them in the river.

uptomyknee_s

Thanks for your opinions guys. Like Paul_B I have no problem with distance work I struggle with close up reading etc. I do like the Costas but I'll have a chat with my optometrist first and go from there.

karlpolly10

Hi i have a pair of smiths outback, they are great glasses, bought mine from optimal optic in Madrid. great price and great service. they are optictians so will help with with a precription.

squimp

I have prescription Maui’s and my fishing mate has 3 pairs (he is sponsored by them).

i pay for mine and reckon they are as good as any and I love them.

make sure you buy frames that fit your face/head shape and the right lens. I prefer the Maui bronze. i find the rose let’s too much light thru’. However my mate likes glasses that have a higher light transmission than I do.

just for the record I spot fish better than he does !

petevicar

Sunglasses and the price of sunglasses is a bigger load of bollox then expensive fly rods. From what I read from the OP he has no problems with distance but need glasses to tie on flies etc. Either get a pair of bifocal polarised or get a clip on to fit over your current glasses.

I have fished mainly in the tropics were good quality sunglasses were essential. I have had prescription varifocals, Maui Jim bifocals, Oakleys, Costas and clip ons. At the end of the day it's all down to how much money you want to spend, just like a fly rod.
If you are just fishing in the UK then I would suggest that expensive sunglasses are not essential.

Pete

Last edited:

BobP

I'm 90% blind in my left eye and have been since birth so have had plenty of time to get used to it! I need glasses for reading, computers, and fly tying but a couple of years ago found that my distance vision needed sharpening up just a little.

Specsavers did their usual 2 for 1 deal and I got the reading glasses plus a pair of polaroid sunglasses to my distance prescription and they have been first class. I'm due a visit as soon as the Covid thing eases down.

The only issue is that it is a bit irritating having to carry two pairs of glasses when fishing. I can't get on with bifocals probably due to the eyesight issue in my left eye, so I just accept the irritation.

lhomme

I've used lots of plastic ones up to Smith, but changed to Lenz Optics when they came on the market. Never looked back. Hydrophobic Zeiss lenses, flexible titanium frame, durable hinges and lightweights, a joy to wear all day. I've got the "Ponoi" with brown lenses and used them extensively for all my fishing. Still wear them today on every occasion the sun is out, not a single scratch on them.

tenet

I've used lots of plastic ones up to Smith, but changed to Lenz Optics when they came on the market. Never looked back. Hydrophobic Zeiss lenses, flexible titanium frame, durable hinges and lightweights, a joy to wear all day. I've got the "Ponoi" with brown lenses and used them extensively for all my fishing. Still wear them today on every occasion the sun is out, not a single scratch on them.
Uttings have Lenz sunglasses on offer.

lhomme

Uttings have Lenz sunglasses on offer.
I sold them too when I was still working in retail along with many other brands, no advertising though, I had ample chance to try them out and test their quality. Wouldn't wait, if I were you.

geenomad

Hi Graham
My answer to your question would vary considerably depending on the range of uses you have in mind for the sunglasses. If it does not involve fish spotting then buy whatever takes your fancy - budget, looks and performance. FWIW I'm awaiting receipt of some new prescription multifocal polaroids from specsavers. I don't intend using these for sight fishing but for driving when I'm not wearing contact lenses.

For sight fishing I wear contact lenses which give me excellent intermediate to long vision. I wear good quality polaroids such as Smiths and Spotters. (I bought some Costas 580G and was underwhelmed but they look cool and are good for driving.) When I need closeup vision when fishing - like for knots I use a pair of Clic (Tradie) glasses - single vision - which will fit over the sunnies. Sometimes the light and the issue demand temporary lowering of the sunnies. Clic glasses then get put on as normal. Yep I'd prefer to have eyes like did 30+ years ago when I started sight fishing but......them days is done. So my set up of sunnies over contact lens with occasional deployment of the Clic glasses is as close as I can get to my old eyes for acute vision tasks.

Cheers
Mark

BobP

have you tried varifocals
When i was working for the EA we used to get regular eye checks for computer use and if needed the Agency would pay for the appropriate glasses. Varifocals were suggested on one occasion and they drove me nuts. Back to single vision lenses and normality.