Sunglasses

squimp

I’m long sighted so my Maui prescriptions have a fairly gentle Prescription and then a reading lens at the base for close hook tieing. They work fine.

when I had a single vision prescription (Optilabs)) I had to carry cheap reading glasses in my shirt pocket for hook tieing.

Jeltz

I tried varifocals once as well, got them from specsavers so I could change them free of charge within 3 mts if I didn't like them which I did, terrible glasses.
I got prescription polarised glasses as well, they are not great, not as good as standard polarised sunglasses.

I think the way they make prescription sunglasses involves sandwiching a filter between the lenses, this leaves light shaded areas around the edges of the lenses because of the way the filter shrinks when heat treated, so far from perfect.

I was thinking of giving contact lenses a try, then I could wear ordinary sunglasses, the downside is, I need glasses for distance so can't see very well close up, be a right sod taking out contact lenses on the river bank to tie on a fly. :D

uptomyknee_s

Sorry guys I should have made thing a bit clearer, excuse the pun.
I'm intending to use them for sight fishing rather than close up work such as tying flies etc. Once I'm set up I just put my ordinary varifocals away in my vest.

pati

Best thing you can do: read this

2019 polarised glasses shoutout

2015 polarised glasses shoutout

How often do you see shoutouts that are about what best is available rather than « the best new items released this year »?

I wanted versatility so I followed the guide and bought the smith techlite. Incredibly good! Okthe model was released about 10years ago, but so what, they re still the best glasses I have tried by a mile and for once a piece of equipment that did yield me more fish! I have had and tried Maui, Costa, Serengeti etc, nothing come close to these in terms of versatility for river fishing in my opinion and limited knowledge.

catskill

Best thing you can do: read this

2019 polarised glasses shoutout

2015 polarised glasses shoutout

How often do you see shoutouts that are about what best is available rather than « the best new items released this year »?

I wanted versatility so I followed the guide and bought the smith techlite. Incredibly good! Okthe model was released about 10years ago, but so what, they re still the best glasses I have tried by a mile and for once a piece of equipment that did yield me more fish! I have had and tried Maui, Costa, Serengeti etc, nothing come close to these in terms of versatility for river fishing in my opinion and limited knowledge.
Hi Pati,
did you get them in prescription lenses? I've done a search but cant find anywhere this side of the Atlantic which provide prescription versions of the Smith Techlite polarchromic in the lens colour I want.

original cormorant

Lucky you! thanks for the reply, I reckon I'll have to track down a small European optician/dealer who will provide the prescription lenses.
IF I understand what you are saying you want some sexy frames with non-descript presciption lenses. Its the lenses that people buy costas, smiths and maui jims for.

original cormorant

I understand that if you have a prescription and depending on your insurance you may have some of the cost covered by your insurance.
Not any insurance I've ever had or heard of. It may be the case if you're on state benefits, but I suspect not many people on benefits buying polaroids.

catskill

IF I understand what you are saying you want some sexy frames with non-descript presciption lenses. Its the lenses that people buy costas, smiths and maui jims for.
No thats not what I meant. I understand the quality of the lens is the most important thing. Looking online Smith Optics US and UK dont offer prescription lenses from what I can see. I am thinking my best option would be to find a Smith dealer who could provide the lenses in my prescription. Though I do wonder if they will actually be Smith lenses or just a generic version. After all how would I or anyone who is not an optician know the difference?

Latest posts