Sunray fly lines v Snowbee

jonjo66

Years ago I bought a new Snowbee Xs line after trying one. The running line started to crack after three outings, so Snowbee replaced it . After that I treated it regularly with Snowbee stuff, but eventually (after two years or so) the problem reoccurred so I forgot about it and reverted to much cheaper lines. So, now we can buy a Sunray with excellent reports, but having a nano running line, will it eventually suffer the original Xs defects. Users comments eagerly awaited.

Gdog

I don't know anything about Sunray lines, there are a few threads on the forum discussing pros and cons with these lines.

I had s similar problem with a white Snowbee XS line I got free with a subscription to Irish Fly Angler magazine about 15 years ago. It lasted about 20 fishing trips until the running line cracked to bits. It was free so no problem, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Last edited:

bibio1st

Had a few Snowbee xs lines and never had issues, those and the barrio gt90 are my favourite floaters, hopefully the barrios will be back in stock soon.

You might not get the same customer care from Sunray if you have a problem though by the reports on here and FB

Steve

Last edited:

wobbly face

Welcome to the forums jonjo.
Had a Snowbee XS years ago and it was great and lasted well, tip eventually cracked which is normal run of the mill.
I have several Sunray but would never purchase anymore, these were for river fishing 3# and a level. However, those of heavier weight 5# and above seem to be fine according to friends I know using them. Do need to be treated regularly if a floating line.

Rob Edmunds

I have cast both Sunray & Snowbee XS lines a fair bit.. . Sunray lines are overweight ( by at least 1) for their stated rating on the box, so they do cast and load the rod easily, the running line is also very thin so they shoot well, but they don't last that long.

The guy who owns Sunray is a total clown, with no customer service skills what ever and sone of his claims are just fantasy - so I wouldn't touch any of his products with a barge pole....just google "Sunray line rant" or simular on YouTube and you'll understand why.

Snowbee lines are very good, but again they have a thin running line on the XS so again they don't last that long to be honest.

Personally I consider Snowbee a better product ( and much better company) than than Sunray.

If you want a line to load the rod quickly and easily just step up a line weight so WF8 line on a 7 weight rod etc... ( the same principle applies for any brand of line - you get the same results)

Shakespeare Sigma floating lines are very good value for money with very good performance ...so are worth considering.

Rio Gold exceptional but overpriced and dont last either....

But whatever floater you get remember to treat it with conditioner/floatant at least twice a season to get the best out of it.

Last edited:

canefly

I heard Sunray lines were made in the Snowbee factory, working through the night while Snowbee worked by day.
A chap that built rods for Mr Sunray told me this.
Regarding Sunray lines being 1-2 line sizes heavy? Which they are,the excuse was-
“They are all designed for Spey casting”

jonjo66

All I can say is “good luck” to Sunray who have produced what appears to be an easy casting fly line which compares favourably with the new Snowbee at much less money. Time will tell as for its longevity.

Latest posts