Sunray lines

PaulD

I reckon this is his marketing strategy,
Mmmm . . . 'strategy'? . . . 'a plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim.'

No, I reckon it's an ill-judged, emotional outburst (minus shirt) from someone who's lost the plot, even though, at the best of times, his 'plot' had more in common with a traditional fairy tale than reality.

ohanzee

I just watched it, and er..I can show him where I suggested the three colour line a decade ago :)

speytime

I just watched it, and er..I can show him where I suggested the three colour line a decade ago :)
What do you mean by 3 colour, what would each colour represent?
I didn't get what he was on about, rear tapers not being a new thing?
Afaik that's correct they aren't a new thing?

Al

suzzy buzzer

What do you mean by 3 colour, what would each colour represent?
I didn't get what he was on about, rear tapers not being a new thing?
Afaik that's correct they aren't a new thing?

Al
He’s talking about his overhang marker.
head/overhang marker/running line, in 3 different colours.
Not a bad idea in itself, but it still wouldn’t inspire me to purchase from him.

karlsson

He’s talking about his overhang marker.
head/overhang marker/running line, in 3 different colours.
Not a bad idea in itself, but it still wouldn’t inspire me to purchase from him.
Loads of lines have and had that, the sciearra HMT line had its "loading zone " marker at the same spot and fir the same reason back in the middle zero's... the reason for two colored lines where the same, think first rio outbound , yellow head and end of backtaper, it became green and thats when you wanted to shoot. Airflo 40+ first editions, head one color, black mark covering where the head and runningline where melted together, same deal, shoot when that is out the tip a hauls length....

And funny enough, danish Lawson has a line in white with a red marker at the same spot, for the same reason, and have had that for quite a few years now, think 5?

Too many snake oil sellers and magic physics used these days to push products....

Cheers
Lasse

matt808

He bashes other line manufacturers in his videos and claims they won't change to thinner lines because they've invested too much time and equipment in their current lines.
Supposedly the floating lines don't float properly, so it doesn't.matter what other properties they have.
Someone on facebook asked which country he had his lines made in and he said 'multiple', they said which ones and he never replied. Just weird.
Awful customer service, dubious products and off putting owner.
Buy a barrio, great customer service, great lines and great price. Example of how a 'small' company should be run!

Andrew Rourke

I just watched that also, as I'm not a member of Facebook.
I was however a doorman at a busy London nightclub in the early 70's and saw enough people under the influence of exotic substances to recognise it from miles away, and that's exactly what I see here.
This man is absolutely out of his tiny mind on something, and it's not alcohol.
What a complete moron.
Surely commercial suicide.

Andrew Rourke

Can anyone tell me what he has done in the tackle industry for 40 years?
Im no spring chicken myself and this thread was the first I'd heard of the clown?

Paul_B

You just need to watch him in action to realise its going to be bullslip. My first thoughts was that it was a wind up.

corto maltese

Wow !, Lockdown breakdown, poor fella, it's going to take some mending that is 🙄
The looks like he needs a doctor and a spin doctor to clear up the mess
I bet he's in trouble with his Missus though after that !

Last edited:

ohanzee

He bashes other line manufacturers in his videos and claims they won't change to thinner lines because they've invested too much time and equipment in their current lines.
Supposedly the floating lines don't float properly, so it doesn't.matter what other properties they have.
Someone on facebook asked which country he had his lines made in and he said 'multiple', they said which ones and he never replied. Just weird.
Awful customer service, dubious products and off putting owner.
Buy a barrio, great customer service, great lines and great price. Example of how a 'small' company should be run!
Before the founders of Scientific Anglers experimented with plastic lines, lines were thinner, in silk, I think with care(like a silk line) the thinner line is workable and interesting but they do exist and manufacturers can do it any time, they do with running line for example.

I think Mr Sunray is just a bit of a chancer that is desperately trying to hang on to the following of naive people he has created, and is dumb enough to believe that little bubble was going to survive broader scrutiny.

speytime

Afaik hollow beads are used to float lines, to float X amount head weight you need X amount beads, basically you can't make a floating line thinner without trading of buoyancy.
Before the founders of Scientific Anglers experimented with plastic lines, lines were thinner, in silk, I think with care(like a silk line) the thinner line is workable and interesting but they do exist and manufacturers can do it any time, they do with running line for example.

ohanzee

Afaik hollow beads are used to float lines, to float X amount head weight you need X amount beads, basically you can't make a floating line thinner without trading of buoyancy.
There was a big debate on this a couple of years ago or so, I tried to defend the poor guy at the time, you can get more beads in but there is a limit to what you can do, manufacturers try these things and work within the limits of reality, Mr Sunray it seems doesn't have the same limitations :)

matt808

I think Mr Sunray is just a bit of a chancer that is desperately trying to hang on to the following of naive people he has created, and is dumb enough to believe that little bubble was going to survive broader scrutiny.
Exactly, his claim that they won't or can't produce a thinner line is nonsense

ohanzee

Exactly, his claim that they won't or can't produce a thinner line is nonsense
Yes, but he is talking to a closed audience of followers, bit like conspiracy theorists, until they know better they will believe in ghosts.

speytime

Yes that's the one, apparently glass is required for its density and beaded to give buoyancy.

I don't think the major companies will have left much room for improvement in regards to making the line thinner without trading of buoyancy.
Looking over some of the older threads he clearly had people fooled for a while 🤪

Al

I heard it was hollow glass balls that made em float.

wobbly face

Thinner lines, great idea but not practical! As been said, lack buoyancy. Less surface area to float, spend more time (and money) having to add floatant. Same weight as standard thicker lines which doesn't stand up to high sticking as they do sag and hinge (probably more). Their outing coating are thin, easily crack and peel. Only advantage is they can cast better in a cross wind or against.