Sunray world nymph line

billeadie

Shawsburn Village,South Lanarkshire,Scotland
I had my new sunray line out for the first time on sunday.

Ive been messing about between rio nymph,french leader and braid on various set ups,braid certainly gives maximum feel but wraps round rod tip all the time and no use if you need to get any distance.

I would say on first day out with the sunray nymph line it really gives the best of all of above,its thin, low stretch ,no memory,cast a dream and holds of the water no problem at a good distance,certainly far enough for what was required on sunday.

The feel was great and I doubt I missed any bits netting more than 30 grayling from the clyde,my best by miles this season.

Still to find the best connection to indicator and leader as its so thin conventional methods are no use,i tried a tippet ring but kinked it in my haste to get out so going to spend some time today on different conections.

all in all a good start and looking forward top testing on clyde trout shortly.

ps I forgot to say I had a horrible downstream wind and hardly any line was getting bowed between eyes and 3 weighted bugs turned over no problem into the wind.

Guest106

Is that line commercially available now Bill ? Saw it on Facebook last year, looks interesting.

Seems everyone is bringing out a Euro Nymph Line, what with a Snowbee in the pipeline for 2015 and a new Hanak one also due I understand.

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Bill,

What about supergluing a small loop, the whipping over and varnish?

I have done this to the 0.5mm butt end of a French/shock leader, and it's solid.

arkle

The "Snowbee" line, is listed & described in their latest catalogue & it sounds very interesting, multi-rated at #2 to #5 with a "nano-coating. Cost is £47 & I look forward to the next size rating coming to the market.

Guest106

The "Snowbee" line, is listed & described in their latest catalogue & it sounds very interesting, multi-rated at #2 to #5 with a "nano-coating. Cost is £47 & I look forward to the next size rating coming to the market.

It is the Thistledown that is rated #2-5, but you are right about the nano coating and price of the XS-Plus Nymph line.

CF

T

troutbum67

Congratulations on your personal best Bill , that's some going on a big river .:):):thumbs::thumbs:

ChrisAldred68

The line when it arrives will be spooled and you'll look and wonder what you've bought. The control and lack of sag when nymphing is what you've paid for, plus the feel and ability to control it in the wind is worth the money, yes I bought mine as well, as I felt sorry for Tom and his 15 starving cats lol

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
So what actual weight is it? There's enough b0ll0cks with rods, now they're trying to make line rating something more than weighing it :rolleyes:.

A case in point is the new snowbee 2-5 weight line. Incredible technology.

What it does, is it actually changes its own weight depending on what rod it's used on. Nanobots within the coating can detect the line rating of the rod, and can actually adjust the mass of the line to suit that rod.

The nabobots are programmed to make the line a 2 weight when there is just 3 yds of line out of the tip. The same nabobots can detect when the line is used in a 5 weight rod, and when they detect there is 10 yds out of the tip, they change their atomic weight, hey presto you have a 5 weight line.

Judith Hann would have been squirting over this line back in 1978. :eek:

Guest106

Jibe all the p*ss you want but I've actually fished the Thistledown for several months before season end and not just flung it about "on grass". It is a very good line and in fact I haven't read a negative review.

Chin, chin maybe you'll get one for free.

arkle

The original AFTMA line ratings were set up in 1962 & have been used as a (sort of) standard ever since. A lot of things have happened to line technology ever since, though the "standard" system is still with us & hasn't been changed much, if any since then. So when a manufacturer makes a line, to stand any chance of selling it, they have to give you an idea of its weight & potential performance is. So until the system (& US) are updated, these multi-ratings are likely to become more common. A bit like hook sizes, they are subject to a very wide interpretation.

Angus McLeod

Multi ratings for lines are still nonsense. If all manufacturers simply stated the weight of the head, and its length, there could be no possible confusion.

dave h

Can't fault the delivery times - line ordered yesterday lunchtime and delivered today. If I can get it on a reel tonight I'll be giving it a try tomorrow