Sunset earlier this evening

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Taken on smart phone at sunset.

1637627024502.png

Bobfly2

We were looking at it and it did not last long. A neighbour took that one for the village website, which was handy.

Cap'n Fishy

We were looking at it and it did not last long. A neighbour took that one for the village website, which was handy.

Very short lived. I was 2 minutes from home when I took that one in Vicky Park. I would have gone back out with my camera to get a better shot from a better view, but by the time I got in, it was past.

Cap'n Fishy

This was a sunrise I took on my way to fish Coldingham Loch a couple of years ago. Stopped the car outside the local dog and cat home.

Cold07Oct18_5455.jpg

That was shot in RAW format. If you are using your mobile phone to take a sunrise or sunset, you either need to find a way to set the white balance manually, or you really will need to use Photoshop on the shot, because Auto white balance will get the colours of a sunrise or a sunset wrong, 100 times out of 100.

Col

Rhithrogena

This was a sunrise I took on my way to fish Coldingham Loch a couple of years ago. Stopped the car outside the local dog and cat home.

Cold07Oct18_5455.jpg

That was shot in RAW format. If you are using your mobile phone to take a sunrise or sunset, you either need to find a way to set the white balance manually, or you really will need to use Photoshop on the shot, because Auto white balance will get the colours of a sunrise or a sunset wrong, 100 times out of 100.

Col
Most phones shoot raw these days, and HDR, and allow you to set white balance. Sunsets need careful exposure control, mostly. I play with white balance and exposure, and use the HDR setting on mine, and do a bit of post using Snapseed. But I do like the brevity of shooting with a camera that was in your pocket the whole time. Spending a lot of effort in post seems to take something away, rather than add to it for me....
EDIT: I never said what a smooth shot that is Col. Lucky cats and dogs with those sunsets 😉

Cap'n Fishy

Spending a lot of effort in post seems to take something away, rather than add to it for me....

But if you shoot in RAW, you simply have to do some work on it. And it's not a lot of effort. It's a simple process. One minute or so for most images.

If the shot was worth taking, it's worth spending a couple of minutes on it, surely? To me it's the 'digital darkroom'. (y)

EDIT: I never said what a smooth shot that is Col. Lucky cats and dogs with those sunsets 😉

Thanks - though it is a sunrise! ;)

Cap'n Fishy

Most phones shoot raw these days, and HDR, and allow you to set white balance.

How many folk do you think who take photos with mobile phones actually set the white balance before taking each shot? :unsure:

I honestly don't know if I can change the white balance on my mobile phone's camera! 🤪 I must have a look to see!

This is what I got from my phone...

And this is what I got after a quick run through the RAW processor (which will take JPEGs as well...)

The white balance wasn't too bad - I calibrated on the metal kids' chute. The main thing was to balance the sky and the foreground to bring the sky down and bring the shadow detail up.

I also corrected the converging verticals.

Rhithrogena

If the shot was worth taking, it's worth spending a couple of minutes on it, surely? To me it's the 'digital darkroom'. (y)
Good point well made, I guess I haven't really taken the leap....
Ghost final-01.jpeg

EDIT: ok, ok, NOT a phone, but a single exposure....

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

honestly don't know if I can change the white balance on my mobile phone's camera! 🤪 I must have a look to see!
You will be able to. In settings chose manual and there will be a slider (might say 'warmth' or some such...). Exposure and focus too. Mine is a 5 yr old cheap android phone and I can set a focus point, exposure, and wb. Good for shooting from the hip.. .

Latest posts