super bargain rod?

Tangled

My original series Hardy Demon 9' #5 is one rod I'll never part with. It's a 3 piece so that may put some off but I tried it against the newer sintrix version and preferred the more relaxed action of mine. They come up on eBay from time to time if you keep an eye out.

It's hard to beat the higher end Greys in that price range. GR60 and above.

ohanzee

Was really a ball park range but interested in which rod in the 9’ 6” 6wt category people have used (ideally on small still-waters for trout) and would say is a “good” rod?

Obviously a bargain is always welcome anything less than £175 would be great!

Tony

What are you using now as a reference?

JoeOh

It's hard to beat the higher end Greys in that price range. GR60 and above.
My rod for the majority of the fishing I do at Rutland is a GR50. I have no particular feelings for this rod, but it keeps impressing me with it's cability every time. But my Atomsix, even though three times the price is a joy to use..... doesn't really do anything functionally more that the Greys. but I really enjoy using it. Just a lovely thing to fish with, a feel of quality and never will be subject of an advert for sale

Tangled

The GR50 - now called the GR60 painted a different colour - is a very competent, lightweight, medium fast rod at a reasonable price. (The adverts describe them as fast but they're not.) I have the #5 and the #7.

To me rods are tools that once you've experimented a bit to get the right line on them work well for the job you're using them for. I haven't yet found a rod that I can't get along fine with - cheap or expensive. (Except a Sage Xi, which in hindsight probably had the wrong line on it.).

If I use my #5 to throw a salmon lure or big streamer I don't enjoy it but I can do it if necessary. But with my #7 it's great. If I use my #7 at my small local stillwater, I don't really enjoy it because it feels heavy and overkill, but the #5 is perfect and a lot of fun.

There is a joy in owning a well-made object with some kind of personal story though. I do understand that. I bought a Maxcatch Ecco reel just to see what the fuss is about. It's ok, it does the job, it will catch exactly the same number of fish as a reel 50 times more expensive, but it's got no soul.

I think perhaps my next rod - if I ever get one - might be a UK boutique rod.

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

According to eBay's completed items section, my current rod and reel are worth more now than I paid for them new 12 years ago! 😀 The bad news is, I'd probably have to spend twice that to get the modern equivalent replacements! 🙁

Tony Pesci

Th8nk a
If you can cast, you can cast with a garden cane (happy to demonstrate): if you can't?, well the £800 rod might be worse than a cheapo for you.

Get an 8'6" 4wt or a 9'6" 6wt as a backup - pointless having two 9' 5wts at the same time.
Thinking about what you suggested I am gazing wistfully at a 9' 6" 6wt Scierra SRX V2 for just over £100, but given I'm a beginner would I be biting off more than I can chew with a rod like this?

Cheers

Tony

boisker

Th8nk a

Thinking about what you suggested I am gazing wistfully at a 9' 6" 6wt Scierra SRX V2 for just over £100, but given I'm a beginner would I be biting off more than I can chew with a rod like this?

Cheers

Tony

you’ll be fine.... dont stress about it, if you can’t meet up with people to try rods out, then plump for one, cast it, fish it... in time you’ll either stick with the rod or switch it.... or even upgrade it... but in the mean time just get out and get fishing (and practicing your casting :) )
you’ll get 30 different opinions on a thread like this... if you’re really lucky Tangled will get his graphs out... none of the above will help you improve...;)

ohanzee

Th8nk a

Cheers

Tony

If you pay the right price for anything you can sell and break even, if you pay below you can make a profit reselling it, if you pay £20 too much you loose a lot less than some.

beetlebum

Th8nk a

Cheers

Tony
Absolutely not, I had the srx V2 in a 10' for a #6 and I didn't find it overly stiff. They are great rods for the money.

JoeOh

Th8nk a

Cheers

Tony
Buy it, with practise you won't be a beginner for too long and you may appreciate the rod. If not, should be able to sell it here.
All the best on hopefully a satisfying start to the great world of fly fishing

roadrunner1000

I think perhaps my next rod - if I ever get one - might be a UK boutique rod.
Have a look at the Stickman website (not UK but a Spanish/Hungarian collaboration) .
I bought their 10ft 5w a few months ago (can't fault it) and have an order placed for a 9ft 6in 7w . Compared to high end factory rods pushing £1000 Stickman rods are a bargain :)

Rhithrogena

Th8nk a

Cheers

Tony
£100 will get you a lot of options. Any of them will be fine. Pick one and see what YOU think 😉
I like cheap rods (<£50) others like dear rods (>£500).