Sutherland in late July/August?

tynelobster

Just wondering what quality of loch fishing we could expect to enjoy in average conditions in this neck of the woods in late July or August? Are we talking just early and late and midgie city or could I be more hopeful????
Never been up there but always fancied it...................
Cheers TL

bobmiddlepoint

You might catch the end of the mayfly in late July (there could still be a few in August but early - mid July should be peak time). If it is hot by day then early and late with a midge suit it is!

Andy

Scotty Mitchell

Hope for a good breeze!
Fishing should be decent though.
I’m an advocate of DEET, just take sensible precautions with fly lines and such like and it’s all good, you don’t need to bathe in it a wee drop goes a fair way.

jbe3

If there is no wind the midges are likely to be bad at that time of year. Make sure you have a good repellent,I use Smidge, and a hood with a very fine mesh (and no holes). A few pairs of nitrile gloves can also be useful to protect your hands and wrist. If you are unprepared fishing can be very uncomfortable. The fishing can be good but will be affected by hot and sunny weather same as anywhere else.

tynelobster

Thanks for the advice folks - pretty much what I suspected - hoping to go for trouty stuff with an eye on spate rivers for salmon should there be any water.

PaulD

I used to go up to Sutherland, Assynt, for the middle week of June each year. Never troubled by midges, but remember, the weather is predictably unpredictable. There's a lovely saying, "If ya no like the weather . . . wait a minute!"

Last edited:

matt808

Midges were worse in July this year than when we've been in other parts of summer. Wind dropped on the way back from Sandwood Bay, the highest density of midges I've encountered.

bobmiddlepoint

2020 was a very bad year for midges. Loch Hope appears to have had the greatest numbers with some staggering clouds of them.

That said I have been working outside for the last two years in Sutherland and I’ve only had to run for the car on two or three occasions. A midge jacket and smidge are all you need along with an eye on the weather. If you go into sheltered areas on warm muggy days then you are asking for trouble.

Just pray the clegs don’t come out to play (they didn’t this year).

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

Loch Hope appears to have had the greatest numbers with some staggering clouds of them.

Loch Hope, August this year, tackling up at the lochside...

But apparently it was an exceptional year for them, as they squeezed-in an additional generation, so we are told.

But take all reasonable precautions - Apply Smidge and leave no naked, non-Smidged flesh on display...

Enjoy! (y)

shropshire_lad

I have had two trials by flies and neither involved midges.

One was in Shropshire when I was doing a mapping project for my Geology degree. I was in a small valley and suddenly a cloud of those buzzy black flies, bluebottle-type but smaller, descended on me. They did not bite but I just could not shake them off. Don't seem to have had an experience like that for ages.

The second was in the South Of France when out walking and suddenly these biting flies descended on me and again, I could not shake them off. No idea what they were but the bites were immediate and painful.

tynelobster

OK so what if I could make the trip last week in May /first week in June? I'm guessing fewer midges but also few sea trout and salmon but how would the trout fishing be - is this prime time up there??

Cap'n Fishy

OK so what if I could make the trip last week in May /first week in June? I'm guessing fewer midges but also few sea trout and salmon but how would the trout fishing be - is this prime time up there??

John (Colliedog) and I have often had a Sutherland trip the first or second week of June. It is about prime time for brownies. Midges are as midges do... it's probably not the worst time for them, but... take Smidge and a headnet! (y)

Col

codyarrow

May is my favourite month because the trout are really on the feed, and the rich shallower lochs are yet to be choked with weed and still have visibility. There is still enough night to fish the productive dusk period if you are ready to miss the whisky o'clock timetable and want a better chance of a big un.
There would be a run of fish in the river if you got rain - but you are correct the main runs, and volume of fish in the rivers come slightly later.
Not saying you will not get the odd midgie hatch in May but the odds are with you that you won't.