SWIMMING IN WELSH RESERVOIRS

bonefishblues

View attachment 36893

My nearest chapel coincidentally :p

Llys y Fran is my local res, I've fished it for years and I've watched the proceedings there with a deepening sense of dread, I used to love the place, part of its charm is its remote location, there's no traffic noise at all, it's very peaceful.

From my experience of outdoor activities, kayaking, swimming, orienteering whatever, if there's more than one participant they'll shout their fking heads off to each other while they screw up your fishing.
I've got no intention of sharing my fishing so I'll have to drive a bit further to find what I want from a day by the water. Wales is increasingly becoming a tourist playground, the big money's being spent on the kind of people who seek outdoor action and have no inclination to quietly enjoy the countryside, it really pisses me off.
I too don't get the effing shouting from cyclists, boatists, or whoever. Drives me mad. Sound carries on water, so STFUpski!

diawl bach

I can see the argument from both sides. A couple of times I've fished Wimbleball from a boat and there's been some people swimming up near the road bridge, some have even had inflatables! Not ideal but I don't think anglers should have sole use of such resources. Lets face it, in this day and age of endless pollution incidents we need as many voices as possible saying it's unacceptable. If people can't access the rivers, lakes, lochs, ponds etc that we're saying need protecting why on earth should they care whether they're well looked after or not?

I don't buy that, the laws are there. Join Fish Legal, stand up for clean waters, prosecute polluters. Either that or you'll see what happened to Llanishen Reservoir, the water where I learned fly fishing, rewritten in reservoirs all over the country, angling banned, every other water sport under the sun promoted.

Elwyman

Needs proper controls to ensure swimmers are kept well away from anglers. The most accessible part of Brenig is also very popular with anglers. No way would I pay to fish there if the banks were littered with tourists and swimmers.
The water is bloody cold anyway!

Rob Edmunds

It's the Shitty end of the stick once again..... anglers are now being overlooked because there's more money to be had with less effort, and less outlay.

Whats happening in Wales has already happened in the Midlands and I feel sorry that your fishing will also be impacted...

As you know Rutland has a " Beach' by the monument complete with sand and a " Inflatable " area in Whitwell Creek ..

Grafham is going to have a "Swimming area" from G bouy to the Willows on the Dam this year I'm told....

Regular triathlons are held at both Rutland and Grafham with people swimming in the reservoir etc....

Fishing was banned on A.W reservoirs in December because of Covid ( even though the government still allowed angling).....

Yet the car parks remained open in December, with people meeting up and going for walks etc .....

Marlow carpark ( G bouy area) was almost full every weekend with hoards of people, walking, cycling, picnicking etc which was a much greater Covid risk than me wading on my own !

The car parks bring in a lot of revenue ...Sykes Lane Rutland can turn over £100,000+ a weekend in the summer.

Unfortunately the water authorities now recognise the huge revenue opportunities at their reservoirs and anglers will be simply be forgotten about.....

I go fishing for some peace and quiet, not constant noise from idiots with screaming kids, cyclists, bbq, music etc. . . . So NO I don't want to share the water with others especially when they impact on my enjoyment/fishing ( although I've no choice)

Guess I'm just a grumpy old man to most people..

Last edited:

dgp

It has been going on in Scotland for yonks!
Was just never labelled as an activity before!
I remember once getting to end of a drift on a famous central belt fishery, and was several "open water swimmers" just in off bank.
Problem was a couple of nude women, and a very protective bloke, (in his shorts!).
Abuse hurled my way big time, as I was in boat, drifting to-wards what seemed to be a naturist colony!
Was a bit weird!
Was funny when he tried to out swim my outboard!

Bert
Nothing new - I've come across them in all the North Wales lakes and getting more popular each year. Met one chap last year who said their group were setting out to swim in all the upland Welsh lakes - he was halfway through his tick list.. Another said - it's my 70th birthday this year and I plan to swim in 70 lakes in Snowdonia to mark it. Guess we just have to accept it cos the medical profession encourage it for mental health.

Bongoch

It's the Shitty end of the stick once again..... anglers are now being overlooked because there's more money to be had with less effort, and less outlay.

Whats happening in Wales has already happened in the Midlands and I feel sorry that your fishing will also be impacted...

As you know Rutland has a " Beach' by the monument complete with sand and a " Inflatable " area in Whitwell Creek ..

Grafham is going to have a "Swimming area" from G bouy to the Willows on the Dam this year I'm told....

Regular triathlons are held at both Rutland and Grafham with people swimming in the reservoir etc....

Fishing was banned on A.W reservoirs in December because of Covid ( even though the government still allowed angling).....

Yet the car parks remained open in December, with people meeting up and going for walks etc .....

Marlow carpark ( G bouy area) was almost full every weekend with hoards of people, walking, cycling, picnicking etc which was a much greater Covid risk than me wading on my own !

The car parks bring in a lot of revenue ...Sykes Lane Rutland can turn over £100,000+ a weekend in the summer.

Unfortunately the water authorities now recognise the huge revenue opportunities at their reservoirs and anglers will be simply be forgotten about.....

I go fishing for some peace and quiet, not constant noise from idiots with screaming kids, cyclists, bbq, music etc. . . . So NO I don't want to share the water with others especially when they impact on my enjoyment/fishing ( although I've no choice)

Guess I'm just a grumpy old man to most people..
To a large extent I agree with you Rob. Whilst I mostly fish small brooks these days I do enjoy a day afloat on Blagdon & Chew and like you I enjoy the peace and solitude of being afloat, fishing traditional wet style from a boat is how I got started after all! However, I firmly believe that people other than anglers should have access to such resources. If we adopt a look and don't touch policy why should people care about the environmental state of our rivers, lakes and lochs? People talk about climate change as if it's in the future but it's already happened and will continue to happen unless enough people stand up and say it's unacceptable.

JoeOh

The Rutland Beach is a bit of a joke.
Sykes Lane is located at the North East of the reservoir and the prevailing South Westerly winds push algae and other detritus into this corner. Also the human activity in this area, BBQs, etc attract large flocks of Seagulls and Canadian geese, the parking area and grass covered in their droppings.... nice !
Still, hiring a boat gets me to the quieter areas of the reservoir where hopefully some peace and tranquility can be found.

icaughtafishonce

I fish Llandegfedd a few times a year. It's not like it's a really quiet place anyway. There's plenty of other water users. It's a big enough place that I doubt it'll really affect things at all. It's quite common for the anglers to be up the top when the dinghys are more in the middle. I assume that they'll be coralled in to the area you can't fish anyway, near the boat club. With that in mind, I don't see it being an issue.

Hopefully the influx of coarse anglers will keep the venue running as a fishing venue. Well I'm also a 'coarse' angler, but I only fly fish at Llandegfedd. I might go for a bream session this year, but not sure really.

It's a good thing really. I've no idea of what the other waters are like, so can't comment on their suitability, but it's fine at Llandegfedd.

shropshire_lad

I can sympathise with the opposing views on this but generally I'm in favour of more open water swimming in rivers and lakes. It can only help put pressure on improving the quality of our natural waters and directing that pressure at the real culprits in this regard. I'm sure more people have heard about "surfers against sewage" than any fishing pressure group?

Let's face it, serious open water swimming will be a relative minority sport. I'm a decent swimmer but it does not appeal to me particularly.

However, don't get me wrong as I do have concerns generally about how we manage and protect our more remote and wild places. I have an occasional recurring unpleasant dream about my favourite mountain lakes in Wales. I arrive there with my fly rod and there are cars parked up all around the bankside with sunburnt overweight blokes in vests lobbing out swim feeders and then reclining on sun loungers with their transistor radios on. I think this dream is based on actual experience from my youth in the Midlands when a local coarse fishery was actually like that!

Mr Notherone

If angling doesn't learn to share waters there will be no angling, particularly on the larger scale waters where there is the potential for multiple revenue streams.

I also think that the more people we have advocating for cleaner waters and facilities, the better chance of the "don't give a **** politicians" having to listen. Anglers can't be the only ones willing to pay though and with access comes accountability.

One thing is sure, if anglers try to play King Canute on the beach, we'll lose.

bobfly2

In Scotland you can take your kayak or paddleboard pretty much wherever you like. Swim, walk, paddle about and all for free. Only anglers require permission in law, for everything else you have access rights.

ejw

Interesting thread, one item that is missing is the cost of stocking large waters with fish ? As the cost rise, so the profits fall. Owners of the waters will not run at a loss. The competition scene has funded these large waters for years, plus the accommodation sector, but Covid has shown the cracks. If more people can use a facility then costs are spread out !!!! Unfortunately Covid has also increased outdoor activities, not all fishing related ! The danger now is that water owners could find "other" activities cheaper to operate and the high cost of stocking "NOT" worth the returns.
As Covid declines I can only hope that the "New" outdoor activity seekers go home and leave anglers in peace, but I can see a change coming and not for the better.
Anglers need to be more tolerant of other water users on large bodies of water. The competition scene needs to return, that is what pays for "pleasure" anglers. Unfortunately here again I can see a change coming, it is a high cost for regulars and the "Corvid" break could see individuals re thinking their leisure time !
I did this many years ago and moved to small stream fishing & syndicate still waters. This was all down to costs, it was when my regular boat partner (who did fish more competitions than me) decided to finish with the team, as that year (2012) he had spent £10k on his fishing and could no longer afford his team position. I know of others that have doubled that cost !
I still have the odd day on a large water, but as a "pleasure" fly angler only.
Sorry for the negative post.

dgp

Ummm....
People go swimming because it is an evolutionary adaptation that humans have.
It's in our genes, if you like.

Oh, and it's FUN, you know, like fishing...
A study by Dr Chris van Tulleken and Dr Mark Harper, published by the British Medical Journal, discovered that regular open-water swimming results in a post-swim ‘high’, triggered by the release of beta-endorphins, dopamine and serotonin.

Rhithrogena

I'm a fun loving guy but I'd like to think my fun doesn't detract from someone else's.
I agree entirely. I am sure most swimmers would agree too.
There will be friction at popular spots, but crowds of swimmers will only be found during hot weather. Choosing other spots and times to fish will surely avoid the conflict.
Swimmers who swim in all weathers and seasons are far fewer and will be mostly respectful of others I am sure.
Swimmers want clean water too, and will be useful allies in the long run. Maybe some of them will be inspired to learn to fish in the waters they swim.
I also think caution is needed here. It would be easy for swimmers to gain public support for 'Swimmers vs. People who stick hooks in fish' if any conflict escalated.
Times are changing, for sure.