SWIMMING IN WELSH RESERVOIRS

diawl bach

I recognise those scenarios and there's some truth in them, I read Deakin's Waterlog many years ago, it's a good book and I enjoy his work but I saw the implications arising from it and lo, here we are.
There's too much to lose if clubs and riparian owners don't challenge the principles Deakin established, as a sport we need to stand up for our right to fish without interference.

bobfly2

During last summer whilst all swimming pools were closed, and still are, a group of eight folk with wet suits and towed lifeguard hard floats ploughed back and forth every day across a reservoir where I go out in my float tube. There were three dogs as well. Bank anglers were pretty annoyed but the swimmers appeared oblivious. I was able to keep away from everyone, which is the beauty of the tube. The swimmers used to go daily to the university pool and switched venue for so-called wild swimming.
I hope this summer that the pool reopens because they were very noisy !

dodders

As fishermen we generally go fishing for a bit of peace and quiet ideally in an unspoilt natural environment, which is why personally I would rather only mix with anglers !

We have had it good for decades but unfortunately our numbers are declining and consequently we are losing our place in the pecking order.

My local reservoirs, whilst they do not allow swimming at the moment (doesn’t stop people swimming) are actively promoting kayaking, sailing, camping, building more car parks and café’s. I am sure swimming will follow soon. Participants of these other activities have no idea of angling etiquette, it doesn't concern them, so will not keep a distance. Anglers are no longer the priority these days

As someone said previously, the participants of these other activities seem to think shouting and screaming are compulsory!

It’s not for me, so I am going less and less to the local reservoirs, and have re-joined a club with fishing on a river mainly on private land.

JoeOh

As I posted earlier, with a boat I can normally find a quiet area away from areas of water sport activities. I do not have a problem with Rutland Beach as I would avoid the area when being used, and I believe that a lifeguard is present.
The problems would be unregulated swimming. The general public just going 'for a dip'. The reservoir could be a dangerous place indeed if the public decided that 'free swimming' was viable. People are people, and I'm sure that swimming the one mile distance across the main basin would be challenge for some. The rescue boats are generally looking for mishaps that happen on the surface, not in it. We have windsurfing boards that rise up from the water's surface on vanes and traverse the lake at incredibly high speed.
By fishing the reservoir very early or late would avoid contact with most of the day trippers.
In reality I do nor expect myself motoring around bobbing heads in the main reservoir, but knowing AWA, it wouldn't surprise me if they cordoned off a section of the reservoir such as Barnsdale Creek for free swimming.... Not dissimilar to Whitwell Creek's Aqua Sports centre.

Oh damn it.... I've given them an idea !

BobP

Interesting thread, one item that is missing is the cost of stocking large waters with fish ? As the cost rise, so the profits fall. Owners of the waters will not run at a loss. The competition scene has funded these large waters for years, plus the accommodation sector, but Covid has shown the cracks. If more people can use a facility then costs are spread out !!!! Unfortunately Covid has also increased outdoor activities, not all fishing related ! The danger now is that water owners could find "other" activities cheaper to operate and the high cost of stocking "NOT" worth the returns.
As Covid declines I can only hope that the "New" outdoor activity seekers go home and leave anglers in peace, but I can see a change coming and not for the better.
Anglers need to be more tolerant of other water users on large bodies of water. The competition scene needs to return, that is what pays for "pleasure" anglers. Unfortunately here again I can see a change coming, it is a high cost for regulars and the "Corvid" break could see individuals re thinking their leisure time !
I did this many years ago and moved to small stream fishing & syndicate still waters. This was all down to costs, it was when my regular boat partner (who did fish more competitions than me) decided to finish with the team, as that year (2012) he had spent £10k on his fishing and could no longer afford his team position. I know of others that have doubled that cost !
I still have the odd day on a large water, but as a "pleasure" fly angler only.
Sorry for the negative post.

Water companies will be highly risk averse. Health & safety will dominate their thinking, that and the fear that some *****, or worse still, a child, will go and drown themselves and then there will be an H & S audit; there will be press & TV crawling all over them for allowing such a dreadful thing to happen.

Fear of this will ensure that they will have to have fenced off areas where swimming can take place. There will have to be two qualified life guards on duty plus a rescue boat to go and fish some ***** out of the water after he's paddled his rubber duck too far out. There will need to be changing facilities and toilets too and someone to clean them and pick up all the litter and cr*p the multitudes leave behind. By the time they've added all this up they will probably come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth the hassle.

glueman

If people knew what was on the bottom they would not swim in them unless they had fallen in,a friend worked on foremark reservoir when it was built he says all sorts got left at the bottom

wrongfoot

[...] A couple of times I've fished Wimbleball from a boat [...]
What's it like as a fishery? I've family nearby who are members of the sailing club and wondered whether to book a day's fishing when I visit again after lockdowns are lifted.

rusty

The Lenches is a good spot for what it is. Two modest sized spring fed rainbow trout lakes.
I enjoy an occasional visit for a few hours. You can camp there and the lodge and free coffee are good.
Rusty

shropshire_lad

Playing Devil's Advocate here, what do you reckon other water users make of us anglers? Lots of comments on here about swimmers, etc, being rowdy and noisy but are anglers perceived as generally unfriendly and stand-off-ish?

Let's face it, most other folk on the water look like they are having fun. Some fisherman may be having fun but they don't show it very well :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if a water company did a survey amongst the general public as to prioritisation of activities at reservoirs how high angling would rank?

I also wonder if something could be learnt from canal anglers who have to live with narrowboats, etc?

Don't get me wrong, you won't get me going fishing in a Centreparks :eek:

fruinfisher

I’ve nothing against wild swimmers. The only problem I’ve got is that the last ones I saw on the LOM didn’t go out of their way to make themselves visible. If I wasn’t paying attention I could have been over them at full throttle. If they’re going to encourage the swimmers then they will have to make them aware of the dangers before anything nasty happens- and it’s going to be the one in the boat getting the blame

bonefishblues

I’ve nothing against wild swimmers. The only problem I’ve got is that the last ones I saw on the LOM didn’t go out of their way to make themselves visible. If I wasn’t paying attention I could have been over them at full throttle. If they’re going to encourage the swimmers then they will have to make them aware of the dangers before anything nasty happens- and it’s going to be the one in the boat getting the blame
They should have (and mostly do have, I think) those orange/yellow floaty-things I think.

Mind you, cyclists in hi-viz get mown down daily...

...and quite rightly raise the issue of drivers of more powerful machinery not keeping an effective look-out for vulnerable users, as they should be (and as you clearly were).

Prolifichare

The increase in the popularity of wild swimming will have a very large impact on increased water quality. Now the River Warfe is designated safe for swimming others will have to follow this will equal better fishing.

ejw

Is there a season for "Wild Swimmers" ? If so are they Non Migratory or is a separate licence required. Also is there a size limit ?
Have come across a few. One in particular springs to mind. A group of us went to try Tenkara above Tittesworth Reservoir, we were split up into 2's on a very small stream. My friend and I had a couple of fish and were making our way to the one large, deep pool (less than5m x 3m, but 3m deep against the rock face) when a young couple stopped at the deep end (it was a hot day) She took ALL her kit off and dived in. We stood and politely waited for her to finish, but no, she just got out and lay on the bank to dry off. We did ask her if she had seen any fish down there ? She just asked if we would like to have a swim in this hot weather. The water was very cold !!!

Mr Notherone

Is there a season for "Wild Swimmers" ? If so are they Non Migratory or is a separate licence required. Also is there a size limit ?
Have come across a few. One in particular springs to mind. A group of us went to try Tenkara above Tittesworth Reservoir, we were split up into 2's on a very small stream. My friend and I had a couple of fish and were making our way to the one large, deep pool (less than5m x 3m, but 3m deep against the rock face) when a young couple stopped at the deep end (it was a hot day) She took ALL her kit off and dived in. We stood and politely waited for her to finish, but no, she just got out and lay on the bank to dry off. We did ask her if she had seen any fish down there ? She just asked if we would like to have a swim in this hot weather. The water was very cold !!!

And yet there are those who claim the rod licence isn't value for money................

Reactions: ejw