Synthetic quill

11foot5

Which synthetic quill is the best? I’ve tried a few but not particularly happy, maybe there’s a better one out there? Thanks.

PaulD

Simply, they're no substitute for the real thing and I really don't understand why people use them as substitutions as they lack the subtlety of quills. I did buy a packet of Semperfli just to try them out, they're ok . . . but not good enough for what I want.

PaulD

I'm sure you're right. I must admit, I spend no time attending to rams testicles these days collecting ideally stained wool for the benefit of tying 'genuine' Tups Indespensibles and as for boiling the biscuit coloured fur of an otter's throat in red ink, I think Edward Powell would have used my Zelon dubbing for his Orange Otter if he could have got it. (y)

Having said that, I'm still not keen on synthetic quills, they're straight, no taper and the colours are a touch 'bling'.

dgp

Having said that, I'm still not keen on synthetic quills, they're straight, no taper and the colours are a touch 'bling'.
[/QUOTE]
Hemingways synthetic quills are tapered but I would still prefer the real thing !

11foot5

Thanks for all the replies gents. Looks like there’s nothing to beat the real thing (unfortunately)!