Tackle Insurance

ed_t

My home and contents insurance is up for renewal. In amongst the small print a new exclusion for personal possessions stolen from an unattended car. Spoke to the insurer but they said it should be covered by car insurance. I have a company car so wouldn't want to try that for when I'm fishing.

Leaving fishing gear locked in the back of the car, out of sight is par for the course for me so I guess I've been lucky.

Can any one advise of insurers who do cover personal possessions in a locked unattended car, or do any of you have specific insurance for your fishing tackle?

Any good or bad experience with insurers?

I don't have any super expensive gear, but just thinking about it a thousand flys at 50p a pop is £500.

I'd be gutted to have to make a claim and find that the small print ruled it out.

BobP

I can promise you that you will not be able to claim for flies. Fly boxes yes, so I suggest you get yourself fly boxes at £500 a go. 50p a go is way too cheap anyway. I usually carry around 1000 flies at least when guiding, and retail for decent flies from Fulling Mill is about £1.75. I tie all my own so it wouldn't rack up to that but it would still be a very considerable loss.

I had my car broken into quite a few years ago and my tackle bag stolen. Half a dozen reels, half a dozen fly boxes containing around 1500 flies. The insurance covered the reels, lines and fly boxes, but flies are expendable.

Apparently if you are sensible and keep a list of your kit, eg make, model etc. it is regarded with suspicion by insurers. B8ggered if I know why!

arawa

It was some time ago but I had my car broken into in a station car park. My insurer at the time was very difficult over the claim perhaps because it quite legitimately although suspiciously included binoculars and a camera. Only items for which I had a receipt were allowed and the depreciation they insisted on was horrendous. Given the excess and the loss of NCB it was not really worth making a claim.

I have one embarrassingly expensive rod and I have that included as a specific item on my house policy - but it does not include being left unattended in a car!