Tackle shops re opening

codyarrow

Just got an e mail that John Norris shop opening on Monday. Guess there will be similar elsewhere?

sean freeman

Fly Only in Huddersfield is my nearest shop now since Tony’s shop in Stockport went. Stuart who runs it is a top fella and I’ll keep supporting him whilst he remains open, you can’t beat dealing with someone face to face and having a chat about all things fishing whilst doing so.

Peter Arfield’s shop in Bakewell is the same, a little treasure trove tucked away in the centre of town. It’ll be a sad day when tackle shops are no longer viable.

Paul_B

Fly Only in Huddersfield is my nearest shop now since Tony’s shop in Stockport went. Stuart who runs it is a top fella and I’ll keep supporting him whilst he remains open, you can’t beat dealing with someone face to face and having a chat about all things fishing whilst doing so.

Peter Arfield’s shop in Bakewell is the same, a little treasure trove tucked away in the centre of town. It’ll be a sad day when tackle shops are no longer viable.

I like fly only, I used to like their casting days so I could catch up with old friends (y)

codyarrow

. It’ll be a sad day when tackle shops are no longer viable.
Not that far off. I took a look at GAC accounts a couple of years back, and John Norris for some reason have hidden theirs in accounting mist. They make profits but it would not take much to tip the balance.
What I cannot understand is the service from maxcatch seems to be cak and the prices are levelling, yet people still support them over providers that have been there all their fishing lives.

sean freeman

Not that far off. I took a look at GAC accounts a couple of years back, and John Norris for some reason have hidden theirs in accounting mist. They make profits but it would not take much to tip the balance.
What I cannot understand is the service from maxcatch seems to be cak and the prices are levelling, yet people still support them over providers that have been there all their fishing lives.
Exactly, it’s a throw away mind set. If you break a £40 Maxcatch rod you just buy another. There’s nothing personal about it, every one of my fly rods I can put a name to a face for either it’s purchase or the maker in the case of custom rods.

As Maxcatch corner the lower and mid market they’ll up the prices but the damage to the U.K. tackle industry will be done by then anyway. I don’t understand why they’re worshipped by some but it is what it is.

wobbly face

Why buy a rod that was probably built in China from a tackle shop at twice the price of getting it direct from China?
Once over, if you bought cheap you knew it was cheap. Rods as thick as a telegraph pole and as sloppy as boiled celery, not so these days.
I can see fly only shops struggling but those that sell coarse tackle will still be going, you can't get fresh bait of the slow boat from China.
The like of Norris will still continue as they don't just sell fishing tackle.
Changing times, some of it forced upon us, some just a trend.

BobP

Maxcatch succeeds because they have realised that a high proportion of anglers just want cheap and don't much care that it is rubbish into the bargain. It's better still if the item is a shameless rip-off of a much better branded make., eg Maxcatch Gold & Rio Gold.

eddleston123

I've never owned a Maxcatch rod. -

Would you say they are just cheap rubbish - or - just good value for money.

There's a big difference between the two.

Question for Bob - Have you ever owned a Maxcatch rod?

Douglas

Rhithrogena

Maxcatch succeeds because they have realised that a high proportion of anglers just want cheap and don't much care that it is rubbish into the bargain. It's better still if the item is a shameless rip-off of a much better branded make., eg Maxcatch Gold & Rio Gold.
The state of manufacturing in this country is not China's fault. Maxcatch succeed mainly beacause they provide high quality for cheap prices. They admit their Gold is based on the Rio Gold, with enough changes to not infringe cooyright. Not the first company to use this as a business model.
I have a rod from them, a couple of reels and several lines, all excellent. I haven't got a decent fly shop near me so have to buy online. I am not paying Hardy/Greys prices for new 'British' rods, nor for virtue-signalling US hype brands, so mostly use 2nd hand Scottish made Daiwas.
The online shift in retail is here to stay; this is the reason local shops are closing. Buying high-end tackle isn't going save the UK economy. Nor is having a dig at those who choose to openly buy products branded as Chinese, rather than rebadged by others with western brand names.

sean freeman

They don’t have to make changes as there is no copyright law in China, the taper is exactly the same as Rio Gold. I don’t see how US brands that manufacture domestically are virtue signalling either? They just provide products that are produced by local people that receive decent remuneration for the work they carry out.

Obviously western manufacturing, wages and distribution isn’t cheap so that’s the catch. I get the points about rebranded tackle, I try to avoid that as best I can but rebranded tackle mainly features in the low to mid range, Korean rods seem to take over from mid range up.
Loop for example sell Korean made rods at the same prices as the British made Hardy rods (just the HBX range?) and top end Sage, Scott, Loomis rods etc. They must be making a decent profit on them.

Rhithrogena

They don’t have to make changes as there is no copyright law in China, the taper is exactly the same as Rio Gold. I don’t see how US brands that manufacture domestically are virtue signalling either? They just provide products that are produced by local people that receive decent remuneration for the work they carry out.

Obviously western manufacturing, wages and distribution isn’t cheap so that’s the catch. I get the points about rebranded tackle, I try to avoid that as best I can but rebranded tackle mainly features in the low to mid range, Korean rods seem to take over from mid range up.
Loop for example sell Korean made rods at the same prices as the British made Hardy rods (just the HBX range?) and top end Sage, Scott, Loomis rods etc. They must be making a decent profit on them.
It's a minefield for the ethical purchaser for sure. As for line tapers, well all branda have cooied each ithers ideas for yonks, haven't they.
I meant that the US brands are used in a virtue-signalling way by consumers. Like you aren't serious if you use low end gear. All the logos on clothing etc. It's all huge business, isn't it. I can't stand logos, though, so maybe it's me 😂

sean freeman

It's a minefield for the ethical purchaser for sure. As for line tapers, well all branda have cooied each ithers ideas for yonks, haven't they.
I meant that the US brands are used in a virtue-signalling way by consumers. Like you aren't serious if you use low end gear. All the logos on clothing etc. It's all huge business, isn't it. I can't stand logos, though, so maybe it's me 😂
Ah I get you now, some virtue signal but I think a lot of people are just tired of watching the big brands who have built a good reputation being undercut by a faceless corporation who give nothing back to the fly fishing community. Many of the big players in the industry support the likes of trout unlimited or the wild trout trust and other organisations that aide in habitat restoration.

I wouldn’t question anyone for purchasing cheap gear, it’s just the the price would indicate someone is getting shafted somewhere along the line, for example if you can sell a reel for $10 and still make a profit. It’s just something to be aware of, also slightly ironic as I type this on my Chinese made iPhone!

Scotty Mitchell

I seem to remember you buying stuff from Maxcatch, Bob?